Coolant level dropped then stopped

Lincoln S3

Reaction score
When I checked my coolant level last week I noticed it was one or two mm below its usual level . Just checked again and it has fallen no further over the last week . Anyone have any idea why this would happen for the first time in 9000 miles since its last service . Could it be the colder weather ?

Lincoln, you have probably been using the heater a lot recently as we get into the winter weather. This would mean that coolant is now often circulating through the heater matrix. A slight leak in the heater matrix or connecting pipes would perhaps explain it. Suggest you run around with the heater off for a week, and then check the level. Repeat with the heater on full and see if there is a difference. Do make sure that the car is sitting on level ground when checking the coolant level. I have noticed that even a slight slope gives a mm of difference. Good luck.

Think you need to stop worrying mate, mm's arent the time to worry, its when it becomes cm's/inches you need to get the air raid sirens out, just keep an eye on it weekly, if it continues to drop at a rate then check it out.