EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Rattles in doors

I've had my car for about 7 months now and it seems to have developed very annoying rattles in both front doors, especially in cold weather. Having owned an R26 Megane before this car you could say that i should be used to them! The difference in the Megane was that everyone had them so consequently you were bound to find someone who had a fix!!!!

The rattles are especially evident on rough tarmac and sound like a gentle tapping on something metallic. Sounds like they are coming from around the door lock area on both doors. Not loud but very annoying. Not something i'd expect from Audi. The car has been a lovely place to be during warm weather.

Anyone familiar/got an idea for a fix?
    Matt.

A3 SB BE 170 TDI Quattro- Phantom Black
    If women can multi-task why can't they approach a roundabout and look right at the same time?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Try silicone spray on door rubbers, I did mine yesterday and it's sorted it out

5th Gear

Status
    Does it sound like a creaking kind of noise over rough road. I have this to on my three door i have tried nearly all the greases on the door seals.

Doesnt solve it, I even have Krytox which is the very expensive lubricant from VW but that doesnt help either, I have instead narrowed it down to the furry seal which is present on the window channel frame. When i roll my window down the noise stops so its that area which is the problem i think.

Im going to have the doors aligned and if necessary eventually just change the felt seal around the window channels
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Try silicone spray on door rubbers, I did mine yesterday and it's sorted it out
    Thanks, i'll give this a go. Should have thought really as it is the standard fix on the R26 for the 'creaky dashboard'. i'll see what happens over the weekend.
    Matt.

A3 SB BE 170 TDI Quattro- Phantom Black
    If women can multi-task why can't they approach a roundabout and look right at the same time?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBE View Post
    Thanks, i'll give this a go. Should have thought really as it is the standard fix on the R26 for the 'creaky dashboard'. i'll see what happens over the weekend.
    Careful using the silicone has made mine worse over time, Use something like Gummi Plefdge instead.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

Neutral

Status
    I have the same issue its seems to come from the seal at the top of the window! Fine when it's raining but when its dry it's pretty bad! I think it is the dry rubber squeaking on the window as whn a move the window 1-2mm its solves the issue, I take it silicone spray sorts this?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI Sport View Post
    I have the same issue its seems to come from the seal at the top of the window! Fine when it's raining but when its dry it's pretty bad! I think it is the dry rubber squeaking on the window as whn a move the window 1-2mm its solves the issue, I take it silicone spray sorts this?
    Mine is now constant rain or no rain!

Been fighting with it for months myself, Some people recommend rubbing a black crayon on the felt instead of grease. I have tried grease on that area all it does is make a nasty mess on the windows avoid the greases they will leave grease marks on your windows.

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Don't use silicon it ruins the rubber seals over time and you'll be faced with even worse creaking. Use Krytox, it's about the best stuff.

My last S3 used to rattle from new too, very annoying when you spend £32k on a car.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

5th Gear

Status
    Would you suggest using krytox on the window channel felt? I layered a tiny bit on there but it hasnt done anything at all.

Would a door adjustment help with this as i do think my doors are sagging a little bit

Interior Next!!

Status
    s far as i know the only way to properly solve this is a new wondow restrictor!! Krytox is 2nd best. But you will need to keep applying it. Although some of the squeak comes from the furry stuff. How to sort that i dont know. I just open the windows 1-2mm regardless of the weather. I HATE RATTLES!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

No misfires.

Status
    Rattles are the absolute bain, still suffering from squeeky Recaro bucket seat (given up) and more recently parcel shelf (easily fixed I guess). At least you know where its origins are, the first hurdle to overcome in any rattle solving quest.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

events moderator

Status
    I've got two very annoying rattles one from the rear shelf and the other one the drivers door when the window is down and the music is on (not loud) it just rattles away really really annoying lol , rear shelf is a very common one
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ok lets be clear hear, are they rattles or squeaks like dry rubber on glass moving back & forth.

If its a rattle from behind the lock area, it could be the lock cable isnt pushed into the locked position which is basically a plastic channel that holds the white plastic part of the cable in place.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Mines creaking! Its not a rattle or squeak at all but a rubbing surface creak.

Im certain its the window on the felt seal but my seal looks fine? I have lubricated the actual door seals properly with krytox but no change.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhan View Post
    Mines creaking! Its not a rattle or squeak at all but a rubbing surface creak.

Im certain its the window on the felt seal but my seal looks fine? I have lubricated the actual door seals properly with krytox but no change.
    Exact same as mine - has been in once to Audi garage for the application of lubricant to window seals but it's still no better.
    Really is anoying rubbing sound and lets the otherwise quiet car down.
    Guess I'm going to have to get it in again before the warranty runs out.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rennie View Post
    Exact same as mine - has been in once to Audi garage for the application of lubricant to window seals but it's still no better.
    Really is anoying rubbing sound and lets the otherwise quiet car down.
    Guess I'm going to have to get it in again before the warranty runs out.
    Its driving me nuts, Constant over bad roads its creaking like anything both doors. My car is out of warranty now so im stuck with it! Let me know how you get on i have tried lubricants and everything last resort it getting the seals changed. I wonder how much that is going to cost!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Both my front doors rattled when the windows were fully up. It seems the top on the window frame flexes a little when the windows are wound up. I think this then rubs against the felt causing the squeak / rattle. I gently struck the inside of the frame with the palm of my hand and so far no more noises for the last 2 weeks

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like i've got a mouse living in my passenger front door !!
    Mod's so far : oem privacy glass
    S3 rear bumper
    19" speedlines
    FK highsport coilovers
    debadged
    rear wiper delete (got but not done)
    S3 front bumper ( waiting to go on)

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhan View Post
    Its driving me nuts, Constant over bad roads its creaking like anything both doors. My car is out of warranty now so im stuck with it! Let me know how you get on i have tried lubricants and everything last resort it getting the seals changed. I wonder how much that is going to cost!
    I've just treated my seals and felt with Gummi Pfledge and it's worked a treat

no more rubbing sounds as I go over bumps

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    I've just treated my seals and felt with Gummi Pfledge and it's worked a treat

no more rubbing sounds as I go over bumps
    Thanks - I'm off to BMW parts asap as Audi's stuff clearly doesn't work!
    Restoring rubber seals with BMW Gummi-Pflege

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mine rattles when the window is fully up and it's the guides on the window regulator. I had to get a new regulator, and the guides are just not quite as secure as the originals. It's fine when the window is down or partially open as the glass holds the guides steady.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If it still rattles with new parts then its not fitted correct, I would get it removed & check it properly as its secured by 2 screws at the bottom & 3 at top along with 4 big feck of bolts for door tops, so cant see how its rattling so much, there is a clip aswell you push the wire cable into, maybe this hasnt been fitted properly.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK