Badger5EM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Question New S3 engine running in process

Hi there - My new S3 should be arriving in a matter of weeks now, and I was just wondering what the engine running in procedure is for the S3 ie distance and driving style? I have read contradictory things such as:

1. Don't overdo the power as you will knacker it - less than 4k revs
    2. Make sure you use the full rev range
    3. Don't use cruise control as it keeps the revs very constant
    4. Drive as you would normally even if there is a degree of 'hoonage' so the ECU can learn your technique

Ultimately I want to drive it so the engine ends up with the most power when any running in period is over.

Any comments welcome.

Gandy
    Audi S3 Sportback Black Edition | Open Sky | Comfort Pack | Interior Light Pack | Black paint

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandy View Post
    Hi there - My new S3 should be arriving in a matter of weeks now, and I was just wondering what the engine running in procedure is for the S3 ie distance and driving style? I have read contradictory things such as:1. Don't overdo the power as you will knacker it - less than 4k revs2. Make sure you use the full rev range 3. Don't use cruise control as it keeps the revs very constant4. Drive as you would normally even if there is a degree of 'hoonage' so the ECU can learn your techniqueUltimately I want to drive it so the engine ends up with the most power when any running in period is over.Any comments welcome.Gandy
    Don't think you need worry about the most power after running in,as most run out somewhere in the 260-270bhp region,and the engine will continue to loosen up for a good few thousand miles.What's more important is not hammering it for the first thousand miles,as that may come back to bite you later.....sensible use,but not overdoing it.....most modern engines are ready to use straight from the factory,but being careful does no harm either,and mine has just had a bottom end rebuild for more power(at 39 000 miles),and the stock internals were in very good condition at replacement,but the advice again was to run in the new components before turning up the power.

Audi Heaven

Status
    As above really, be gentle with it for the first couple of hundred miles and then use it as you would normally.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Interior Next!!

Status
    as far as im concerned. run in the running gear and your good to go. the engines are ready for use straight away nowadays. transmission, drivetrain all need to bed in though
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon