Retro-fitting HID Xenon conversion kit

anty

Reaction score
Has anyone done this themselves ? Is it hard ? Whats involved ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyone interested in a group buy ?

i have been having words with www.hids4u.co.uk and he is up for offering group buy discounts, without needing to wait for a set amount of people.

Just so long as there is interest he can give the forum a discount. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The guy sells various different kits from Techone to Hella and also bulb replacement.

Techone ones will be £180
X5 ones will be £200
let me ask him about hella ones (hella doesn;t make "kits" but he can make up a hella kit using hella ballasts etc)

Free pnp

A few FAQ

Legal ? Yes
The MOT shouldn't be an issue with these bulbs providing they have been fitted correctly into their holders, the beam unit and reflector form the shape of the beam, not the bulb.

The is nothing about HID in the current MOT testing manaul, so therefore No reason for rejection.

As long as the beam pattern and aim is in spec and both lamps have equal intensity it's a good un.

factory fitted HID's which feature self leveling and wash are currently governed by construction and use regs, not MOT.

Will the conversion kit damage the plastic light cover (melting etcetc)?

No there are less heat than halogen lamps (35 vs 55) and bulbs have UV filter which is main issue

Diff between kits?

The X5 kit has waterproof ballasts and has a feel of a little bit better quality kit.

From a performance point of view there is nothing in it. If the ballasts will be located in engine bay then Techone is fine. If behind bumper or inner wing then i suggest X5

[ QUOTE ]
Techone ones will be £180
X5 ones will be £200
let me ask him about hella ones (hella doesn;t make "kits" but he can make up a hella kit using hella ballasts etc)

Free pnp

A few FAQ

Legal ? Yes
The MOT shouldn't be an issue with these bulbs providing they have been fitted correctly into their holders, the beam unit and reflector form the shape of the beam, not the bulb.

The is nothing about HID in the current MOT testing manaul, so therefore No reason for rejection.

As long as the beam pattern and aim is in spec and both lamps have equal intensity it's a good un.

factory fitted HID's which feature self leveling and wash are currently governed by construction and use regs, not MOT.

Will the conversion kit damage the plastic light cover (melting etcetc)?

No there are less heat than halogen lamps (35 vs 55) and bulbs have UV filter which is main issue

Diff between kits?

The X5 kit has waterproof ballasts and has a feel of a little bit better quality kit.

From a performance point of view there is nothing in it. If the ballasts will be located in engine bay then Techone is fine. If behind bumper or inner wing then i suggest X5

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I was aware all UK cars that have a HID lighting system must all so have headlight washers?

that is true for new cars that have them fitted, but if you was going to install after purchase then there is no rule in the MOT test book to suggest you need washers.

there was debate on this in the civic type-r forum but a few members that have it done on there have now successfully passed their MOT,

Well i would assume Hella to be his best kit but according to him the X5 is better ... the blurb from his email ...

"...The X5 is a good alternative as good if not better than hella (better as it has built in EMI filters that you lose with hella once you take the D2 connectors off..."

i'm in the shadow on that forum, but the HID conversion is on the GB section done by Mr Bilko. Its the same group buy (according to the pix found on forum and Hids website) but i think Bilko charges £200 for the Techone kits whereas if we just go to HIDS4u directly, its £180. Retail price of X5 is £240, Ian the guy at HIDS4U will do it for £200.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

email ianboothib@yahoo.com and say u saw this on the Audi-Sport forum and he will do the deal for u, he is very helpful and won't lie to get a sale. Thats the feeling i got when talking to him, he really took his time in explaining each bulb, brightness for each kit.

Top guy !

[ QUOTE ]
:D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

email ianboothib@yahoo.com and say u saw this on the Audi-Sport forum and he will do the deal for u, he is very helpful and won't lie to get a sale. Thats the feeling i got when talking to him, he really took his time in explaining each bulb, brightness for each kit.

Top guy !

[/ QUOTE ]

e.mailed Ian and for a group buy he needs a code word? Any idea? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Great thanks, Ian has offered me a good deal, I need to sort it out with him, when I get chance to get into my home e.mail.

Hope you had a good holiday? Go anywhere nice?