Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ordered Some Non-LED Super White Bulbs For A3/S3 2010+ Number Plate Lights

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
    For those of you who have these, how long did they take to arrive?

Checked the tracking number they left and mine seem to be stuck in Chatsworth, CA for a while now!?
    Mine arrived within a week, Fella.
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Still waiting for my number plate bulbs to come - and my screws!

Today came my Xenon Ring H11 fog light bulbs, and after havng much difficulty on removing the grills I have them installed. They have a very small blue tip - Which isn't noticable when installed!

What do you think? (Sorry about the rubbish quality pic) - I was aiming for a similar xenon colour to match - NOTHING CHAVVY!!!

Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

1st Gear

Status
    Came today - wow these bulbs are awesome - what a difference..

Paullie and sliced like this.
    A1 | 1.4 TFSI | S-Line | Misano Red

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
    Came today - wow these bulbs are awesome - what a difference..

Very cool, Baffles! Glad you're happy with the results. xx

Status

Will soon see if these will work with 2011 car, first of all I just need to go and knacker the screws getting them out.

If they work I'll post a photo tonight, if not they'll be on sale for a pre '09 car!
    Last edited by warren_S3; 30th November 2011 at 14:47.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    What I found last night is to definitely find a screwdriver that fits in the head, not one which is slightly bigger.

Still a nightmare though - good luck!

Status
    Most screwdrivers didn't seem to want to work with this. As a bulb is a changeable part you'd expect the provided toolkit one to work, but it doesn't. They'd love you to pay dealer prices for it to be replaced!

In the end I dug this out my toolbox and it fitted:

PH0 x 60mm - you had to have the driver dead square to the screw for it to work and apply decent pressure but no causalities this time round.

The new LED bulb units come with a much fatter foam seal like the older cased models. However a bit of elbow grease and the first one was in.

Checked for dashboard warning lights or errors...... None!

Here's a couple of pictures of the differences between the OEM and aftermarket LED unit:

Will be keeping the OEM units and PH0 driver in the boot until I'm 100% convinced all is well, but so far everything looks good, will get some night shots in due course to give a better perspective on how much these babies light up the back of the car (being black it probably won't be so bad).

Delivery from Germany has been 5 days, and just to conform my car is a MY12, November 2011 delivered car and they are working without error codes. Now to give them some time!
    sliced likes this.

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Neutral

Status
    Got a link for them?

Status

Neutral

Status
    Cool, cheers

VAG Junkie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post

The new LED bulb units come with a much fatter foam seal like the older cased models. However a bit of elbow grease and the first one was in.

If you get bored of them buddy, let me know, I'll take them!!
    Current - Ibis White S3 with added LOBA,Sachs,AutoTech,Custom Map,Recaro,ITG,Eibach,3SDM,Milltek flavourings.
    Ex Ibiza Cupra R, Mk1 Leon Cupra R, Mk V Golf GTi, Mk2 Leon Cupra K1 and B7 Audi RS4 Owner!

Status

As I'm heading out thought I'd show this. Apologies that by blanking out plate some of the effect of the real pic has been lost.

1) Yes they work
    2) No error codes
    3) Fitted by an idiot
    4) Subtle they are not

Not sure there would be an any way to dim these down so maybe consider Polarg bulbs unless you want your number plate readable from the moon. One step forwards....
    Last edited by warren_S3; 1st December 2011 at 06:35.
    Paullie and sliced like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Polarg bulbs turned up today from US. Time to get em fitted!!!
    2011 S3 Sportback Black Edition - Exclusive Suzuka Grey

Opensky | Buckets | Comfort Pack | Extended Leather Pack | Interior Light Pack | Tyre Pressure Monitor | Front and Rear Parking Sensors | Rear and Side Sun Blinds

Mods - RS3 Diffuser | H&R 10/12mm Spacers | Philips CV fogs | Full Interior LED Bulbs | Polarg Number plate Bulbs | Gloss Black Front Splitter

Mods to come - RS3 grille | Supersprint Dual Exhaust

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the write up Warren.
    The excessively bright LED's is something that I was trying to avoid so it's nice to know (for me) that the Polarg still seem to be the way to go.
    Thanks for being the guinea pig.
    Are you going to keep them?
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

Status
    I was wondering whether I should try a light coating of tinting spray to try and tint them down a bit as the are very bright at night

VAG Junkie

Status
    I was wondering whether I should try a light coating of tinting spray to try and tint them down a bit as the are very bright at night
    Go with some light smoke laminx so you can pull it off again it's no good. Maybe pop down to Storm window tinting on Lower Way, he'll have an offcut you could try.
    Current - Ibis White S3 with added LOBA,Sachs,AutoTech,Custom Map,Recaro,ITG,Eibach,3SDM,Milltek flavourings.
    Ex Ibiza Cupra R, Mk1 Leon Cupra R, Mk V Golf GTi, Mk2 Leon Cupra K1 and B7 Audi RS4 Owner!

Neutral

Status
    The LEDs do look good, I am sure that other Audi's such as the A1 and A6 come with Leds fitted in the number plate as the light is white and quite bright.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aky20 View Post
    The LEDs do look good, I am sure that other Audi's such as the A1 and A6 come with Leds fitted in the number plate as the light is white and quite bright.
    Don't get me wrong, the colour is good and LED is the future, I just think it could have done with about half the lights in the unit. I'm not sure if there is a reason they put so many in (to balance out voltage / amps or resistance maybe???).

If any local lighthouses fail I'm sure I'll get a call.

Banana Menace!

Status
    Warren, those look great! Many thanks for being the guinea pig for us. I was guinea pig the last time a German Ebay seller thought they had found the solution to 2010+ A3/S3 LED number plate lights, but they were obviously mistaken, lol. They are very bright, ..but I really love LED's and may go for a set myself now. I love the look of the Polarg's (nice and white, not too bright), but as you say LED is the future! Nice one, Fella!! xx

2nd Gear

Status
    My number plate bulbs arrived the other day - Managed to change one of them from the (VERY BRIGHT) LED's I had put in previously - Which i didn't like and braught up an error message, to an alternative blue bulb (not the polarg ones as they were out of stock).

I also changed the rounded screws (Thanks Paulie the screw you recommended worked fantastic!) but the other side is very rounded though so is being a pain to remove - So I will try and remove that tomorrow and post some pictures.

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyW19 View Post
    My number plate bulbs arrived the other day - Managed to change one of them from the (VERY BRIGHT) LED's I had put in previously - Which i didn't like and braught up an error message, to an alternative blue bulb (not the polarg ones as they were out of stock).

I also changed the rounded screws (Thanks Paulie the screw you recommended worked fantastic!) but the other side is very rounded though so is being a pain to remove - So I will try and remove that tomorrow and post some pictures.
    Any pics yet???
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry slade - Only just read your post! Well, the screw is still stuck in on one side, so I need to sort that this weekend.

I've posted a picture below which shows the LED's I purchased off eBay and the blue bulb. You can tell the difference as the LED (On the left) is acting like a flood light and is lighting up the whole bumper etc!

What do you think of the blue bulb? Sorry the pics arn't fantastic, as I had to blank my reg aswell

2nd Gear

Status
    My Polarg's arrived and another happy customer here.
    Great white light without the flood light brightness of the LED.

Thanks for the heads up on this!
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

4th Gear

Status

As I'm heading out thought I'd show this. Apologies that by blanking out plate some of the effect of the real pic has been lost.

1) Yes they work
    2) No error codes
    3) Fitted by an idiot
    4) Subtle they are not

Not sure there would be an any way to dim these down so maybe consider Polarg bulbs unless you want your number plate readable from the moon. One step forwards....
    Did you decide what to do with them Warren? I've just got some and boy are the bright. Was thinking of blanking off half the unit so it's not too bright. Lovely colour though just floodlights!
    Current:

Status
    In the week I'm going to see if I can get some light window tint film from a local tinting firm. If that doesn't work then maybe a couple of passes of Foliatec rear light tinting spray.

5th Gear

Status
    Drop me a pm and I will be happy to post out some smoked lamin x film to try for free. I have festoon LEDs on the octavia and they worked fine. No canbus worries for me in my lowly 06 plate

1st Gear

Status
    Has anyone contacted the website to see when the Polarg bulbs will be back in stock? Surely it's in the owners best interests to sell them again if this thread alone sold them out in the first place.

Would just save the need for tints etc..

5th Gear

Status
    i have spoke to a supplier who can get me these bulbs halogens untill i can figure out a led festoon solution.

so i will keep you updated in the week as to if he can get them in for me.

thanks
    Trups

2nd Gear

Status
    Peeps,

After following this thread and reading all different comments. I am thinking about changing my fog lights & am keen to hear the differences between philips crystal vision & diamond vision. A few people seem to have bought the crystal vision but I haven't seen any feedback on the diamond vision. For me it's more about the colour match with the xenon & drls.

Any comments or views welcome.

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by L1ARR View Post
    Peeps,

After following this thread and reading all different comments. I am thinking about changing my fog lights & am keen to hear the differences between philips crystal vision & diamond vision. A few people seem to have bought the crystal vision but I haven't seen any feedback on the diamond vision. For me it's more about the colour match with the xenon & drls.

Any comments or views welcome.
    I have diamond vision fitted to my BE and they look awesome... They match the DRLs very well. (Will Post up a pic later)

I have activated the fogs as DRL along with the normal ones and they look pretty good (Did reduce the power output though as not to annoy other drivers)

I know people were paying quite a bit for them but I bought these from a guy in Australia but he shipped them from London

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser89 View Post
    I have diamond vision fitted to my BE and they look awesome... They match the DRLs very well. (Will Post up a pic later)

I have activated the fogs as DRL along with the normal ones and they look pretty good (Did reduce the power output though as not to annoy other drivers)

I know people were paying quite a bit for them but I bought these from a guy in Australia but he shipped them from London

Thanks Cruiser,

I look forward to seeing the pics.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser89 View Post

Also looking forward to pics . Out of curiosity what did you reduce them to? I take it the normal DRLs still stay full brightness??
    Current:

5th Gear

Status
    hi All,

i have put the order in for 50 pairs of these, i have been told they will take a week to make and get here, as soon as they are in i will test them in an Audi and make sure they are the ones what you are buying and then i can get a paypal link put up for the remaining members who didnt manage to order from the other seller before.

Thanks
    Trups

VAG Junkie

Status
    I'll take a set for sure when you get them buddy.

James

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ups View Post
    hi All,

i have put the order in for 50 pairs of these, i have been told they will take a week to make and get here, as soon as they are in i will test them in an Audi and make sure they are the ones what you are buying and then i can get a paypal link put up for the remaining members who didnt manage to order from the other seller before.

Thanks
    Trups
    A gentleman and a scholar!

Quote Originally Posted by NobberUK View Post
    I'll take a set for sure when you get them buddy.
    I second that.

1st Gear

Status
    Got the same as warren.. too bright?

2010 SB TDI - Accuair E-level - Air Lift Slam front and rear - Bentley CGT 9 spokes - Votex hatch spoiler - S3 front and rear - RNS-E mk2

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by grimp View Post
    Got the same as warren.. too bright?

I don't think they look too bad at all.

Actually the longer I've had them in the more I've warmed to them as you get to see some of the shimmer of the crystal paint at night and the car looks great when it's all lit up at night!

If you want subtle I'd go Polarg, but if you want full fat then I think ours aren't too bad, but with black or white cars I think you can get away with it, a colour like red may be less successful with our LED's.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Warren,

Did you end up tinting the lenses on yours in the end? If I recall I think you were contemplating this?

I have to say, it does look good but a tad on the bright side

KKP
    You can take the boy out of Essex but not Essex out of the boy...

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kkp0897 View Post
    Hi Warren,

Did you end up tinting the lenses on yours in the end? If I recall I think you were contemplating this?

I have to say, it does look good but a tad on the bright side

KKP
    I've also got the same will be tinting half the unit today with some lamin x I'll get photos up later
    Current:

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    Ok... I bought the same LEDs. I thought they were a bit bright but like Warren have really come to like them:

(sorry about crap pics)

---

---

Tim - Project & Marketing Manager of Advanced In-Car Technologies LTD. An Audi Approved OEM / Retrofit Specialist Company. All views expressed are my own and bear no reflection on Advanced In Car Tech.

Audi Bluetooth -AMI/iPod - RNSE Navigation Units - Cruise Control - Optical Parking Systems - DAB (Digital Radio)- Audi Factory Retrofits- Stolen Vehicle Tracking - In-Car Cameras- Genuine VCDS Cables

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast