Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Bump n' Grind [not the good kind]

When I am driving I hear a metallic scraping noise from the back of the car, at first it was as if a steel girder (!!) was under my car, I pull over and check and nothing is there and the exhaust is fine not loose.

Today I drive off and it happened again but I carried on, it got so loud I thought either the car would fall apart or the exhaust would drop off. Then I slow down, nothing, after going over a slight bump its back and went away after that.

There is no loss of power or drivability, braking, etc. I am assuming someone has threw a few stones in the exhaust and they are deep in, but the noise doesn't act continious.

My car has done this twice now over the last month and a half.

A3 V6 DSG
    A3 3.2 S Line DSG

A3 TDI S Line DSG Gone

Update on A3/TT 3.2 V6 software update: See this post

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I had a simular problem once before, it was a stone caught between the rear disc heat shield and the disc. Does it make the same noise in reverse? also going in reverse knocked the stone out ;-)
    Give it a go, hope this helps.

events moderator

Status
    as said above if its not a stone then it could even be the heat shield its self could have bent a bit and is catching the disk that makes a nasty noise to fix that literly push the heat shield away a bit from the disk its easy you don't have to push it a lot just a little bit , you can even do that with the wheel still on if you have got big gaps in your wheels to get your hand in there saves taking it off lol
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

5th Gear

Status
    Had this sound to dude! randomly my cars a 1.8tfsi was going into car park all of a sudden hear this terrible noise as though the exhaust has fallen off and its scraping the floor. Look around the car nothing drive off and it happens again...Go over a bump it stop i was like huh...Never happened again.

I to think it was maybe a stone or something caught in between brakes or a rotating part which caused it.
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Eye View Post
    I had a simular problem once before, it was a stone caught between the rear disc heat shield and the disc. Does it make the same noise in reverse? also going in reverse knocked the stone out ;-)
    Give it a go, hope this helps.
    ^^ This. I had the exact same problem.. I was driving and bam scraping noise so I pulled over and everything was fine. Drove a bit and still there.. got worse. Pulled out and took wheel off and found a big stone stuck in rear disc heat shield

TM
    S-line SB

Status
    I've had the same thing previously also, like others have mentioned its most likely a stone stuck between the heat shield! Horrible sound!
    A3 Sportback 140 TDI S-line
    Mods: Number plate LEDs, Rear Rings delete, Rear S-line Badge, Internal Audi and Rings stickers, Silvatec chrome indicators, Interior LEDs, Chrome Fog Rings.
    Future mods: Remap, MY09 Rear LEDs.

SOLD & SADLY MISSED