Retro-fitting cruise control - Confused!

PhilPD

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm about to attempt to retro-fit cruise control to my 2004 3.2.

The kit I have (from Audi) includes the replacement indicator stalk with additional cruise stalk, replacement trim and a wire, which the kit says, may or may not be required.

My question is, how do I establish if I need to run the additional wire?

The manual with the kit seems to be aimed at people who have a certain degree of prior knowledge on the system, which I don't.

A Vag-com scan shows one controller as "Steering wheel - 1K0 953 549 A". I tried changing the coding of this controller to show cruise as being present (just a test - the stalk is not actually fitted yet), and it accepted the coding.

Any help would be appreciated... I want to avoid having to do it by trial and error if possible!

NHN or Jb0o will be around to help you out soon. These are both well known and certified jeaneouses.

I'll make the call for you... :sos:

Hi mate, as your steering module accepted the coding, you do indeed have the right module. Now to determine if you have the wire already installed, you need to check the back of your steering ecu, you will see two connectors. If there is a wire in Pin 13 of the black connector then you already have the wire in place.
Remember you will also need to code the engine module in login to 11463.

Check this link mate it has been discussed before

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...l-question-slightly-different-one-though.html

Thanks for the replies. I checked position 13 on the black plug to the steering controller and it was empty, so I put one end of the repair wire in it and then ran the wire through the plastic guide under the column as per the instruction manual. Now I'm stuck again! I can't find where to put the other end of the wire. The manual mentions a radiator coupling but this means nothing to me? I'm not sure if I have to feed the cable out into the engine bay or if it can be connected under the dashboard?

Sorry to be a pain. I realise this has been asked many times before but I can't find a suitable guide :-(

It needs to be connected to PIN4 of a Blue Plug at the top of the dash board pretty much inline with the drivers side heater vent.

Someone on the forum managed to put the wire into PIN4 using needle nosed pliers but I've found this impossible to do, the proper way, which is a bit of a nightmare is:

- Remove the wiper blades
- Remove Plastic scuttle panel
- Unscrew wiper motor mechanism to revel a panel
- Unscrew the two bolts on the panel, remove the panel to reveal the blue plug.
- Disconnect the plug and push the blue connector that the plug was plugged into, into the dash
- Fit the cable into PIN4 and connect everything back up.

Job done :)

It needs to be connected to PIN4 of a Blue Plug at the top of the dash board pretty much inline with the drivers side heater vent.

Someone on the forum managed to put the wire into PIN4 using needle nosed pliers but I've found this impossible to do, the proper way, which is a bit of a nightmare is:

- Remove the wiper blades
- Remove Plastic scuttle panel
- Unscrew wiper motor mechanism to revel a panel
- Unscrew the two bolts on the panel, remove the panel to reveal the blue plug.
- Disconnect the plug and push the blue connector that the plug was plugged into, into the dash
- Fit the cable into PIN4 and connect everything back up.

Job done :)

Let's hope the blue plug is there !!!!

Thanks for the replies. I ended up taking the scuttle panel off in the end.

I now have a steering wheel warning light and fault code of "steering angle sensor" and a series of beeps when i turn the ignition on, but I'm hoping I just need to run basic settings or something. (ran out of time to investigate before work)

Thanks again.

Thanks jb0o. The warning lights/beeps actually stopped after 20 yards or so of driving, so I guess things just needed to get back in sync.

I finished fitting the cruise control. I took the wipers/scuttle off to connect the aditional wire to the blue plug. For some reason, it's not working, though. Using the measuring blocks of the steering controller I can see that some of the cruise functions are being recognised (speed up and speed down) but it doesn't seem to register the set button.

I noticed after a search on here that some controllers don't use the set button, but no matter what I do with the stalk, it won't work.

I have recoded the engine ecu and it's showing a 'g' in the relevant field. I'm starting to wonder if I have the wrong cruise stalk.

Anyone know if there is any way of checking with the engine ecu to see if it's receiving a signal from the cruise? I couldn't see anything in the measuring blocks.

I have steering controller 1K0 953 549 A

Thanks again.

Hi mate, the cruise will work different on yours being you have the older steering module.

To activate ready for use- pull forward
To set speed- click stalk down once (replaces pressing "set" button)
Speed up and slow down- as on stalk
To resume back to last set speed- click stalk up once ( replaces pulling stalk towards you)

In measuring blocks with your module, it will only read speed up and down saying "accel" and "delay" and also "activated" and "off"

Hope this helps mate.