Rear brake pad piston frustration

owenjt

Reaction score
Tried to change my rear brake pads today but had major hassles trying to wind the pistons back in. Don't have a special tool but the haynes manual reckoned you could use a pair of pliers to turn it - what a load of crock! Turned and turned and it wouldn't retract enough and spent ages using a combination of mole grips and a clamp. In the end a mate popped over and through the use of the clamp, grips and a hammer managed to get it to go back enough to fit over the new pads.

Then tried the other side and had the same problem and have had to give up for the night, the piston just will not go back enough. I'm certainly not forking out £35+ just for the tool either seen as it would rarely be used.

So what does everyone else do if they change their own pads, is there a tried and tested method without the use of the special tool?

Also managed to slightly split the rubber casing bit surrounding the piston, would I need to replace it?

Funny... Nobody wants to spend money for the tool that saves time, avoids frustration and sidesteps stripped piston threads, split boots etc.

This is to work on BRAKES... Three things I don't skimp on: Tyres, Brakes & Steering.

There are half-***** 'cube' tools for five quid, but even they are a nuisance to use... Get the right tool is my suggestion. -You can loan it out to similarly-minded friends and have them pay you in beer... -And you won't split any more boots/seals.

Same thing happened to me when I fitted Mintex brakes/pads on my last car and I had the proper tool.....easy to rectify though....it looks as though it might have a 'hydraulic lock' withing the piston. All you need to do is wind it the other way and you will find it rotates no probs. I even cracked open the bleed nipple but it wouldnt budge. Winding it in slightly solved the problem.

You really need to change the dust seal if its split. If you get water in there it will rust and dirt will collect and eventually destroy the piston seal.

Didn't check ebay, only really halfords as it's the closest/quickest place to get one. They do seem much cheaper there though.

And I wouldn't have attempted it had I known I needed a special tool - the haynes manual says if you don't have one you can use a certain type of pliers to turn the piston. When this didn't work I then tried the other methods as I wanted to get it done and clearly now can't use my car until it's sorted!

Will have another look tomorrow and try and get the dust seal changed.

My dust seal is non existent now I've just noticed it when changing my pads :( anyone got a rear calliper going ? Drivers side ha

Same happened to me! had to buy the tool mid job......soooo easy with it tho!

Managed to get it sorted after borrowing a kit from a mate who works in a garage. Will not be attempting again without purchasing a tool next time! Will also ignore haynes manual tips if they're anything like this one!