JMB RetrofitsBadger5

Thread: stolen keys

imported_MartMac

stolen keys

This is the story. My car keys have been stolen, I still have one set, but obviously someone out there has the other set and can get into my car at any stage.
    Now apparently the immobiliser can be reprogrammed so that they can't start the car, but they can still get into it any time they like, this means that I cannot leave anything in it. Also they could always drop a match inside or something like that.

There must be a solution to this. Do I have to change the locks? Can I get the door delocked and get both the immobiliser and the remote re programmed? Anybody know? This must have happened to someone else before.

thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status

Re: stolen keys

chances are your car insurance should cover the cost of getting the locks replaced...

Reverse Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    chances are your car insurance should cover the cost of getting the locks replaced...

[/ QUOTE ]
    .... as long as you weren't negligent in their theft. You know what insurance companies are like!

Rich

Uber Post Whore

Status

Personally Martmac, if my keys had been stolen, i would be on to the dealer to find out what quick solutions there was to this. And doesn't the key still override the alarm and imobilser if the car is started within a certain time span of say 30 seconds. (used in case your key fob battery has run out, and you can still get home).

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

3rd Gear

Status

Don't mention it to your insurance company until you have decided you really want to, as you will loose your no claims bonus and they will insist on changing all your locks.
    What is your excess on the policy?
    I would find out from the dealer what your options are and how much it will cost you, if it costs you 500 to change the locks and not tell teh insurance company it may be cheaper than paying 250 excess and the rise inpolicy next year?

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't mention it to your insurance company until you have decided you really want to, as you will loose your no claims bonus and they will insist on changing all your locks.
    What is your excess on the policy?
    I would find out from the dealer what your options are and how much it will cost you, if it costs you 500 to change the locks and not tell teh insurance company it may be cheaper than paying 250 excess and the rise inpolicy next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Unless of course your collection of diamonds was taken from the glovebox by the same crooks who took your keys... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

Sadly sounds like a lock and ignition kit .......

Status

It would be sensible to fit some kind of mechanical security device in the car (like a Disklok or similar) while all this is sorted out. That should at least prevent theft.

Surely an Audi dealer could reprogram both the existing key, a new set and the car to match to overcome this?

2nd Gear

Status

Yes, but the actual stolen key will still fit the locks and ignition.

And i'm sure, like the manual says - they key will overide the alarm and imobiliser if used to start the car within 30secs of opening the door with the key. (thats how i read it anyway).

It's probably the cheapest option to pay yourself for new locks.

1st Gear

Status

I think they would need to reencode the alarm too? Otherwise I think the stolen key could be used to deactivate the alarm, even though it does not physically fit in the new lock, and will not start the car as it is not coded to the immobiliser.

The only reason I think that is because on my old TT I had a dashpod changed, which I believe contains the immobiliser info, but forgot to give them the wife's key when they did it. Discovered shortly after that her key would still open the car remotely (switching off the alarm and unlocking) but would not start the engine.

imported_MartMac

no alarm fitted.
    although am thinking about it now.
    used to have a golf gti, and lived in town, first day i got it i got an alarm fitted, just moved out of town and figured would be safer so didn't bother getting an alarm fitted to the A3, seriously reconsidering that now.

3rd Gear

Status

In the UK it is but not on European models.