Cant make my mind up...Audi S3 s -tronic or megane 250 rs? Advise needed

RedDejavu

Reaction score
Website
www.sunnytree.co.uk
Hi guys,

Thinking of getting new car Jan/Feb (60-11 plate) and would like to know any pros/cons of the above cars. I test drove megane 250 and its nice but the interior and audio:puke2: didnt have chance to drive s tronic S3 yet though. However I'm more likely to go for S3 just for the brand audio system and residuals but will it give me enough fun factor and be hassle free car? So if you could write some pros and cons for me I would really appreciate it and hopefully make final decision.

Cheers lads

Megane? Come on.. :s3addict:

This says it all in your first post -------------> :puke2:

The fact you're posting this on an audi forum says it all. Unless you've also posted on a Megane/Renault forum, you want the Audi.

Megane is quick and a decent chassis by all accounts, but it's not got the build quality or prestige of the A3. At the end of the day, it's a Renault.

Sorry why does this thread exist. We're comparing here a guy who can afford to buy an Audi with a Renault? Sorry have I missed something? :undwech:

Sorry why does this thread exist. We're comparing here a guy who can afford to buy an Audi with a Renault? Sorry have I missed something? :undwech:

The fun factor sucks you in with the Renault.

:keule:

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Audi every time. But as said above, unless you have asked the same question on a Renault forum you will always get a one sided account.

The Renault is going to offer a much more involving drive out of the box, it will brake better, handle better, probably lap quicker, but where I hit the brick wall it the fact it's nice to have a car that is good to live with day to day.

The Audi will be reasonably reliable, hold good residual value, has more scope if you want to modify, will perform more consistently in the 190 average wet days we have a year..... It's a go anywhere, anytime and with the minimum of fuss kind of car that gets under your skin the more time you spend behind the wheel. It never looks out of place.

Spend any amount of time in an Audi interior (which lets face it is where you spend the bulk of your time when you drive it), and most other cars just feel....cheap.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Really appreciate everything you said so far and all your thoughts help me a lot.

No I didnt post anything on megane forum as this is not the point. I own an A3 now and must say this is a great car for everyday use but not that refined (pd engine) nor quick enough;) thats why I want solid upgrade. The only reason I would buy the megane is the chassis but then Audi quality and prestige being solid car with 4wd and efforthless s-tronic gerabox make me feel special every time I sit in it rather than no offense to anyone feeling like 18 years boy racer in fwd renault:]. Not to mention tuning potential is better in favor of the S3.

The Renault is going to offer a much more involving drive out of the box, it will brake better, handle better, probably lap quicker, but where I hit the brick wall it the fact it's nice to have a car that is good to live with day to day.

The Audi will be reasonably reliable, hold good residual value, has more scope if you want to modify, will perform more consistently in the 190 average wet days we have a year..... It's a go anywhere, anytime and with the minimum of fuss kind of car that gets under your skin the more time you spend behind the wheel. It never looks out of place.

Spend any amount of time in an Audi interior (which lets face it is where you spend the bulk of your time when you drive it), and most other cars just feel....cheap.

you got this spot on Warren!

I went from an '06 225 megane remapped to 250, awesome car to drive, chassis, excellent and very quick but when you have to deal with the footwells filling up with water, corroding your looms so the indicators and reverse lights coming on when you brake and the dashboard made out of some left over ice cream tubs.... I thought it was time to buy something decent. 1 year down the line and 21,000 miles my 140TDI SB was well worth it. I don't know what the new meganes are like but an S3 would be better all round in the long run, from every aspect of owning a car.

This is my take on it...

They say to find the best (for example) Indian restaurant look out for the one that has lots of Indian people eating there.
I work with a french guy and he wouldn't buy a Renault.

:end_of_discction:

Reactions: amit91987, Zak0123, andywaddy and 1 other person
This is my take on it...

They say to find the best (for example) Indian restaurant look out for the one that has lots of Indian people eating there.

HaHa exactly! I bought my megane 225 got back down to france to be greeted by my french neighbour who owns an A3 3.2, "why the hell did you by that french piece of crap?"

Reactions: nluk100, RedDejavu and Ads
If you do a lot of track days the Renault is probably a better option, if not.... Audi!

But French build quality is pish. The interior is horrendous, and like all renaults you will be plagued with stupid electrical faults.

lol thats cos N8 upgraded after he saw the light. he went forwards. you cant go backwards!

but i do think the new Megane looks lovely. i almost got one on looks alone.

i don't doubt that rs250 is a fun car to drive, but let's face it's a peace of crap. my friend owned old rs and he had a lots of problems with it in stock form. lot's of other rs models have problems. s3 from a start is a better car. it feels great, it's quick, looks better, you can drive it any time on any weather, and has a great tuning potencial. few tweaks and it turns into a weapon (i.e. roll bar).

Sorry but really do you need to ask that questions? Audi S3 or Megane 250 rs.
S3 all day, the megane not even in the same league in my eyes.

This is my take on it...

Ads is spot on, i like curry and drive a Audi....

Bottom line is you are going to lose a small fortune on a French car of any sort. I only ever had one, a new 406 coupe. in two years from new it had a new radiator ( it burst) , 4 yes 4 sets of coil packs, new engine mounts( they broke). New engine management system, new exhaust !! after 20k miles... The cable that tilted the driver seat snapped and they cant replace it so you end up with a new seat...and the heating didnt work in that...I could go on but as Clarkson says..Cheese eating surrender monkeys cant build cars...........even if the 406 coupe was made in Italy :) Even an RS would be better !!!

Reactions: RedDejavu
Oh please? When did the French ever make a decent reliable car that was remotely aspirational and worthy, apart from the DS of the previous Century that is. Such bland surburban modes of transport.

AND...

Usually whenever I see someone driving (or broken down) in a french car it's more often then not a small Peugeot that doesn't have a single straight panel (inc roof).

They tend to be driven by young lasses with sunglasses the size of a welding mask who are usually on the phone whilst applying make up with a trowel whilst straddling two lanes. I don't even see enough Renaults to be able to draw a parallel, but just the thought has put me off already!

Reactions: Cheese
renault is a french car french cars machnically are like a broken leg once you break your leg it wont be the same ever again (something goes wrong with the french car and it wont be the same again) audis are the cars to get ...... enough said :)

durtytdi140

I got a 200 last Christmas. Within a few weeks it was in for warranty work. 3 seperate issues.

It was returned with a f'ked gearbox and clutch and the mpg was showing 13mpg instead of the 29 when I dropped it off. ;)

This is my take on it...

Soo true about the restaurants! Ashas in Birmingham got to be one of the best.

Now back on track...Audi!

Mate, seriously, with all respect, the decision will ultimately be yours, but to post this on an audi forum, especially A3 section, then my guess is that 10 out of 10 will say Audi for the pure love of it.

Although us Brits have our past with the Germans and French at least the Germans have got something right, their cars! Lol

Saying that, I am a season ticket holder at Arsenal! Could argue we are French, haha.

Good luck with whatever you choose fella.

renault over a S3 ermmmmmm....... let me think??? :tocktock: says it all...

To understand what RenaultSport is, you have to look more towards what M or RS are to BMW and Audi. The real compromise is that a Megane is a little more raw, a bit less rounded and definitely more track and fast-road focused than any S-series Audi.

I don't think that anyone who's properly driven a Megane 250 - let alone owned one - would post some of the negative comments above. They're aweseome machines, as with any of the RenaultSport products since the Clio 16V / Williams of old.

The Megane 250 is based on a car that is arguably further down the pecking order than an A3 / S3. For some people, the squishy dash, thud of doors and damped globebox of an A3 will be enough of a reason to ignore any Renaultsport. However, modern Renaults are certainly approaching VW-alike perceived quality too (not to mention reliability; Renault having fallen into bed with Nissan a long time ago).

Unfortunately, people like me change their tastes, have children and become suckers for a better balance of comfort, image, styling and packaging - and gradually gain more money to spend. That's why I've had my time with RenaultSports and I'm not unhappy in now preferring Audis. I have no doubt that a Megane 250 is better to drive, but as a compromise for real adult life, the S3 has my money.

i have had friends with
focus rs
clio 182
and i had a 206 gti

what you need to remember is when its said and done

rs is a ford focus lol
182 is a renault clio lol
and 206 gti is a pug ( cant spell it)

the audi is an audi at the end of the day
when ppl say what do you drive you will always say its a ford focus rs bla bla bla bla bla with bla bla bal:tumble: ( example)

when ppl say what do you drive audi :blackrs4:

simples.jpg

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, RedDejavu and pinterovski
The wife and I were driving somewhere the other day in my 12yr old A3 1.8T Sport with over 130k under its wheels.She looked at me and said you know if I didnt know better I would think I was in a new car.Ok I have had some issues but touch wood nothing major, how many cars can you say that about this old and with this mileage.