Softening A3 Sportback S Line suspension

paultaylor

Reaction score
I know it might sound unusual but on my wife's 07 A3 2.0TDI 170 DSG S Line I've found the suspension too hard when going over Irish potholes.

Hence I was looking for a damper/spring change that might maintain the lowered ride yet provide a softer set up over the bumps and poor roads.

The Bilstein B12 coilover set up was suggested but as that will drop the car by a further 5-10mm I was wondering is there a different damper that I could get to work with the existing springs or would both have to changed?

As one of the rear shocks is making a noise when going over bumps/speed bump they both have to be replaced so rather than replace them with the same I thought it'd be a good time to make a change.

Any suggestions?

I'm prepared to allow the body roll to increase as the car is more of motorway cruiser rather than a three wheeling R32 style car!

thanks

Eibach Pro springs (30mm) matched with Koni FSD shocks.
You'll probably drop 5mm on s-line height but the ride and comfort will be greatly improved.

i agree eibach pro -30mm and koni FSD - a fantastic combination for the A3

cheers,

any tips on where to get this combo and advise labour hours to fit?

Eibach Pro springs (30mm) matched with Koni FSD shocks.
You'll probably drop 5mm on s-line height but the ride and comfort will be greatly improved.

I like this solution ( better than changing to 16" wheels) but how and why does it work?

Where are you based?? If anywhere near Essex/London then AMD Essex will supply, fit and laser align for a very good price.
Fitting will take a few hours (3 or 4hrs probably)

Otherwise, DPM performance are very competitive with their supply-only prices. Damian is always helpful so drop him a PM ---> View Profile: DPM - Audi-Sport.net

Look up the springs/dampers here for your model for an idea of prices:
DPM - Audi A3 8P Lowering Springs

DPM - Audi A3 8P Dampers

I know it might sound unusual but on my wife's 07 A3 2.0TDI 170 DSG S Line I've found the suspension too hard when going over Irish potholes.

Hence I was looking for a damper/spring change that might maintain the lowered ride yet provide a softer set up over the bumps and poor roads.

The Bilstein B12 coilover set up was suggested but as that will drop the car by a further 5-10mm I was wondering is there a different damper that I could get to work with the existing springs or would both have to changed?

As one of the rear shocks is making a noise when going over bumps/speed bump they both have to be replaced so rather than replace them with the same I thought it'd be a good time to make a change.

Any suggestions?

I'm prepared to allow the body roll to increase as the car is more of motorway cruiser rather than a three wheeling R32 style car!

thanks

fancey selling your shocks and springs let me no

Where are you based?? If anywhere near Essex/London then AMD Essex will supply, fit and laser align for a very good price.
Fitting will take a few hours (3 or 4hrs probably)

Otherwise, DPM performance are very competitive with their supply-only prices. Damian is always helpful so drop him a PM ---> View Profile: DPM - Audi-Sport.net

Look up the springs/dampers here for your model for an idea of prices:
DPM - Audi A3 8P Lowering Springs

DPM - Audi A3 8P Dampers

Thanks for the info, I'm in Dublin so DPM could be just the job.

Would you reckon the Eibach and Koni FSD would be softer the an the Bilstein B12 coilovers?

I'm looking for the most comfortable ride possible while maintaining the s line ride hide as much as possible.

Check out some coilovers, for example, V-maxx adjustable coilovers, iv put them on my s3, dropped it, and the ride is still great, obviously you dont have to drop it.

Check out some coilovers, for example, V-maxx adjustable coilovers, iv put them on my s3, dropped it, and the ride is still great, obviously you dont have to drop it.

Thanks for that, I had a look and they seem well priced at £414

Would anyone know how the s line 25mm drop springs compare to the Eibach springs?

Would the fact that they are 5mm lower make them harder?

Paul

Thanks for the info, I'm in Dublin so DPM could be just the job.

Would you reckon the Eibach and Koni FSD would be softer the an the Bilstein B12 coilovers?

I'm looking for the most comfortable ride possible while maintaining the s line ride hide as much as possible.

I've never been in a Bilstein coilover'd car but the general rule is that coilovers offer a firmer ride than spring/damper kits.

Thanks for that, I had a look and they seem well priced at £414

Would anyone know how the s line 25mm drop springs compare to the Eibach springs?

Would the fact that they are 5mm lower make them harder?

Paul

I've got the lower Eibach Sportline (50mm) springs which will be firmer than the Eibach Pro (30mm) springs.
At ADI recently me and Farhan (who has an s-line on standard s-line suspension) drove our cars over grass and tarmac to compare the ride quality. His s-line was definitely firmer and less forgiving over bumpy ground, whereas mine was quite good over the same terrain, and the Eibach Pro / Koni FSD combo will be even better than mine.

Eibach springs are specifically designed to be soft over smaller bumps and firmer when needed.. i.e. under hard braking, fast cornering, etc.

Google eibach pro and koni FSD and you will find loads of reviews about the set up.

I've never been in a Bilstein coilover'd car but the general rule is that coilovers offer a firmer ride than spring/damper kits.

I've got the lower Eibach Sportline (50mm) springs which will be firmer than the Eibach Pro (30mm) springs.
At ADI recently me and Farhan (who has an s-line on standard s-line suspension) drove our cars over grass and tarmac to compare the ride quality. His s-line was definitely firmer and less forgiving over bumpy ground, whereas mine was quite good over the same terrain, and the Eibach Pro / Koni FSD combo will be even better than mine.

Eibach springs are specifically designed to be soft over smaller bumps and firmer when needed.. i.e. under hard braking, fast cornering, etc.

Google eibach pro and koni FSD and you will find loads of reviews about the set up.

Thanks for the advice, leaning towards Koni FSD and Eibach Pro 30mm

and having read the thread on your conversion I'm really beginning to like the fat fives!

I have the Factory speedline 18 multispokes but I think they look too old fashioned(was looking for 18 RS6 style rims like the ones you had a first but everyone tells me I'm mad to change) so thinking if I could find some OEM fat fives they might look the business.

Tyre wise would 245/35/18 give a similar sidewall to the current 225/40/18?

cheers

theres no advantage to going to 245/35/18 over 225, and if you get et45 or lesss offset wheels then 245 tyres may catch at the rear.

the 225 width is more than enough, there are lots of choice and they are cheaper - its a win-win

if you change wheels then an et45 will fill the arches nicely at 225 width without any risks of catching, even if you have lowered

theres no advantage to going to 245/35/18 over 225, and if you get et45 or lesss offset wheels then 245 tyres may catch at the rear.

the 225 width is more than enough, there are lots of choice and they are cheaper - its a win-win

if you change wheels then an et45 will fill the arches nicely at 225 width without any risks of catching, even if you have lowered

Thanks,

Does a 225 tyre not look very stretched on the 8.5J rim? Also is there an increased risk of pressure on the bead?

Thanks,

Does a 225 tyre not look very stretched on the 8.5J rim? Also is there an increased risk of pressure on the bead?

Nah, here are mine, i'm running 225 tyres. Its only a slight stretch.

img1652111.jpg

img1666k.jpg

those wheels with the colour of your car looks savage

:laugh: Cheers man.

The surface area of the spokes are pretty large so they attract loads of dust and dirt. They look nice and shiny for about two days and then they're quickly back to not so shiny. :Flush:

a hell of lot easier to clean than the mulitposkes on my A3! not to mention the multi spokes I had on my 07 R32.

Your wheels remind me of the OEM 17s that I had on my 95 XJR, big open space that end up looking bigger than they are.

Sorry didn't make myself clear. Wanting a softer ride on my 'S' cab. have been told smaller wheels and deeper profile tyres would do the trick, so mystified how changing springs and shocks will do the same - then read subsequent posts....! It seems different springs and shocks are softer. Is that correct?

yes - but also better shock design that copes with smaller bumps much better

I have an Audi A1 136 KW S line and it' s really hard in wavy roads, should I only get Koni FSD schock absorbers? I want a comfortable and soft ride.

I have an Audi A1 136 KW S line and it' s really hard in wavy roads, should I only get Koni FSD schock absorbers? I want a comfortable and soft ride.

Try changing to the Eibach Springs, the shocks are fine, its the standard springs which are badly matched to them. The Eibachs are 'progressive' so they'll be comfortable for normal driving but will react better when pushing harder.

Fit 16 or 17 inch wheels, easy, job sorted.

Yeah, if you want your car to handle like a boat. Higher profile tyres with a heavy but 'sporty' engine engine aren't a good combination.

Which model do you recommend for eibach springs for Audi A1? The original springs will not be good?

Try changing to the Eibach Springs, the shocks are fine, its the standard springs which are badly matched to them. The Eibachs are 'progressive' so they'll be comfortable for normal driving but will react better when pushing harder.

Yeah, if you want your car to handle like a boat. Higher profile tyres with a heavy but 'sporty' engine engine aren't a good combination.

It really is a minor difference in the handling dept. but a big gain in comfort. The OP did say he's more akin to motorway cruising.

I do agree that the Eibach springs are better than the OE springs, I've had them on previous cars, they are very supple in absorbing potholes in the road, yet do a decent level support in the twisty bits. In fact I would use them with new OE dampers, this was the concept of the Eibach springs and what they were designed for and where they score best.

I got my Eibach springs last week so I might go ahead and just fit them rather than waiting for Koni FSD dampers.

Reactions: miw615
Which model of eibach springs did you install?

Are you happy with the eibach springs? Is it more comfortable now?

Just resurrecting this thread. What's the general consensus these days for softening an A3 8P S-Line suspension? Is it still as above? Would love to hear of anyone's experience where they changed it.

are knoi fsd shocks any good for handling etc or are they just designed for comfort and not really an upgrade??

I got my Eibach springs last week so I might go ahead and just fit them rather than waiting for Koni FSD dampers.

Ver interesting thread - I have the same problem concerning the hard ride and too am considering Eibach springs only , keeping the original shocks.

Have you fitted the springs, where did you get them from and how much did you pay?

Has is made the difference in ride quality that you wanted

Cheers

Malcolm

Fit 16 or 17 inch wheels, easy, job sorted.

16" makes the ride bearable and the fact that it might be less 'cool' looking is of no consequence. My understanding is that the new A3 S-Line has non-sport suspension as standard. My experience is that main dealers don't like p/ex cars that have been 'messed' with, so come the time to order new cabriolet will simply replace wheels with OE 18".

Do the A3 8P's 18" 20-Spoke alloy wheels fit with the above recommendations on springs?

I would just like a softer ride WITHOUT altering the ride height so is there an Eibach Pro spring that will give me what I want?

Reactions: T33_BKD

Any suggestions?

thanks

Hi there, I'm sure you've moved this car on but could you provide a quick update as to what you did to rectify as I'm currently having the same dilemma. Ive fitted some koni FSD's and toying with the idea of buying some OE 16inch wheels.

Keen to hear from you. Cheers!

It really is a minor difference in the handling dept. but a big gain in comfort. The OP did say he's more akin to motorway cruising.

I do agree that the Eibach springs are better than the OE springs, I've had them on previous cars, they are very supple in absorbing potholes in the road, yet do a decent level support in the twisty bits. In fact I would use them with new OE dampers, this was the concept of the Eibach springs and what they were designed for and where they score best.

Hi Soot, just resurfacing an older thread. I'm thinking about some elibach springs in conjunction with the koni fsds that are already fitted to the car. Are you suggesting elibach would be better with OE dampers over fsds?

Or should I simply swallow my pride of having 18s and opt for OE 16 inch wheels with new, soft rubber?

Fitting the Eibachs will give you a tad more comfort, whether you'll notice the difference is debatable.
The easiest way is to try some 17" or 16" wheels from another VAG car and see how they feel. Problem is you'll have to find someone who is willing to lend/swap wheels local to you, A thread on ASN is worth trying.
I'm in SE Essex if that's anywhere near you.

Hi Soot, just resurfacing an older thread. I'm thinking about some elibach springs in conjunction with the koni fsds that are already fitted to the car. Are you suggesting elibach would be better with OE dampers over fsds?

Or should I simply swallow my pride of having 18s and opt for OE 16 inch wheels with new, soft rubber?
The eibach springs will iron out the pot hole problems that the S-Lines have issues with, who wants to put smaller wheels on??? not a great look in my opinion, especially 16" thats just idiotic. Standard S-Line dampers may be a bit more softer than the koni fsd, if your car is getting in the high mileage area then it will be a better cost option to do now as you will need to do them when you hit around the 100k area depending on type of driving. Why buy an S-Line in the fist place, should have bought a high spec SE or sport.