A3 2.0TDI low poor sh*t MPG.. driving me crazy some 1help!!

AntonTDI

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a 2006 A3 2.0TDi 140 sport, 145k on the clock.

Got really bad mpg like 28 on average, so a friend reccomended to change the fuel filter, was a big sucsess 48+mpg!

Then the seals go on(lots of whislte) the turbo cooling system that leads to the intercooler (the big pipes) so my guy changes them all!
Also changed the 2 front tyres and now I'm getting. 33mpg!!
50pound of fshell fuel save gets me 3/4's of a tank wat give me 300 miles..

Witch in reailty gets you no where!

Tyres are in flated all round to 34psi! New diesel filter a month ago, all turbo intercooler pipes are sealed well! New tyres, good quality fuel so what could it be!

One of those things that you just think 'nightmare' and this is one of them!

All your help would be apprchiated!

Sorry for ne mistakes posting off my bb X0

Thanks

have you changed the coolant sensor? do you have access to vcds(vag-com)?

Hey guys thanks for the reply,

Yea I got access to vag-com, what should I tell my guy to check? Never changed the coolant temp sensor! U guys think its this? Is that a common thing?

Plus I forgot to mention before it had a new engine @ audi 20thousand miles ago, frm previous owner! So the mileageshould nt really affect it..

Gettin sick of driving like a granny! Soon as I boot it bye bye diesel :(

Am I correct in thinking there are 2 of these sensors on these engines?

Hey guys thanks for the swift reply, I got access to vag com what should I tell my guy to look for on it? Will I be able to no if I need to change the sensor from the vag com?

Also is there two sensors or just 1?

Is it a known faulty or common problem with these sensors?

Getting sick of driving like a granny now! When I boot it its bye bye diesel :(

Hey guys thanks for the swift reply, I got access to vag com what should I tell my guy to look for on it? Will I be able to no if I need to change the sensor from the vag com?

Also is there two sensors or just 1?

Is it a known faulty or common problem with these sensors?

Getting sick of driving like a granny now! When I boot it its bye bye diesel :(

They are known to break. Ive replaced one of pretty much every VAG car Ive had, and need to do mine now as it threw up a fault a few months back (not quite got round to sorting it!). When you scan VAGCOM will register an error relating directly to the temp sender if its faulty.

DOes your temp needle sit on 90 degrees. Thermostat might be ****** if not.

Hey mate, yea it does sit on the 90! Bang on half way..

What does this eleminate now?

this sounds silly but a full fluid and filter service does wonders. i was experiencing lower MPG and lag on my car and was ignorign the service light for a couple weeks but then the lag progressed to rough acceleration. did an oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, etc.. and now car is puling like a train again and average MPG is back to where i am used to seeing it... 55 - 60 MPG

Does sound like a coolant temperature problem. I'm not that up on Audis but it was a common fault on BMWs with the 320d often returning MPG in the low 20s due to 1 or both of the sensors being faulty. The tell tale sign with them was that the car felt fine in every way until you noticed the fuel gauge rapidly moving to the left.

I get around 200 miles to £40 in my mapped 2.0 TDI. was quite content with that.

What is the average people get from the 140 TDI? :huh:

Thats about 32 MPG which is appalling!

I often put in 15 litres (about £21) and I get 140-160 miles. Thats around 43-48 MPG.

On a recent 200 mile trip it took £25 to fill the car to the rim at 139 per litre, think that worked out around 50 mpg. On mixed i get 40 mpg and using the car only to get to work and home (9 mile round trip) , so the engine never gets a chance to warm up i get 33 mpg, that's cruising around 80 mph for 7 miles of that. The car has been remapped but to around 180 bhp but that only comes into effect if i floor it, which i don't very often...
Thought that was around average for a 140 Tdi ??? :unsure:

On a recent 200 mile trip it took £25 to fill the car to the rim at 139 per litre, think that worked out around 50 mpg. On mixed i get 40 mpg and using the car only to get to work and home (9 mile round trip) , so the engine never gets a chance to warm up i get 33 mpg, that's cruising around 80 mph for 7 miles of that. The car has been remapped but to around 180 bhp but that only comes into effect if i floor it, which i don't very often...
Thought that was around average for a 140 Tdi ??? :unsure:

Pretty much the same deal with me, got a mapped 140 TDI.

My commute to work is 5 mins tops as I live very close to work, lucky really.
Suppose the car never really warms up.

Took it up the motorway last weekend and got 60mpg on the DIS, Was very happy with that :rock:
I think it's the type of driving I do that determines the fuel usage. Our diesels are best for long journeys.

I get around 500-550 miles to a full tank & that's mainly motorway driving on a standard 140TDi (45mile round trip to work).

Trip says it averages mid 40's MPG.

I've just got an 06 TDI 140 (PD engine), and my first full tank I got 42mpg - approx 500miles. I always fill the tank to the brim, and I zero the trip computer so when I fill next time I can work out the true MPG.

I'm hoping I get a lot better than that, although I've only had the car 10days (done 700miles so far in it). My computer said I had 530miles on a completely full tank.

Also, when does your turbo kick in? Mine seems to be 2,500revs upwards which is higher than usual for a diesel.

Depends on your driving styles & locations, motorway will be higher, but city/towns will drop, 42mpg isnt too bad, more info needed.

530 on full tank isnt bad at all tbh.

2-2.5 seems ok for turbo, but only way to be sure if from diagnostics as the needle isnt perfectly accurate is it, if you have sticking vanes then it may be a little lazy, only 1 way to check tbh is by removing, but some logs & comparisons will advise of any issues, using say vcds.

I've only had mine a week, Tdi 170 Quattro but my first brim to brim calculated mpg was 42. It has about 2500 miles on it so it might loosen up a bit as time goes by.

That was generally A road/motorway with a few short runs mixed in.

Obviously early days but just thought I'd post for comparisons sake :)

I have a 07 170 TDI DSG with 40k miles and only get 330 miles for a full tank!

It's all short urban journeys with the odd run on the motorway.

It's been serviced for long life service 2000 miles ago and runs smooth(injectors change made it even smoother)

Any thoughts??

thanks

Has anyone any thoughts on what I should be checking in order to improve it?

tyre pressures?

anything on VCDS?

thanks

i think I'd be checking to see if somebody has swapped your engine over in the night?! ;)

on a serious note I guess I'd be checking fuel filter, perhaps MAF readings etc.

try remapping it. might improve things. it did on mine.

When was the last time it had a full service? i saw a nice gain when i changed my fuel filter and oil filters on my last full service.
also i dont know how you drive but i have been driving at a max speed of 75mph on motorways and in general town driving i try not to rev it too much when pulling away from lights... try not to use the brakes too much so drive a little more slower and leave more space between cars so that you can just lift your foot off the accelerator to slow down?
I know thats not entirely helpful but i have found that those little changes have improved my MPG from 54-55 to 60-62

450-500 should be easy with mixed driving with the diesels, to get 600+ means mostly motorway steady speeds.

Reactions: Roady
When was the last time it had a full service? i saw a nice gain when i changed my fuel filter and oil filters on my last full service.
also i dont know how you drive but i have been driving at a max speed of 75mph on motorways and in general town driving i try not to rev it too much when pulling away from lights... try not to use the brakes too much so drive a little more slower and leave more space between cars so that you can just lift your foot off the accelerator to slow down?
I know thats not entirely helpful but i have found that those little changes have improved my MPG from 54-55 to 60-62

It had a full service at 37.5k miles and it's on 40k now, the sevices was oils, filter air etc it also had DSG oil and filter done.

As I do short trips where it doesn't have a chance to get up to full temp could the DPF be getting blocked and lead to higher consumption?

The DPF regen light has come on once so I stayed on motorway as described in the manual until it went out

I've read running out fuel is bad as the system need to be bled but I've never done that.

Is running it low until the warning light comes on or ten miles past that point bad for a diesel engine?

ive got a Sline 2.0Ltr TFsi pertrol and my fuel consuption is shocking - at todays prices i fill up £20 and get 100 miles so on a full tank of about £70-£75 im getting around 350ish

Is that bad - the car has clocked 100k so what do you reckon i should do to increase MPG - fluid and filter changes ??

ive got a Sline 2.0Ltr TFsi pertrol and my fuel consuption is shocking - at todays prices i fill up £20 and get 100 miles so on a full tank of about £70-£75 im getting around 350ish

Is that bad - the car has clocked 100k so what do you reckon i should do to increase MPG - fluid and filter changes ??

What kind of driving are you doing?

Cost of the fuel is irrelevant, it just sounds worse mile/pound than ever these days!! 350miles on a tank isn't bad, that's about 35mpg assuming you don't run it dry (ie 1 gallon usually always left on an "empty" tank).

i do communting 14 mile a day (7 to work and 7 back) and then a 130 mile round trip at the weekend. I never let it go all the way down, just when the display shows 30ish miles left

I have a Audi a3 sports 140 and i this month put £80s iof performance diesel and i got about 750 miles on a full tank, Monday to Friday around trip in do 24miles and that's little back roads and dual-carriage ways doing speeds off 50 to 60 miles an hour max but by the end off the third week i have to put in an extra £20 just to see me to the end off the month, i have no lights on my dash no power problems very thing is working great on the car but i feel there is something wrong still any ideas

thanks jay

Hold up, you're getting 750 to a tank and you think there's something wrong? I think you need a clairvoyant dude :D

Reactions: staceface
lol yeah but serious is there some thing wrong our is it some thing i am doing wrong driving wise

I've got a 2.0TDi 170 on 98K. I've been through two tank refills since buying the car now

First tank full involved 80%+ city driving - plenty of start stop and loads of up hill driving, so not good conditions for fuel economy. I got 34MPG according to the on board computer, but in reality it worked out as 35MPG. I'm happy enough with that - the car is going on twice as powerful as my previous 2.0 turbo diesel (Peugeot), yet still managing slightly better MPG around the town

The second tank full involved 90%+ motorway driving - mainly around the 70MPH mark, so not too heavy footed. I managed 54MPG in reality, whilst the on board computer read 55MPG. This is a good 5 or 6 MPG better than my previous car, so I'm very happy with this return

On another note, I was told on here that the on board computer tends to over read your MPG return, so in reality you should knock a few MPG of what it tells you you're getting. But to be honest I found it almost spot on for both occassions now

I have a Audi a3 sports 140 and i this month put £80s iof performance diesel and i got about 750 miles on a full tank, Monday to Friday around trip in do 24miles and that's little back roads and dual-carriage ways doing speeds off 50 to 60 miles an hour max but by the end off the third week i have to put in an extra £20 just to see me to the end off the month, i have no lights on my dash no power problems very thing is working great on the car but i feel there is something wrong still any ideas

thanks jay

750 miles to a tank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely that's impossible even if you never exceed 30 mph ?? :think:

Reactions: Andy86
No that's what it says honiest what I will do is take photos when I fill up again on the first off the month with cost and and every thing

750miles is doable on long journeys but you got to be mega light footed to do it over a series of shorter journies.

Surely that's impossible even if you never exceed 30 mph ?? :think:

Exceeding 30 is better for fuel efficiency. I read a while back that a continued 56MPH is the best speed for an optimal MPG return. Obviously that varies for different cars and different engines, but in general that's around the best speed. It tails away VERY quickly around 70MPH and beyond though

No that's what it says honiest what I will do is take photos when I fill up again on the first off the month with cost and and every thing

I don't trust that computer at all. Your best bet is to reset computer 2 and measure you're MPG over the course of a tank full. Once you've emptied the tank, let us know what the MPG return was according to computer 2. I think I'm correct in saying that 750 miles to a tank full would work out around the 60MPG mark, which I'd say is only do able in constant, very restrained motorway driving

Last edited: