Hi Guys, new to the forum and not that mechanically knowledgeable so sorry in advance if i'm asking daft questions or something that has been covered before.
I have an A3 2.0 FSI on a 04 plate. The car is currently in an Audi dealership having suffered what they tell me is an timing chain failure meaning it needs a new head, rails, gaskets etc and have quoted me £3,700!! including a goodwill reduction in labour charges.
The car has done 68k miles and had a new cambelt 6 months (and 6k miles) ago.
They tell me the chain is not a service item i.e it never needs changing but they can fail, they don't know why it happended in this case and basically i got unlucky. I currently speaking to an independent garage for a quote as really don't want to pay £3,700.
I was wondering if:
1. Anyone has had anything similar happen and have any advice?
2. If so how much they reckon would be a good price to get fixed?
3. Would i have any recourse to Audi for a part failing which is not a service item?
4. Any good independent garages to speak to in Sussex for a quote?
5. Any other ideas/info much appreciated.
Thanks in advance