New S3 owner questions...

Del_Boy

Reaction score
Hiya

Picked up my 1st Audi today (S3 s-tronic black edition) and got a few things that im not sure about...

I worked out where my DVD drive is and noticed there are 2 memory card slots, where can i buy them and what can you use them for? Watching videos, music etc

Ive got the BOSE sound system and have the audi music centre thing which lets you use your ipod etc but where do you get the cable that allows you to plug it in? And does it work with iphones?

When i put the car into D and move the stick left to manual, it doesnt pick up the paddles on the wheel...do i have to activate them 1st?

Apart from that im loving my new car, cant believe how well it changes gear in auto and love the noise from the engine!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Del

Memory cards are for music, and I guess video might work but haven't tried on mine and don't know if the newer unit (which you'll have) has additional capability like that. You can buy memory cards all over the place - PC World, Currys, Tesco... anywhere that sells cameras will sell them.

I'm not sure which iPod cable you mean. I have an AUX plug beside the hand brake which I can plug a M-M 3.5mm headphone jack into and play music off anything that has a headphone socket on it. AMI has an ipod connection, doens't it? Or a USB socket for using the standard ipod cable? You can get an adapter for making the in-armrest phone cradle work with an iPhone but I don't know if it plays music the same way.

Can't help with the paddles, but can't see why you'd need to activate anything on a car you've just bought. If you retro-fitted a new wheel then you would have to code it in, but not on a wheel that came with the car.

Memory cards are for music, and I guess video might work but haven't tried on mine and don't know if the newer unit (which you'll have) has additional capability like that. You can buy memory cards all over the place - PC World, Currys, Tesco... anywhere that sells cameras will sell them.

I'm not sure which iPod cable you mean. I have an AUX plug beside the hand brake which I can plug a M-M 3.5mm headphone jack into and play music off anything that has a headphone socket on it. AMI has an ipod connection, doens't it? Or a USB socket for using the standard ipod cable? You can get an adapter for making the in-armrest phone cradle work with an iPhone but I don't know if it plays music the same way.

Can't help with the paddles, but can't see why you'd need to activate anything on a car you've just bought. If you retro-fitted a new wheel then you would have to code it in, but not on a wheel that came with the car.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply!

I had a look tonight but as i only picked up the car at 6pm i spent most of the night driving it! haha

I had a look at the AMI and i noticed it needed some kind of plug but i didnt notice if any were included or not...

With the paddles maybe im just being stupid but i put the car in drive to the left and try using the paddles but nothing happens.

Im going to have a much better look at it all tomorrow was just wondering if anyone knew the answers off head.

Thanks mate

Do the paddle changes work when you're in 'D' (they can be used to over ride the auto on the DSG which then switches back to auto after a period of inactivity) as opposed to sliding the stick to the left for full manual mode & just using the paddles to change gear?

The paddles should over ride everything and work in drive or sport or manual. You have a problem. Take it back straight away.

does it change gear if you push the stick forward and back in manual ie: over to the left ?

Hi Del - Your car should come with 2 leads for the AMI system, 1 iPod/iPhone lead & 1 for USB sticks. My leads were in a sealed pack in the glovebox, as for the paddles I think they should work all the time.Karl

Thanks again for the replies boys!

When i had it in + - it worked if i moved the stick forward and back. I will need to try it more today.

I will have a look for the leads but i dont think mine came with any...

I have a brand new set of AMI leads for iPod and USB, sealed in their bag.

PM me if u r interested.

I'm not sure the manual function on the gear selector (in "D") is meant to be over-ridden by the paddle shifters?

I'd recommend a smaller SD card than the 32mb capacity you'll probably be recommended. Even an 8mb SD card will hold thousands of songs, but will be much much cheaper.