Volks AutosSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Question Rear wiper dilema

Ok,my rear wiper like many other 8p motors has never worked since i bought the car (didnt think to check when i bought the car)

The water jet worked but the actual arm wouldnt sweep. I checked the fuse and that was fine.I could hear the relay when moving the wiper stalk forward.Anyway after reading many threads on here i thought,looks like its a new wiper motor

Called Audi and the price is £104.78 including vat for the new revised part (ending in E).Anyway ordered the part which should be in tomorrow and was told i can pay cash on collection although i was going to pay by card on the phone

Anyway as i heard the boot panel is a pain to get off and the arm seems to weld itself on,i thought id start stripping the old motor out ready for the new one tomorrow.Couldnt get the arm off so i have left that to soak in wd40 (hoping it will come off easily tomorrow) Spent a while getting the boot panel off to find " The plug from the motor had been disconnected!!!)

Plugged it into the motor and hey presto,the wiper works fine!!
    The only problem i have is when i spray the water it seaps out of the motor so i take it the seal/pipe has broken inside

My question is,do i pay £104.78 to spray some water on the rear window or disconnect and block off the water pipe and use the wiper without water and have a night out with the money saved???
    3dr Dolphin Grey Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line

2. # ADS
    ADS

ste
    reverse gear

Status
    hi, thats what ive done and plugged the washer pipe. mine used to leak into the bootlock switch and trigger the alarm off.

she's no d-turbo

Status
    I'd try and fix the existing motor. A few o-ring seals and some silicon would probably have it sorted. I have mine sitting in front of me and it looks easy enough to disassemble. Alternatively buy a second hand wiper motor, id sell you mine if your interested. £105 from audi seems pretty steep

2nd Gear

Status
    how you getting on with it.

Im starting to think just bite the bullet and pick up the new motor cause they do through up alot of muck and im thinking its just goint to smear the window and make things worse with no washer???

My other dilema if i do pick up the new motor is how am i going to get the wiper arm off it seems to have stuck solid although i have flooded it with wd40 it may be a little easier tomorrow???

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by moag View Post
    I'd try and fix the existing motor. A few o-ring seals and some silicon would probably have it sorted. I have mine sitting in front of me and it looks easy enough to disassemble. Alternatively buy a second hand wiper motor, id sell you mine if your interested. £105 from audi seems pretty steep
    I did think about running a bead of silicon around the casing but then the casing is just going to fill up with water

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by afcjay View Post
    I did think about running a bead of silicon around the casing but then the casing is just going to fill up with water
    Isnt it the metal pipe that corrodes inside the casing? If so can this be replaced?

she's no d-turbo

Status
    If you don't have a functioning washer you'll scratch the hell out of your rear screen very quickly.

I took mine off completely as i prefer the look of the rear without it. When I was taking mine off it was seized on real bad, but i used a wiper removal tool to get the wiper arm off. Your local motor factors should stock them

she's no d-turbo

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by afcjay View Post
    Isnt it the metal pipe that corrodes inside the casing? If so can this be replaced?
    No idea bro, I took haven't taken mine apart!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by moag View Post
    If you don't have a functioning washer you'll scratch the hell out of your rear screen very quickly.

I took mine off completely as i prefer the look of the rear without it. When I was taking mine off it was seized on real bad, but i used a wiper removal tool to get the wiper arm off. Your local motor factors should stock them
    ah right,i didnt realise there was a tool for it.Ill see if the wd40 did the trick tomorrow

1st Gear

Status
    Do it properly, you know deep down you'll be happier when its done working properly and with the up coming winter weather the salt and grit will flick up all over the boot window and you either won't be able to see out of it or you'll do the wiper and scratch al the glass.
    Lava Grey A3 Hatchback S-line 170 Quattro, 18" Speedline Turini's, Bilstein B8 Shocks, 35mm H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Small Remap, Darkside Development EGR Delete, K&N Panel, Full S3 Brakes, Yellow Stuff Pads, Drilled/Grooved Disc's, Bi-Xenons, DRL's, Full Leather, RNS-E/Changer/Bose, LED Interior Light Pack + Ambient Lighting, Rain And Light Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Auto Folding Mirrors, Black Grill/Badges, MY11 Rears, Lamin-x Fogs.

5th Gear

Status
    I soaked mine in liquid wrench (literally filled up the area the bolt sits in) and left it for 24hrs. Came off a treat mext day

Ive now 'de-wipered' although probably not the best time of year to have done it! Looks good, but might stick it back on over the winter.

2nd Gear

Status
    bit the bullet in the end and picked up the new motor today
    tried to get the arm off again this morning but still solid but the good guys at audi got a puller on it for me when i collected the motor so alls good and ill be able to see out the rear window now lol

1st Gear

Status
    Ball joint splitter!