Chris NottSky Insurance
    3rd Gear

Status

ESP... Why would I ever turn it off?

Might be a dumb question, but this is the first car I've had that's had ESP and I'm trying to work out what situation would I need to be in where turning off the ESP would be to my advantage?

When do you turn it off and why?
    WANTED: S3 Side Skirts (3DR)

A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    You can get better traction when trying to get going in the snow, or when rocking the car back and forth to free it if you're stuck. Other than that you're better with it switched on. Listen to uncle Tiff: Fifth Gear ABS, TC, ESP Full version - YouTube

6th Gear

Status
    i was just about to post that video up
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

In awe of VCDS

Status
    Totally agree with the snow bit.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

3rd Gear

Status
    Cool, so its mainly used to keep the car on the road under heavy steering in bad conditions but back to my question - Why would I ever want it off?

A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

In awe of VCDS

Status
    I found that if I was stuck in the snow it would pull away a lot easier if you turned it off.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Triggy
    Next time you are stuck in the mud or snow or on a track day.........you would want to switch it off :-) it does dull the performance as well as not helping in the snow/mud
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Perhaps you might want to try and drive at the limit and see who wins - You or the Ditch!!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    This simple equation explains it

TDi + DSG + traction control x snow = going nowhere

TDi + DSG - traction control x snow = a chance of movement

The only time this equation does not work is when you add rear wheel drive to any of the above.

Give it until the snow comes and you will be praising the heavens for that off button.
    Last edited by 1inchpunch; 21st October 2011 at 16:50.
    the crisis mobile BMW Z4C 3.0
    It's quick and it sounds bloody good.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    as above snow mud etc
    or to have a bit of fun

2nd Gear

Status
    This is the kind of time you would switch it off: malderdmps's Channel - YouTube
    And this the kind of time you wish you left it switched on : Audi drive out. Epic fail! - YouTube
    Last edited by a3tdi2001; 21st October 2011 at 17:27.

2nd Gear

Status
    proper drivers turn it off

A to B drivers wont get that

1st Gear

Status
    Go too fast into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will sense you are not going in the direction of the steering wheel and it will feel bogged down. With it off, you will likely have to adjust the steering more, but you can get more power to your wheels and accelerate yourself out of the turn.

Go too slow into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will apply as much power as possible short of spinning the wheel out and accelerate you out of the turn. With it off, and especially if you are on the peak torque region of your engine, you will likely spin the wheels out and not carry yourself out of the turn as fast.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
    Go too fast into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will sense you are not going in the direction of the steering wheel and it will feel bogged down. With it off, you will likely have to adjust the steering more, but you can get more power to your wheels and accelerate yourself out of the turn.

Go too slow into a corner, and when you hit the gas, ESP will apply as much power as possible short of spinning the wheel out and accelerate you out of the turn. With it off, and especially if you are on the peak torque region of your engine, you will likely spin the wheels out and not carry yourself out of the turn as fast.
    looks like you are not an A to B driver

she's no d-turbo

Status
    Only time i've had it off is in the snow. ESP performed surprising well in the snow last year but sometimes it needs switched off to get going

MTW
    1st Gear

Status
    mine doesnt work

TM
    S-line SB

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3tdi2001 View Post
    And this the kind of time you wish you left it switched on : Audi drive out. Epic fail! - YouTube
    Is that SB being held up by a tree!! That would of been some scary sh*t!
    A3 Sportback 140 TDI S-line
    Mods: Number plate LEDs, Rear Rings delete, Rear S-line Badge, Internal Audi and Rings stickers, Silvatec chrome indicators, Interior LEDs, Chrome Fog Rings.
    Future mods: Remap, MY09 Rear LEDs.

SOLD & SADLY MISSED

1st Gear

Status
    4 wheel launches with Quattro
    Lava Grey A3 Hatchback S-line 170 Quattro, 18" Speedline Turini's, Bilstein B8 Shocks, 35mm H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Small Remap, Darkside Development EGR Delete, K&N Panel, Full S3 Brakes, Yellow Stuff Pads, Drilled/Grooved Disc's, Bi-Xenons, DRL's, Full Leather, RNS-E/Changer/Bose, LED Interior Light Pack + Ambient Lighting, Rain And Light Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Auto Folding Mirrors, Black Grill/Badges, MY11 Rears, Lamin-x Fogs.

4th Gear

Status
    Its more fun with if off but it has also saved me a few times so......
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MTW View Post
    mine doesnt work
    I'm afraid it will need sorted for next years MOT as it will now be a testable item.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    I'm afraid it will need sorted for next years MOT as it will now be a testable item.
    how the hell would they test it,by going out and giving the car the beans to get it to kick in, think its another one just like the "if your car has been remapped it wont pass" rubbish

6th Gear

Status
    It will be just a simple test: When you log a vehicle on for an MOT the Vehicle Specific Information will instruct on how the system should work, eg a warning light should come on & go out after 2 seconds etc. If a light stays on or doesn't come on (eg somebody has removed bulb/wiring etc) then it will fail. Same will go for the airbags too. Its just the same way they test the ABS the now. As long as the warning lights do as they should you will be fine even if the items dont actually work LOL

checking for a remap IS rubbish

events moderator

Status
    as said only turn it off in the snow , my light is on best i get saving to get that sorted then eh lol
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    It will be just a simple test: When you log a vehicle on for an MOT the Vehicle Specific Information will instruct on how the system should work, eg a warning light should come on & go out after 2 seconds etc. If a light stays on or doesn't come on (eg somebody has removed bulb/wiring etc) then it will fail. Same will go for the airbags too. Its just the same way they test the ABS the now. As long as the warning lights do as they should you will be fine even if the items dont actually work LOL

checking for a remap IS rubbish
    what if you remove the button and replace it with a blank,just like a spare,if you dont have it it will pass but if you have it and its flat/worn it wont,not that i see a point to removing the switch but "hypothetically" because not all cars have T/C or ESP

6th Gear

Status
    Thats what the VSI is for - its data from the manufacturer on what certain models should have fitted. If its an option for a model then removing the button & light could work unless it gets its data from the VIN number as opposed to the model. In the case of the 8P A3 they all have it as standard so the VSI will say this and it will be required where say for a corsa it will say 'if fitted it must meet the requirements'.

Though not yet confirmed as VOSA are still in talks with the goverment, the changes to the MOT for 2012 could be advisories for the 1st 6 months.

flying oyster

Status
    why switch it on its so much more fun to drive without
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

1st Gear

Status
    Depends if you have FWD or quattro. Turning it off on FWD will just result in alot of plowing. Turning it off on a quattro will allow all both axles to spin, resulting in 4 wheel drifting. To bad you can't turn off ESP w/o turning off traction control, since the inner wheel will frequently lose traction first and you can't gain any more speed from increased throttle.

On a journey...

Status
    If you have an S-Tronic (DSG) gearbox, then it's essential to disengage the ESP if you want to exercise the launch control mode.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I never really drive the car that hard to be fair so I'll wait till the snow comes to test this out