Ordered Some Non-LED Super White Bulbs For A3/S3 2010+ Number Plate Lights

Paullie

Banana Menace!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi folks, this morning I ordered a pair of non-LED super white 37mm festoon bulbs from the US that will give the same pure white light effect of LED bulbs, but without the Bulb Out Error on the DIS. They weren't cheap, costing just under £30 including postage (the bulbs were only $12.99, but the postage was expensive at $32.50), but IMO it's well worth it to get rid of the dull yellow number plate bulbs and at the same time not to have to worry about resistors etc getting hot or the bulbs melting the light housings. Lots of VAG owners in the US have these in their cars, unfortunately I couldn't find any UK stockists of these. I'll post pics of my results when they arrive. Hopefully these are the perfect plug and play solution to the A3/S3 2010+ owners (and owners of any 8P 2003-2011 A3) who don't want to go to the lengths of installing chassis mount resistors in their boot lids to go with their LED bulbs. Paula :wub: xx

They are Polarg M28 bulbs

plg033.jpg

images

Polarg B1 Hybrid Superwhite T10x37 Bulbs - Mini-Bulbs - AutomotiveLightingUSA.com

They can also be bought on Ebay for a few pennies less, but the seller is away until 02/11/11.

M28 Polarg White Bulb Dome light 6411 6413 6451 6418 | eBay

This is a preview of what they'll look like.

DSC001361.jpg

2610230226_1d24880a05.jpg

Last edited:
Fingers crossed! I will definitely get some if they work and are white as opposed to blue.

Again cracking find Paula! (forgot to say)

Fingers crossed! I will definitely get some if they work and are white as opposed to blue.

Yeah Lance, fingers crossed! They certainly look super white in the pics of cars with them fitted. :wub: x

I'm gonna order some today and il post some pics up once there in

So you gave up on indicator bulbs and went for these instead?! :yum:

I've found a similar bulb also in the US that claims to be "the best", but interested to see how these turn out. On my list of things to do, just not at the very top just now!

So you gave up on indicator bulbs and went for these instead?! :yum:

I've found a similar bulb also in the US that claims to be "the best", but interested to see how these turn out. On my list of things to do, just not at the very top just now!

Hehe, yes Dan, gave up on the silver indicator bulbs until the correct replacements show up from BMW, lol! I know the Hoen C5W bulbs are very popular in the US too, ..would be interested to see a set of them fitted. Here's a link to them if anyone wants to give them a try instead of the Polarg bulbs. :wub: x

Hoen high performance halogen

Super keen to see how this turns out :)

Yeah it's the Hoen bulbs I found, know they are a bit more expensive for the bulbs, but don't know the postage costs yet.

Can you not just use silvatec bulbs for indicators i think there called?

Can you not just use silvatec bulbs for indicators i think there called?

The bulb fitment for the facelift A3/S3 chrome indicator is PSY24W SV and they are VERY hard to find anywhere, though BMW uses the same in some of their newer cars. I ordered some direct from BMW, but although the boxes had on them PSY24W SV, the bulbs themselves had PY24W SV on them and they don't fit. Luckily BMW sent a courier to collect them yesterday, so I should have the replacements in the next week or so. Silvatecs look great though Buddy, exactly the same idea. I had them in 3 of my previous cars, but they were all PY21W fitment with offset pins. :wub: x

Yeah it's the Hoen bulbs I found, know they are a bit more expensive for the bulbs, but don't know the postage costs yet.

The reason I didn't go for the Hoen bulbs in the end is because they are only Kelvin rated at 4000K, which as I understand it is still quite yellow. I used to have PIAA Extreme White headlight bulbs that were rated to 4100K and although they were a bit whiter than OE bulbs, they were no where nearly as white as Xenons. :wub: x

Sweet stuff I went with the Höen bulbs for my licensplate perfekt white around 4000k looks the same as this.
Also bought Höen H11 55w for the foglights also perfekt !

/M

Sweet stuff I went with the Höen bulbs for my licensplate perfekt white around 4000k looks the same as this.
Also bought Höen H11 55w for the foglights also perfekt !

/M

Cool! Thanks for that. :wub: x

good find paulie my led's let go last week so I'm back to normal bulbs till i buy some more next week got to sell some shizle first to buy them lol

Thanks Paullie, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I can see the led type being a total pain for MY10, with the increased resistance and heat produced.

Cheaper shipping here if it helps:
Polarg B1 Hybrid Superwhite T10x37 Bulbs

Thanks Paullie, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I can see the led type being a total pain for MY10, with the increased resistance and heat produced.

Cheaper shipping here if it helps:
Polarg B1 Hybrid Superwhite T10x37 Bulbs

Hi Eddy, that's great. many thanks for finding that website, saves a fiver in shipping! I have already ordered mine, but it will no doubt help peeps who haven't ordered yet. Cheers, matey! :wub: x

Dont forget that those bulbs are 10w Höen and others are 5w .... at least I wont 5w so it dont get to strong and take over :)

/M

Dont forget that those bulbs are 10w Höen and others are 5w .... at least I wont 5w so it dont get to strong and take over :)

/M

I noticed that when I looked in to buying them and according to people using them on other forums, very few have reported any problems associated with using the Polarg 10W bulbs over the OEM 5W bulbs. I personally would rather go for the brighter, whiter Polarg bulbs, than buy the Hoens, which are only rated at 4000K. I still feel that these will be safer than using LED's/resistors, which get very hot and are known to melt the bulb housings. :wub: x

So just to confirm - these can be used for both interior lights and number plate lights?

Cheers for that, will use that and get me sum ASAP. Makes wifes personal plate stand out I hope.

Maybe after seeing wat they look like on wife's a3, I may look at changing mine on my a1.

Keep us update Paula, excited to see how these turn out.

I just have a feeling they will be great which means I'll need to replace every mini bulb in the car, lol :)

Hi Paullie, your posts are solo helpful at present.

I ordered some of these bulbs direct from BMW dealers yesterday to get rid of egg yoke front lights, can't believe they wont fit.

Is it the connection that's different (pin or cowel) or the bulb itself the wrong shape?

Thanks in advance; you are a star!

Paulla do you have any link of LED's complete package (doors,footwell,number plate,....) for my S3 2008? Must be error free.
I will do this small project couse it makes a big difference ;)

Tnx

Hi Paullie, your posts are solo helpful at present.

I ordered some of these bulbs direct from BMW dealers yesterday to get rid of egg yoke front lights, can't believe they wont fit.

Is it the connection that's different (pin or cowel) or the bulb itself the wrong shape?

Thanks in advance; you are a star!

Hi Warren, no probs, always happy to help if I can :). The PSY24W SV (the ones we need) and the PY24W SV (the ones BMW sent me thinking they were PSY24W SV) look the same bulb-wise, but the insides of the bases are different.The PSY24W SV has 2 pins inside the base and a square plug fitting -

PSY24WSV-1.jpg

The PY24W SV has no pins in the base -

63217161306Bulb2.jpg

I was hoping that BMW would be able to send me a pair of the correct bulbs, but they ended up refunding me yesterday, so it looks like they can't actually help :(. I believe VW now have a silver version of the bulb we need (I believe he Golf MK6 uses them too), so just need to obtain a part number and go from there. :wub: xx

Paulla do you have any link of LED's complete package (doors,footwell,number plate,....) for my S3 2008? Must be error free.
I will do this small project couse it makes a big difference ;)

Tnx

Hey Jernej, my frst recommendation would be for you to send a PM to T8UPS on here as he can get ALL of the bulbs you need (completely error free for pre-facelift cars) at a good price. If you'd rather be able to order them direct via the internet, then here is a link to all your interior bulbs, including front and rear dome, footwell, door, mirrors, glove box and boot. These are Canbus compatible bulbs, so won't cause any OBC errors on pre-facelift cars.

INTERIOR LED Car Light Bulbs FULL SET AUDI A3 8P | eBay

The only bulbs not included in the kit are number plate bulbs and these are the ones I would go for. I bought them for my car and they looked amazing, but because my car is the facelift model, they threw up the bulb out warning :(. This won't happen on your car though and I know you'll love them. :wub: xx

AUDI A3/S3 (04-10) License Number Plate Light LED Lamp Replace OEM Bulb & Holder | eBay

Last edited:
N 10733102
Remark- PSY24W12V SV

From the mark vi golf according to etka

Last edited:
N 10733102
Remark- PSY24W12V SV

From the mark iv golf according to etka

YOU ARE A STAR, Eddy!!! Many thanks for taking the time to check that out!! Will be buying some for sure. :wub: xx

Eddy, you're a legend mate, and Paullie thanks for saving me a trip to BMW Hungerford and £36 this afternoon. Win win!

I've been doing a bit of digging this avo on the subject of these PSY24W SV bulbs and I found the following pics on a German Audi forum (they confirm that the part number given by Eddy above is a direct replacement for our facelift front indicator bulbs) but from the look of the pic taken after fitting, the orange tinge although slightly less noticable, can still be seen all too clearly for me :(. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to pay upwards of £36 for a pair of these, just to make the orange a bit less obvious. I want it gone completely, lol! Even with the silver bulbs fitted, it's still tango'd!!! :( :wub: x

blinker1-44750.jpg

Crazy prices for those bulbs and they don't even do what they're supposed to! Will be well down my list but might give them a try at some stage.
Anyway it was no bother Paullie, just trying to return the favour for all your research.

Looking forward to pics of your number plate bulbs in action, I'm a bit worried about them being too bright.

I ripped my hands to shreds yesterday getting one out to have a look at it. Never have I seen such an over engineered solution to a problem that doesn't exist in the first place. It makes a £3 bulb cost £18, and the only thing I can think of it is makes the wiring loom easier to install at factory as there are less major sized connectors on it. £36 for two indicator bulbs from BMW is a joke.

I want to do his mod, but there's an element of principle that leaves me thinking if I buy I accept and will perpetuate VAGs decision to think charging these kind of figures is ok. I'm sure I could do something more useful with £36. The ****** fogs which are big H11's are only £24 a pair [/rant mode off]!

Said it before and i will say it again........The idea of making your number plate even more visible goes against my principles :) Next thing you will be illuminating your tax disc's.

Reactions: RedDejavu and MTRL