A3 2.0TDI low poor sh*t MPG.. driving me crazy some 1help!!

No that's what it says honiest what I will do is take photos when I fill up again on the first off the month with cost and and every thing

Best bet is to fill up completely then run until the warning light comes on. Fill up completely again, noting the mileage, and then calculate the mpg from amount of litres put in. Ignore anything to do with the computer even when it tells you there is 60 or so miles left, just go fill up when the warning comes on.

Best bet is to fill up completely then run until the warning light comes on. Fill up completely again, noting the mileage, and then calculate the mpg from amount of litres put in. Ignore anything to do with the computer even when it tells you there is 60 or so miles left, just go fill up when the warning comes on.

yeah that is what i was going to do at the end of the month and use the formula that we use at work at the end ff the month and see what i am getting and will put what my findings are keep u all posted

lol yeah but serious is there some thing wrong our is it some thing i am doing wrong driving wise

I think I'm beintg a bit dim, what is it you think is wrong? Do you think you should be getting more to the galoon or less? Or are you worried about somethig else entirely?

on a full tank, doing motorway miles im achieiving bout 720-750 miles per full tank in a 2004 a3 sport 2.0 tdi

on a full tank, doing motorway miles im achieiving bout 720-750 miles per full tank in a 2004 a3 sport 2.0 tdi

:ohmy: Is that at a constant 56mph with cruise control or without ????????

I have a 2006 2.0 tdi sportback and only twice have I had 500 miles on a tank before the warning light tells me there's 60 miles left !

Yeah that would have to be constant mway driving & cruise at 60 or so to get that, which tbh is near impossible on these roads, I have had 62mpg on cruise doing 60mph, but that was a shortlived reading with traffic etc.

I think I'm beintg a bit dim, what is it you think is wrong? Do you think you should be getting more to the galoon or less? Or are you worried about somethig else entirely?

i don't now i just think because i do 500 miles a month and having a diesel a full tank should last me the full month that was the main reason we got it because are petrol was costing more in money but i think i have not gained in any way if that makes since

i don't now i just think because i do 500 miles a month and having a diesel a full tank should last me the full month that was the main reason we got it because are petrol was costing more in money but i think i have not gained in any way if that makes since

Hang about mate, I'm totally confused !!

In post #33 you said you were getting 750 miles per tank. If you're doing 500 miles a month then the tank (in theory) should last 6 weeks !

What are you actually saying ??

Hang about mate, I'm totally confused !!

In post #33 you said you were getting 750 miles per tank. If you're doing 500 miles a month then the tank (in theory) should last 6 weeks !

What are you actually saying ??[/QUOTE

last month i got 750mile on my dash when i filled up from empty to full i do 500mile a month not including little runs in to town so in theory it should last but it doesn't and there is not lights on my dash no power problems in hole with the car so what i am asking is it some thing i am doing wrong as my driving style as its my first derv our is it the car hope that's makes since and clears it up for u mate lol

The fuel range shown on the dis when you fill up cant be taken as gospel, its just an estimate, not exact, I often see it more than it finally ends up being as such, its only when you drive it calculates from starts, stops etc, take that 1st reading with a big pinch of salt as nobody drives identically everyday, there's number of factors that affect how much fuel you'd use.

I think what you are saying is that the time before last fill up it showed 750 miles had been travelled.

You then filled up again and this time only travelled 500 miles or so before having to put some more in.

I bet you had forgotten to zero the trip computer after filling up the first time ! If you forget to do this and put more fuel in then you will think it has travelled further than it actually has.

500 miles to a tank is a reasonable average, not 750 !

Fill up completely again and zero the trip computer. When you next need to fill up make a note of number of miles on trip computer and number of litres put in.

Divide number of litres by 4.54 to get to gallons (near enough) and then divide that number of gallons into total mileage.

Answer is miles per gallon. If you get 45 - 50 then that is about average and will give you about 550 miles per tankful.

Ye I think he needs to be a little bit clearer with his info hey Mike :)

yeah like i said i think the best bet is just to work it out in the formula at the end off the month well keep u posted thanks all

I'd thought I'd come back to this thread, on my Audi (2006 3door sline TDI 140) I'm only getting 475ish miles out of a full tank, I've done three full tank full's now and calculated (from brim to brim calculations) I get 42mpg (also what the computer says). I've ignored my first full tank full as I was flooring it for a while, but now I've settled into my work commuter.

I don't really drive fast, hardly ever more than 80mph but keep up with traffic so cruise at 70-75mph. My commute is mainly motorway.

I really was expecting much better than this, I got a true 48-50mpg on my 2001 Golf TDI 130pd.

I have checked the basics, tyre pressures, air filter is brand new. It's also going into the garage on thurs, so want them to check it out. Should I specifically mention the fuel temperature sensor? They will probably say it's all ok, but you all of you are getting far more than me and I do know how to drive economically.

I'd thought I'd come back to this thread, on my Audi (2006 3door sline TDI 140) I'm only getting 475ish miles out of a full tank, I've done three full tank full's now and calculated (from brim to brim calculations) I get 42mpg (also what the computer says). I've ignored my first full tank full as I was flooring it for a while, but now I've settled into my work commuter.

I don't really drive fast, hardly ever more than 80mph but keep up with traffic so cruise at 70-75mph. My commute is mainly motorway.

I really was expecting much better than this, I got a true 48-50mpg on my 2001 Golf TDI 130pd.

I have checked the basics, tyre pressures, air filter is brand new. It's also going into the garage on thurs, so want them to check it out. Should I specifically mention the fuel temperature sensor? They will probably say it's all ok, but you all of you are getting far more than me and I do know how to drive economically.

I'm getting the same in my 2006 TDI 140 sportback but mine is all short runs and knocking about town.

On a motorway at a constant 75mph (ish) I get 55mpg but it soon averages down again about town.

I'm getting the same in my 2006 TDI 140 sportback but mine is all short runs and knocking about town.

On a motorway at a constant 75mph (ish) I get 55mpg but it soon averages down again about town.

The worst seems to be on the motorway where at 70mph it only gets 40mpg. I expected 50+ at that speed. I'm just wondering if it has been remapped by the previous owner.

The worst seems to be on the motorway where at 70mph it only gets 40mpg. I expected 50+ at that speed. I'm just wondering if it has been remapped by the previous owner.

Maybe - 40 mpg at a steady 70mph seems very low !

I just got this earlier on my way home... Pulled into a petrol station to fill up and thought I'd take a quick snap, I always reset the trip after I fill up

4cd3f79f.jpg

I just got this earlier on my way home... Pulled into a petrol station to fill up and thought I'd take a quick snap, I always reset the trip after I fill up

That's good. How many litres did it take it get it back to full? If you used 50litres (hence 5litres left in tank) that's 49.52mpg, which is what I would like to get!

i honestly dont know, i just fill up the tank until it click and stops me from fillling up any further. though sometimes i do look and its like 53liters :ninja:

i honestly dont know, i just fill up the tank until it click and stops me from fillling up any further. though sometimes i do look and its like 53liters :ninja:

I just check the ltr's on the receipt.

I don't know if it's useful but I'll post anyway :jump:

On my second fillup today on the 170 Quattro I'm getting 42.98 mpg, which is a slight improvement from the first fillup which was 41.60 mpg.

I'm putting this down to me getting more comfortable with the car and working out where it wants to change gear and doing more long runs.

So, not too bad I don't think?

For a 170 Quattro I would say that's ok (I'm assuming before 2008 engine).

I actually got 45mpg driving home last night, stuck at 65-70 all the way home!

No, mine is a 2011 170, that's a calculated mpg as opposed to what the computer tells me, as what that says is palpable nonsense :)

Ok, got my car back from the garage and it had no fault codes or anything wrong at all. I think the 42mpg average I get is all I'm going to get, and I have to accept it.

Now I'm thinking about a remap, although more power is nice, on the daily commute I hardly go above 75mph due to the traffic so a remap getting more mpg would be nice.

What do people recommend for a remap?

Ive not really started driving my A3 yet,an d still learning the controls, but.

The average reading was 56, the one that doesnt reset itself. Thats from previous owner.
Ive taken it home a couple of times, 10 miles to work, about 7 on motorway, rest town, and 7.5 miles home, all single lane, town type roads, back streets etc. For my trips, i got 58, driving a bit more enthusiatically than i normally would.

As a comparison, i have a 2001 BMW 330d Sport manual, which same routes, i get about 46 on, driving like a grandad.
I would be severely unhappy with similar MPG from a 2.0, in a car which is smaller and lighter.

I would be severely unhappy with similar MPG from a 2.0, in a car which is smaller and lighter.

I agree, but I don't know what to do. A friend who is a mechanic had a good look around it, and nothing is wrong, no fault codes or anything. All tyre pressures are correct, etc etc.

Same sort of post of the A4 B8 threads, very poor MPG from the TDi 170's or the TDi's in general!

My A4 Quattro has just passed 6000 miles, and the MPG's are stable around the 40 mark which IMO is shocking! Maybe it's because my Beemer 320d engine was just RWD, but the pick up on these things is poor as well!
Kinda wished I'd had the 2.0 TFSI, as people are saying there getting the same MPG's as my TDi!

i was getting 400 to a tank every time in my 2.0 tdi 140 quattro i bought some redex fuel system cleaner just the little bottle from halfords (£2.50) and now my dis says iv got 380 miles left and iv done 110 may be a losd of **** but ill get back to you when iv used the full tank

yea im the same full tank £72.10 i get around 500miles on that but averaging 48-51mpg on my commute to work. Try the easy and cost free actions before paying out money ie try giving ya air filter a good clean out and see if you have any loose pipes or hoses under the bonnet

FAO users with 170hp TDI's..

How many miles are you getting to a full tank?

I can reach roughly 400-450 in mine, however it has had the DPF deleted and running roughly 210hp.

Reactions: pjr
Well I've done 2 full tanks in the last month :

Pre-injector swap & a 50/50 mix of town & motoway driving : 450 miles approx

Post-injector swap all town driving: 400 miles approx (although the car was running like a bag of poo most of the time)

Hopefully the next full tank will give me a better result.

Bring back the PD engines :p I easily achieve 60+ motorways and B roads, still manage 40 town driving without even trying to save fuel

I've just edited my sig to state the car I have, as the MPG will be for different engines. I have the BKD engine 140pd TDI.

When I fill my car, I always do this to the absolute brim (until the pump clicks), and usually refill when the light comes back on - hence I know the exact mpg I get from each fill.

My car usually states 500miles when full, however the light comes on when 40ish miles are left in the tank - when I fill it is usually 50litres (the tank is 55litres). I therefore get about 460miles from 50litres, or 41.82mpg. My DIS for economy is surprisingly accurate.

I've done nearly 2000 miles in the past 3weeks (since buying it), and have tried everything. My commute to work is 75mph max, and is mostly motorway or A road (doing 50mph). All the sensors are correct, the air filter is brand new (genuine part). It has a brand new Turbo (genuine part) and has just had a full service. I've even tried running tyre pressures at 40psi

I would actually quite like to drive another similar car to see if they are all like this. My old car (VW Golf 2001, 1.9pd 130 TDI) got a true 49mpg, that means this car is costing me nearly £500 more in fuel a year.

I'm just on my third fillup, properly calculated mpg on this tank is 43.21 mpg, up from 42.98 last time (reminder I have a 2011 A3 170 TDi Black Edition).

Still not at the heady heights of my E90 318d which gave me 53 mpg, but I'm putting that down to the car only having 3000 miles on the clock and it being a Quattro.

I can live with it, but it's surprising that a 2011 A3 can't do better than that...

I would actually quite like to drive another similar car to see if they are all like this. My old car (VW Golf 2001, 1.9pd 130 TDI) got a true 49mpg, that means this car is costing me nearly £500 more in fuel a year.

:icon_thumright:

I scraped 65 miles with the light on... Didn't go further as DIS was saying 2 miles left!

I regularly do 40 MPG but long runs are the only times i've got over 500 miles to a tank.

Did Inverness -> Hereford on 1 tank... (515 miles) :)