07 reg 1.6 special edition

Goofturbo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for a new car, what are the 1.6 special edition's 6 gears like?

Does anyone on here have one?

pretty sure it is 5. only tdi's are 6 gears as far as i know unless its a dsg with 7

hell no she runs on fumes i get a daily 45+mpg and on a good run i can get 53mpg and around 570 miles to a tank , but i run her on super unleaded and i don't have the a/c on often plus i haven't got a lead foot so it all depends on how you drive , drive heavy footed they are not that good prob around 30 ish mpg drive lightly and i can see good mpg

Nice 1, i was thinking Tdi but for my budget i can get a newer 1.6 with really low miles:rock:

i wish i got a TDI but for what my car does to the gallon I'm not that bothered at least she looks good lol , you just have to remember if you want good mpg drive easy and it will be good drive hard and it won't be that good simples

Isn't the 1.6 Special Edition the non-turbo version? If so it's a VERY different beast to the 1.6T FSI engine and nowhere near as refined, economical or powerful.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe there are 3 1.6 engines on the A3.

The 1.6 TDI (diesel) - the smaller of the diesels: the economical choice
The 1.6 TFSI (petrol) - the middle of the road TFSI engine
The 1.6 non-turbo (petrol) - An old, cheap engine. Less performance and less economical than either of the turbo engines.

Make sure you know which one you're getting! I might be wrong about which engine the Special Edition has, and apologies if so - just wanted to make sure you didn't accidentally get the non-turbo engine and thinking you were going to get 50mpg.

Last edited:
That's the ****** - I pretty much skipped over the petrols: above the 1.4 my insurance got silly so it made more sense to look at the diesels.

Is the special edition the FSI or the basic though? The 1.6 is slower and less economical than that 1.2TFSI, isn't it?

yeah i think the special edition is the basic 1.6 8v engine and the 1.6fsi is a 16v engine and yes it is less powerful and less eco , but the 6 speed bit confuses me tho i thought only the fsi had a 6 speed box

Mines a 54 reg 1.6 fsi just like frans, 115bhp ours is to be specific 6 gears I like it still beat people at the lights and get good mpg so I'm not complaining at the moment lol.

ouch
mines £115
i have always understood whats the diff is the fsi like the tdi dpf?
cheers
fsi is more power, less emissions ,more mpg ,basically the special edition 1.6 is 8v and the fsi is 16v with direct injection a far better engine

fsi ftw lol , i was taking the **** out of ash-b not long ago as mine is cheaper than his and mine has more bhp and more mpg too lmao still wish i got a tdi tho lol

should have got my old one make 47k she was mint

should have got my old one make 47k she was mint
i wish i got a tdi at the time of buying my current car as she is on finance couldn't afford to do it again in a hurry tho money is tight ish but would love a tdi someday only got a year left on the finance so gonna decide what to do then

quicks have soooooooo many and they are quite well priced for a car super market sepecally if you get a sport.
you gonna get a sb? and are you gonna get an sline ( wish i would have always got a sb sline but i prob would not have got an 8p3 just an 8p2 couldnt have afforded it a year ago) load of ex company cars for sale now and due to it being 2008 when 8p3 came out the market is full of em

I've an 07 1.6 FSI. Great engine IMO, haven't had any bother with mine. Touch wood!

It's quick enough for a 1.6, i think mine is around 120 bhp. I thought they would be easier on fuel, i usually get 380-400 miles from a tank.

I've an 07 1.6 FSI. Great engine IMO, haven't had any bother with mine. Touch wood!

It's quick enough for a 1.6, i think mine is around 120 bhp. I thought they would be easier on fuel, i usually get 380-400 miles from a tank.
I'm sure mine is around 120bhp too john I've got a sport cat on mine got to add something eh lol

I have a September 04 brochure here, 1.6 5 speed was 102bhp, 1.6 FSi 6 speed was 115bhp.

Official figure on combined cycle were 1.6 35.3mpg, 1.6 FSi 42.8mpg
0-60 1.6 13.2 (yawn!!) 1.6 FSi 10.9
Top Speed 1.6 114 1.6 FSi 122

I used to work for audi and had a company A3 which changed every couple of weeks. I would have a 1.9 TDI over the 1.6 fsi mainly due to the extra torque avaliable and also the option to remap it. They do go pretty well when mapped and also retain a decent mpg figure.

Deffo stay away from a modified 2.0tfsi as mine is doing 29mpg driving like a granny lol

Yeah, its definately a huge improvement over the standard 1.6. I was lucky enough to blag my way into the dervs most of the time lol. But the fsi is a pretty damn good engine especially in a relitavely heavy car

yeah I'm happy with it when i bought mine i was a bit gutted i didn't buy the high millage 2.0tdi they had there at the same time but as i drove mine more and saw it was good on fuel i forgot about it i don't rag cars around anymore petrol is too dam expensive to do it nowadays so just cruise about everywhere so it returns a really good mpg figure to be fair so I'm happy for now

Can get the fsi up to 127bhp (if your lucky between 8-12bhp) with remap and then I suppose if you really wanted to spend the money could upgrade air filter, exhaust, induction kit and slowly creep up to 130bhp but is it worth it for a 1.6.

ive got a 59 plate 1.6 (not fsi) its not a great engine but it gets me from a to b, get 250 miles for £50.

in an ideal world i'd have a different engine, but on the whole the cars great and a good price.

We had an 2009 A3 SB 1.6 Technik which wasnt that great on fuel.
About the same as the S3.
It wasnt labelled as FSI so it might have been an older motor, so worth checking the exact engine variant.