Chris NottSky Insurance
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ordered Some Non-LED Super White Bulbs For A3/S3 2010+ Number Plate Lights

Status
    W8 Performance are sending me an offcut of tinted Lamin-X to put over the rear number plate LED's to tone them down a bit. I'll put some pics up when it's on to show if it's improved things.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2. # ADS
    ADS

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    W8 Performance are sending me an offcut of tinted Lamin-X to put over the rear number plate LED's to tone them down a bit. I'll put some pics up when it's on to show if it's improved things.
    That's a really good idea, Warren. I'm sure I have a bit of light smoke tint in the garage, so if it works for you I may pop my LED's back in and do the same . I really love LED's, but I have to say I do find these 18 SMD units we have, a tad too bright. xx
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Status
    I'm with you on that, they're just too bright, and I wonder whether they got round the error code issue by bulking out on bulbs and increasing voltage / current etc.

I think I get away with it slightly easier on a black car as it's harder to light up black paint! That said I hear my cars rear plate can be seen at night from the international space station!
    Paullie likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Banana Menace!

Status
    I'm with you on that, they're just too bright, and I wonder whether they got round the error code issue by bulking out on bulbs and increasing voltage / current etc.

I think I get away with it slightly easier on a black car as it's harder to light up black paint! That said I hear my cars rear plate can be seen at night from the international space station!
    Hehe, yeah the only things visible from space are the Great Wall Of China and our LED number plate lights . I think you're 100% correct about how they managed to get round the Canbus issue by increasing the number of bulbs (and therefore the power draw being detected by the Canbus system) as we had the same problem with LED sidelights and fogs on the VXR's. The only fogs that worked were 68 SMD ones and 'tower' LED's for the sidelights with at least 10 SMD chips on. xx

5th Gear

Status
    i had some LED's with the smaller LED 3528's on them, basicly the smaller ones like on your units, with 3 differant resistant levels, getting it right is the hard part, anyway for some reason the factory sent me 1 of each, this dont help as in the 2009+ you have to change both bulbs to get the error, if you leave 1 halogen in and put 1 led in you wont get an error so i have asked the factory to send me a pair of each out so i am trying to solve it.

sometimes if the resistance is too high it will put an error up also.

Also Paulie, when i sell to astra owners i use a 1 led non canbus bulb for the sidelight, works without issues. the plate lamps have to be canbus on them.

not tried fogs, but i have 1 in at the weekend so will have a go.

Thanks
    Trups
    SLOW REPLIES BETWEEN 22nd - 30th June due to been out the office, please bare with me. Thanks

Bi Xenon Projector kits starting at £79.99 per pair.

EM Tuning Lighting.

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ups View Post
    Also Paulie, when i sell to astra owners i use a 1 led non canbus bulb for the sidelight, works without issues. the plate lamps have to be canbus on them.

Thanks
    Trups
    That's weird Trups, is this Astra H's (MK5)? Your single LED bulbs must be more advanced than the earlier ones myself and other lots of VXRO members tried (in 2008-2009). I tried 3 different non-Canbus LED sidelight bulbs and was so disappointed that none of them would work, ..they would light up and immediately go out. The other guys could only get the single LED bulbs to work if they had in line resistors fitted, but then one of the lads discovered the 'tower' type LED's with lots of SMD chips on and these worked fine for everyone who wanted them. I bought PIAA Hyper Tera Euro LED's for my car in the end. They only had 1 LED, but they had a round metal disc resistor pack wired into them. They were extortionately priced too.

I really hope you can sot out some not quite so bright LED's for our plate lights. Goodness knows how many orders you'd get for them! xx

1st Gear

Status
    Those of you who ordered the 'uprated' festoon bright white bulbs from EM Tuning should check your housings. The ones I received were rated 10W which at the time I did not realise were far higher than the 5W OEM rating (Homer moment but I was trusting the supplier). Anyway after one bulb blew within a couple of months I went to change back to the OEM units and found this ...

This is only my experience with these bulbs on a 2011 A3 so I cannot comment on the product as a whole. EM Tuning did offer to replace the housings. Anyway just a warning for those who deviate from the OEM products - you take your chances.
    Last edited by downtothebone; 20th September 2012 at 15:57.
    RYes3 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    1) Yes they work
    2) No error codes
    3) Fitted by an idiot
    4) Subtle they are not

Not sure there would be an any way to dim these down so maybe consider Polarg bulbs unless you want your number plate readable from the moon. One step forwards....
    These look superb Warren

Is it a fair assumption that given that these work on your 2011 canbus, that they'll be error free on the 2010 A3 8PA canbus too? (I've got a March 2010 170TDI Black Edition).
    I should have seen this earlier and saved myself £25 on the OEM Audi ones I bought - oops.

The seller doesn't seem to have any available at the moment either. Are they regularly re-stocked do you know? Hope I haven't missed the boat!

Thanks.

4th Gear

Status

Ordered Some Non-LED Super White Bulbs For A3/S3 2010+ Number Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    Those of you who ordered the 'uprated' festoon bright white bulbs from EM Tuning should check your housings. The ones I received were rated 10W which at the time I did not realise were far higher than the 5W OEM rating (Homer moment but I was trusting the supplier). Anyway after one bulb blew within a couple of months I went to change back to the OEM units and found this ...

This is only my experience with these bulbs on a 2011 A3 so I cannot comment on the product as a whole. EM Tuning did offer to replace the housings. Anyway just a warning for those who deviate from the OEM products - you take your chances.
    I think i may too have had this issue as my EM Tuning bulbs keep blowing! I will out and check shortly!
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

2nd Gear

Status
    Ive just managed to strip one of the screws on the number plate lights. Any advice on how to now remove it? Not happy

Fossie

Status
    No need to post twice - see answer in other post - drill the beast out !!

2nd Gear

Status
    Guys i've done exactly the same thing, i had these similar bulbs and i was told to get a screw which didn't strip on here off ebay when putting them in - It has I'm currently running on one standard one and another which has been bashed out and the screw left in there
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Anyone want to do a group buy for these?
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456