ESP warning.

plezz

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a quick question about ESP warning i had on my A3 the other morning, and wondered if you think its worth worrying about.

mine is a 2010 with about 20000 miles on the clock, its about 2 months into the 12 month warranty so anything that comes up will be sorted free anyway.

i started the car the other morning, and the DIS came up with an ESP error, and a long beeping tone. Then it disappeared after about 2 seconds and i havent seen it since. i've tried turning ESP off and on while driving to make sure its ok, and it all seems perfectly normal.

do you think this was just a random glitch, or is it something i should be worried about?

Plezz.

Is it an Audi warranty? If it is you could ask them to give it a quick scan to see if anything was logged. Simple things like a confused signal from ABS sensor due to mud/grease etc can cause glitches.

thanks Khufu, its under warranty so think i will :undwech:

Did anything ever come of this plezz? Got the same problem/glitch

Try taking the cap off the brake fluid bottle and the cap has the sensor on it turn it upside down (to fool it into thinking the brake fluid is full) and then start the car and see if the light on the DIS goes out.

Been having the exact same problem on my 56 plate 170 tdi. Would only come on now and then but at least once every couple of days. Done a full scan and no faults shown.
Now, I changed my battery about five days ago to an upgraded Varta E44 (thanks Nige for the recommendation) and I have not once had the warning come back on. Not sure if this is just a coincidence?
Touch wood it does not come back on!

OK sounds like the battery could be on it's way out then, or at least struggling a little in the cold weather. Certainly haven't noticed anything else to indicate low voltage.

OK sounds like the battery could be on it's way out then, or at least struggling a little in the cold weather. Certainly haven't noticed anything else to indicate low voltage.

I never noticed anything else either mate. It seems though that the battery is the culprit on this occassion, well for me anyway!
Also my car starts up so much better now, especially with the cold mornings.

I recently charged the battery on mine and had the 'ESP fault - check your manual' message appear when I installed an old spare battery whilst charging the original off the car. But this may have been due to interruption rather than low voltage.

The warning was present even when I started the car after putting the original and now fully charged battery back in, but then it went away after driving for a few seconds and the warning symbol hasn't come back.

Perhaps trying a battery you know to be good would indicate whether it's low charge or something else.

I've had this too. I've also had my ABS/ESP unit pack-up on me outside of warranty. Got this sorted (Audi goodwill) after kicking up a fuss) as had complained about this random sporadic error since car was a year old. Even after the ABS unit replaced still get it (hoping the two were related and would sort it once and for all) It didn't and it still does it on my car now and again.

Have written letters to audi to complain, and they have assured me that it is a known 'characteristic' and is normal. Apparently they say it is to do with the voltage drop when starting causing the electronics to get a bit confused (hence if you get a new battery with plenty oooomph, you wont get this problem for a while - but will probably return as the battery ages again).

Top and bottom - you have to put up with it/ignore it. They won't be issuing a fix - they probably could but i just don't think they can be ***** quite frankly.

Mine flashed on my 09 plate S3 this morning "ESP FAULT" only when turning the key I.e when voltage is being shuffled about.

used to do the same on my 58 plate 170.

would seem to be the norm.

literally only flashes up for a split second.

i think i may have had it again the other day, but as i'm too lazy to top up my washer fluids i've got the orange 'spunking on the window' picture in the top of my DIS so i couldn't see it. I heard the warning beep for low fluid, then heard another beep which i think may have been ESP warning.. i'll top up tonight and look out for it again.

Reactions: mjr901