Chris NottBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NHN

Thread: While the glove box was down...

Neutral

Status

Lightbulb While the glove box was down...

Evening all !!!

Currently in the process of doing a Retrofit Project on my A3 - and while the glove box compartment was detatched I noticed this:-

Can someone inform me what that part was for? And what will it affect. It's obviously snapped at its ajoining point, but for the life of me I can't understand how it would have stayed attached together when the furthest right part goes down with the access panel of the glove box...

If anyone has a picture of their's in proper condition it may give me better understanding of how I can fix it.

Cheers everybody !!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats the sensor to turn the glove box light on and off, mine has snappedd off too, dont think you can replace it without changing the glovebox.

Neutral

Status
    Audi wanted £27 to investigate why my glove box light did not work i am not sure where I read it on this forum or another and it read that if your glove box fell with a clunk it may be the bracket that holds the piston it has snapped it makes it open slowlyas mine has the same as yours in the picture.£27 totake of the access panel takes 2 minutes do thanks to forum members they saved me some money.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by roman3000 View Post
    Thats the sensor to turn the glove box light on and off, mine has snappedd off too, dont think you can replace it without changing the glovebox.
    Yeah just what I thought it would be. Ah.. so not much I can do, not a massive issue - cheers roman3000!

Status
    Just a small piece of meccano or similar would easily fix that
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mozza1202 View Post
    Audi wanted £27 to investigate why my glove box light did not work i am not sure where I read it on this forum or another and it read that if your glove box fell with a clunk it may be the bracket that holds the piston it has snapped it makes it open slowlyas mine has the same as yours in the picture.£27 totake of the access panel takes 2 minutes do thanks to forum members they saved me some money.
    Hey yeah it's simple to take the whole thing off £27 to take a look? pffft Iv had a few issues with Audi the past few days - to say the least they are official cowboys. Thats what I love about this forum

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Just a small piece of meccano or similar would easily fix that
    I was thinking of using some adhesive to glue it back together... But as Iv notice if I put the snapped bits together and open the door of the glove box; I dont see how it opens any further than about 4inch?? If that makes any sense.. Its like its reached it extension, but that would be stupidly unrealistic to have a 4inch gap get to access into the glove box.

4th Gear

Status
    i used araldite on my old car to reinforce mine
    Audi S3 8P2 Silver
    BI-Xenons - FBMFSW - Rain/Light Pack - Auto dim package - iPod Integration - 2011 Nav - Electric Folding Mirrors - Rear Park Sensors - Full Heated Leather - BOSE - Privacy Windows - 2011 Console Conversion - My11 Rear Lights - RevD Diverter - Forge DMV14T BOV - ITG Maxogen CAI - BBS CH 18s

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    glue it and oil the shaft so its easier to open.
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

Reverse Gear

Status
    Also see GloveBox

I
    ts a damper to control speed that glovebox opens but also turns light on/off

events moderator

Status
    common problem that is seen loads and loads of them broken in work and guess what mine is too lol its the damper for the glovebox also doubles up as the light too need to fix that some time
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I repair these all the time tbh, take the small piece of the tube, superglue the 2 pieces back together, just to hold the correct position, then epoxy up the stem & around the base of the main part so it has good grip, rough up the plastic beforehand so it has good adhesion aswell, make sure its left to set for a day before reattaching, that way its hardened well, then get some vaseline or grease & stick some inside the tube, work it back & forth (without getting to excited), gauge for yourself how easily you'd like it to move open, I ussually then clean some of the lubricant out of the tube to give it a little more friction, reattacxh, test the movement then check the light goes on/off, job done.

They break simply because they loose the ability to drop by themselves & people pull them down open, thus snaps the plastic in half.
    rdhighoctane likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

events moderator

Status
    bad design i think lol
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I reckon the surface of the rubber bit inside the tube loses its ability to move smoothly, thus more friction & becomes harder to move thus people yank them down, if audi were to redesign the rubber part or whole part better, it wouldnt happen, but alas do you think audi listen to us, answers on postage stamp.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK