Gaitor split?!

marwayg

Reaction score
Hi al, i just been told my gaitor is split (driveshaft gaitor on passenger side i believe)

How much would i be looking to pay for the part? and is it worth getting second hand? and how much would i be charged labour?

I havent got any crank noises or issues at the moment but it is bound to appear in the near future. Rather get it sorted now than later!

Cheers guys! :)

(P.s I have a picture my mechanic took of the gaitor, i will post when he sends it me)

Gaitors arent dear, we put them out at £10+VAT when repairing a car. An OEM Audi one would be dearer though. Its a easy job if you have a ramp & correct tools LOL. Wheel off, undo shaft nut (36mm socket?), undo the torx at the other end of the shaft where its conneced it to the gearbox. This lets you remove the shaft down & chap the shaft out of the hub with copper mallet.

Remove the old boot & chap the CV joint off of the shaft - some may have a circlip that needs removed. Fitting is just the reverse of what you have done.

I dont have ANY mechanic skills or the tools :sadlike:... £10 seems cheeap for a gaitor!!! Where would i look to get one ?
Also, how much for labour cost (approx)

And, what do u mean 'pattern ones'?

Patterned parts ie not genuine Audi one. Get one from any car spares dealers or euro car parts or similar. £10 for the part and an hour tops for labour. I had mine replaced last week and my mechanic said he had done three Audi a3's in the past week, all the same passenger side cv gaiter.