Longlife Oil

shresh

Reaction score
Website
none
For the extended warranty, we have to use the longlife oil...

but how does Audi tell what oil has been used in the past?

What do you guys recommend for a 2.0 Tdi?

You should have got a spare litre in the boot. Can't remember what make, but will take a look later and let you know.

My car is a company car so I tend not to spend my own money on it but,if it were 'my' car,I think I would be very tempted to give it 'sneaky' oil changes long before the (in my opinion) stupidly long service schedules.
Provided you use oil with the same viscosity ( I think it's 0w/30w),and therefore doesn't 'look' any different,I can't see how on earth your dealer would know.
I wouldn't recommend anything too fancy though.A semi synthetic is more than enough for a standard car.Fully synthetic is overkill,and a waste of money.

I had that spare litre, but can't find anything to match it in any of the petrol stations around West London.

Is there anything special about this oil? (0w 30)

The manual says you can use upto 0.5 litres of another oil in case of emergencies, but then what if i were to use 0.6 litres or even (god forbid) 1litre - will this leave any detectable signs if I make sure the correct oil is in by the time Audi see the engine?

As long as the oil matches VAG spec which for diesels I think is 506-00 or something like that.

Esso do an oil.
This is from their website.
Whether you can find a garage that stocks it is a different story.

ESSO ULTRON LD OW-30 Extended service oil for new VW and Audi vehicles providing extended oil drain.

Halfords sell the Longlife Castrol SLX? oil, same as in my spare Litre can anyway, it's just expensive, £40 for 4.5 litres (or something like that) I agree it seems a long stretch to 19,000 miles with no oil change, but I suppose Audi must have done their homework on it.

The oil I was told to use on my 2.0TDI by the dealers was Castrol SLX LongLife II. It is about £40-£45 for 5ltr from Halfords. It matches the VAG requirements for variable servicing.

Hope this helps

Well mine is Mobil SHC Formula LD 0W-30. This meets specs. 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01.

I got Castrol SLX LongLife II with mine as well.... suppost to be the best oil around... we'll see!!

[ QUOTE ]
Well mine is Mobil SHC Formula LD 0W-30. This meets specs. 503.00, 506.00 and 506.01.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well had to buy another ltr today. For reference to others it is £13.40 though I got it for £12.06.
Still bl**dy expensive though.

Check with your dealer, because my 1 litre was about £11 which is cheaper than my local Halfords. I got the Castrol with the car, but the dealer has now moved onto Mobil.

Back in July last year I paid £11.17, including VAT.

[ QUOTE ]
For the extended warranty, we have to use the longlife oil...

but how does Audi tell what oil has been used in the past?

[/ QUOTE ]

But for the extended 'warranty', don't Audi have to do all the servicing? so they will have done the changes themselves.

Or do you mean the Audi Variable Service schedule, where long life oil should be used? In this case why would audi care what oil you have put in? unless it fails under warranty (which is unlikely anyway due to old oil) it will just wear out quicker in later life - out of warranty!!

Yes the car is supposed to be serviced by a dealer, but you do have to check and top up the oil if necessary between services and you have to use the 'correct' oil according to the handbook.

I'm thinking of my petrol 2.0T - no oil required between services.

My last diesel was an A4 1.9TDI 130bhp, and that only used 3/4 litre in 17,000 miles up to the first service, so even if i put cheap oil in, it wouldn't do much to the remaining 'long life' oil between services.

My 2.0FSI has used about 4litres of oil in 12,000 miles..........not good in my opinion, it uses more oil than my T5 Volvo,oh, and thats done 180,000 miles

4 litres in 12K on a petrol engine? Are you sure your sump plug is still there?? The engine only hold 4.5 litres or so.

Thats worse than the worst-case spec for my old astra diesel van!!

My 2.0T FSI has now done 3700 miles and the oil hasn't moved 1mm on the dipstick. I don't expect to have to top up at all between services.

Do we all get oil? and if we do does it come in a container in the boot? I lifted the floor and lots of empty slots where things shoud be? I got a jack , stupid space saver tyre and screwdriver set!! Am I missing something??
My 3.2 has done nearly 10k since new in April and the service indicator still says 3.4k to go,,
I am not sure, since this is my first good car (used to have bmw), if I should get the service done earlier.
I don't use this site often so tell me if I am stupid but have checked the oil levels today and the oil stick is black and can't really tell what the oil level is.

Yeah, all the bl**dy Audi dipsticks are black and hard to read. The one for the TDI is even worse. You should have got a spare ltr in a plastic bag with gloves, paper funnel etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Do we all get oil? and if we do does it come in a container in the boot? I lifted the floor and lots of empty slots where things shoud be? I got a jack , stupid space saver tyre and screwdriver set!! Am I missing something??
My 3.2 has done nearly 10k since new in April and the service indicator still says 3.4k to go,,
I am not sure, since this is my first good car (used to have bmw), if I should get the service done earlier.
I don't use this site often so tell me if I am stupid but have checked the oil levels today and the oil stick is black and can't really tell what the oil level is.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case the top-up oil is in an nice Audi bag thing attached by velcro to the side of the boot. You can't miss it, so it sounds like they forgot to put it in.....

Nothing like that in my.. I only have some Castrol bag. As to 2,0FSI oil eating, mine ate 3l of oil at the first 12000km (~7500 miles), but has since then stopped eating the oil, at least that much.

In the Castrol there is the SLX and The SLX II.

They are different as they cover certain VW specs but not the same ones.

SLX = VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01

SLXII = VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.01

The specs are weighted between petrol and diesel.

SLX
502.00 = Petrol
505.00 = Diesel
503.01 = Petrol

SLXII
503.00 = Petrol
506.00 = Diesel
506.01 = Diesel

Castrol is expensive and you may find Fuchs better value for money.

Their equivalents are:

Titan Supersyn SL 0w-30
502.00, 505.00, 503.01

Titan Supersyn SL LL 0w-30
503.00, 506.00, 506.01

Fuchs are also VAG's Factory fill partner.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Simon