mod that went wrong on my sportback! Grr

drnutta

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just have to have a moan at the moment... I replaced my 170 sline rear duffuser with the S3 sportback part but decided to do something different... I put the rs3 middle part on...

Since the car is Phantom black i decided to go for the all black rear look...

When the body shop called I said does the exhaust line up/ how does it look? They said it looked good.

So off I went to collect and yes it looked great but I realised that my exhaust pipes looked far too small for the exhaust gap.

Not sure weather to go back to standard, change my rear pipes, or get the pipes adjusted.

I did not want this project too cost too much but the install has already cost me £300 and I'm not happy!

Grrr!

Last edited:
just get them extended mate at a custom exhaust centre , i had to get something similar when i fitted the voted rear diffuser to my car

Yeah I'm not sure at the moment... This is the most radical mod I have done to my car... I like the rear but the exhaust pipes look far too small and are not on center!

Current mods to the car are:

KW coils v3
Alcon Brakes
VMR wheels

the rear makes a difference but i sorta regret it :(

Go to halfords and buy some new exhaust tips. Bolt on over your existing ones.

Halfords and Audi dont mix i dont think mate!

They dont come stamped halfords & the smoke doesnt make a halfords name trail, so whats the issue :p

Reactions: deeman88 and andywaddy
Ho Hum... guess wasted effort... the issue is that the the tips are not center... so even with "halford" tips the issue is still there...

I'm not trying to insult anyone here...

Will go back to standard.

i'll let you into a little secret I've got a halfords exhaust tip on mine because its all i could afford at the time and i don't care either lol

will take some pictures tommorow... you can see what i mean.

are the tips chrome? or the standard ones?, i did this also but i had extended the exhaust as it didnt come out enough, looked right odd, now its ok.

Go to a local exhaust place like Powerflow, they will be able to cut off the rear pipe and weld in a slight extension or take a bit out depending on which way it needs moving so it moves to the side a bit and put bigger tailpipes on. It shouldn't cost much, £50-60 at a guess and will finish the job nicely. Pointless going back to standard now when you have forked out £300 already, they might even be able to move it to the side by bending the hangers a little.

tips are the standard chrome twin pipes for a 170. will take picture in the day light.

"So off I went to collect and yes it looked great but I realised that my exhaust pipes looked far too small for the exhaust gap."
"Ho Hum... guess wasted effort... the issue is that the the tips are not center... so even with "halford" tips the issue is still there..."

Sorry i thought you wanted the tips to look bigger...

pictures; I want to see the weener tips in RS3 diffuser!

no pictures, it doesn't exist ;-)

Another vote for going to a custom exhaust place and getting them to sort it. I got the exhaust cut and a new twin staggered pipe put on my last car and it only cost £80 for the parts and all the work. If you've already spent £300 then it makes sense to just spend a little more and fix it rather than ripping it all off.

PS. what tips are people getting from Halfords. I need to sort out my rusty droopers but couldn't see any that would fit in halfords.

Ho Hum... guess wasted effort... the issue is that the the tips are not center... so even with "halford" tips the issue is still there...

I'm not trying to insult anyone here...

Will go back to standard.

Nobody has taken it as an insult either fella.

Dont give up after the effort already, could easily be fixed for a small amount of money.

Sorry i thought you wanted the tits to look bigger...

Dont all blokes

Right Guys,

Taken a year or so ago sorta miss its curvy *** now:

a3sportback.jpg

The pictures:

1side.jpg

2aclon.jpg

3rear.jpg

4rear2.jpg

5rear3.jpg

6rear4.jpg

Last edited:
THE BRAKES! :wub:

just go to custom exhaust place and get it sorted! its an easy fix! or juding by your current mods why dont you just get a nice CATBACK?

Thanks S3rye,

The brakes are GREAT! best mod for me... also saves a hell of alot of weight... was very suprised same with the alloys actually... 1 standard Sline 5 arm wheel was like the weight of 2 708s

As for the defusser... in 2 minds about it now...

Don't really want to spend too much as the theme was not too over the top /simple sutle...

Last edited:
Humm... really leaning towards going back to standard guys!

what do you all think?

What's the exact name of the alloys you've got fitted mate? I know they are quite common, but I can't seem to find the proper name for them to help search for the right ones.

I would personally go standard or go for the BE/facelift rear. The S3 rear doesn't look right without the side skirts, same goes for the RS3 rear.

I thought it was gonna look worse TBF

Get the tail pipes moved if it bothers u.

Diffuser looks good (although I think grey would have looked better).

Hehe though you were for custom exhaust? :)

Heh well went to another bodyshop today to cost how much to remove and its only 15 to put back to normal!

Problem is they said they actually like it.... 5 of their estimators...

Punch I know what you mean about the s3 side skirts but in the flesh my side skirts dont actually look bad... i actually like them.
the colour also helps.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, If you dont like it then take it off. If you do then leave it. What everyone else thinks is of no importance anyway.

It looks good mate .Scuse the sarcasm lol .As said above if you like it keep it .If not £15 to remove is good .

i think it looks :wub: mate it doesn't look that bad if you don't like it take it off but i would keep it and get the exhaust sorted out even bigger tips thats all it needs

YOU from cambs fella? Car looks smart... And v.much like one I check out every time I see it, complete wit falcons ;) lol

Hi mate,
Yes thats me from Cambridge.

Say hi next time!