Flat bottomed steering wheel

Oreo5000

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondered if all flat bottom wheels were multifunction?
I just spotted this one and it doesn't look like it has any controls
2008 AUDI S3 S3 Quattro 3dr Hatchback

Is it possible to fit the controls if I pick up an s3 without them like the one above?

Your first question you answered already lol.
You will have to buy a new flatbottom steering wheel with the controls if you want them.

Your first question you answered already lol.
You will have to buy a new flatbottom steering wheel with the controls if you want them.

Yeah, sorry I just meant I spotted one without the controls and wondered if it was genuine because I thought they all had them?
Thanks for the reply!

Yeh you can retrofit to make the multifunction to work, some places can do that for you. Think it's about £150-£200 incl parts & labour. I'm selling a FBMFSW if you're interested

Can any MFSW be wired up to work with the single din concert radio? I know the SDS high wouldn't work but does the other functions? I hear you may have to change a module?

Yeh you can retrofit to make the multifunction to work, some places can do that for you. Think it's about £150-£200 incl parts & labour. I'm selling a FBMFSW if you're interested

Sorry to jump into your thread.. I don't have enough posts to send pm's ... how much are you asking for this FBSW?

Can any MFSW be wired up to work with the single din concert radio? I know the SDS high wouldn't work but does the other functions? I hear you may have to change a module?

The only functions that work are volume and radio station/cd track change. For it to work you will need a 'highline' steering control module and 'highline' DIS. You will also need a new airbag wiring harness and VCDS coding. The module from Audi is approx £150 ( very rare on ebay) and the wiring harness is £25.

Be careful when buying a mfsw as not all airbags are the same and will not necessarily fit all wheels.

First thing to do is find out what steering module you have using VCDS.

Well the thing is, even though it doesn't have the steering controls, the guy reckons they were actually in there but he had them taken out because he didn't like them... hmmm.
Is there anyway I could find out exactly what I have?
Sorry I'm not sure what VCDS is mate?

Cheers

VCDS is the computerised diagnostic system for VAG vehicles which, together with the special plug in lead, allows the user to identify any vehicle faults, make adjustments and carry out modifications In case you were wondering it costs about £250 and is available from a member on this forum called NHN.

Check the 'VCDS User' section of this forum for users in your area who can help you find out what you already have.

There is also a member called Jb0o who will do all the work for you (as will NHN) but please be aware that changing a steering wheel on an Audi is not a straightforward exercise bearing in mind steering module/airbag/wheel combinations. !!

Thanks Mike, appreciate the response.
If all the wiring is still there and it is true that he simply had the controls removed, how difficult would it be to add them back in?

I may have missed a point here. I am getting confused with all this ' swap one with controls for one without' business. Surely no-one with a mfsw, flat bottomed or not, would have the controls removed ! I'm sorry but I don't buy the ' he didn't like them ' bit.

Yes you can buy the controls separately from Audi, last time I looked each side was about £120, but surely the guy still has them so why buy new ? Is somebody suggesting that he will put them back in and then do a straight swap for a blank one ?

Now I've got myself even more confused !!!!

Yeah, I did question it and it does seem strange I know. Its from a dealer, he claims the previous owner had the controls and had them removed.. so who know's. He certainly doesn't have the controls lying around spare anyway.

Would you say it was worth it to simply have the controls installed or may I just as well buy a new FBMFSW and have that installed.

Can we re-wind a minute please ? You don't mention what car you have or what year it is unless it's the one in your first post ! If you have a car with a round steering wheel and a shield shaped airbag then you will also need to buy a new airbag as well as the fbmfsw.

If you already have a fbsw then the airbag will be ok to fit a mf wheel. Pictures of your set up would help but you may still need to check your steering module for compatibility with a mfsw.

Can we re-wind a minute please ? You don't mention what car you have or what year it is unless it's the one in your first post ! If you have a car with a round steering wheel and a shield shaped airbag then you will also need to buy a new airbag as well as the fbmfsw.

If you already have a fbsw then the airbag will be ok to fit a mf wheel. Pictures of your set up would help but you may still need to check your steering module for compatibility with a mfsw.
Sorry Mike, yes still talking about the same car. 2008 S3. FBSW without controls.
Here is the exact wheel: http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=1837669714

If you can find a wheel that you want then it will fit ok. In my opinion the only reason your car does not have a fbmfsw is that someone has had your wheel in stock and changed it in order to sell the mf wheel for a lot of money. Your car has RNSe and if that was from new then it would have had a mfsw. Unless of course the RNSe was retro-fitted.

If I were you I would find out your steering module accepted mfsw (which it probably does ) and then buy a wheel off ebay. You will be looking at £300 -£400 without airbag.

Thanks Mike,
I was told the RNSe is the only thing that has been fitted afterwards, so I'm not sure what the original unit was. I do know it has Bose and a CD changer if that makes a difference?

So If I pick one up without an airbag can the airbag from the current one be fitted to the new one ok?
Is it possible to get a leather FBMFSW with white stitching and perforations?

Thanks again

Oreo mate, it is clear that you decided to buy this car before you did any research on Audi's. Nothing wrong with that, or probably the car, but hopefully the full service history is stamped as Audi. This dealer has probably taken the car as px not knowing what the original spec was.

If you find a mf wheel then the current airbag will fit. You may need a new wiring harness.

Yes it is possible to get the wheel you suggested but if it's not on ebay then it's minimum £650 from Audi.

Please do some more research before you proceed !!!!!!!!!!

I haven't bought it just yet mate.
The only Audi I've owned in the past is a TT 225.

Yeah it has a full Audi history I have checked this.

I'm researching now mate, hence why I'm asking all these questions ;)

If I manage to find that wheel on eBay what would I be looking at for fitting.
And would the old wheel be worth much?

Thanks again

Provided everything is a straight swap then the fitting is about 15 minutes.

The old wheel is worth what you can get for it but probably about £250 (but that's only a guess ) !!

Good luck !