U.S. Sytle Cup holders - Centre console

Cheers N8 - ****** off that I couldn't finish it tonight.

Not sure how to wire up the Aux in, wires supplied are too short and not sure what wire connects to what :S Need a diagram or something to follow

Not sure how to wire up the Aux in, wires supplied are too short and not sure what wire connects to what :S Need a diagram or something to follow

Shut ur trap boycie, I'm on it :p

I'll wing over an email tomorrow with wiring.

Ok so the console is successfully fitted and here are some more pictures.

The pipes in question which cause the console to sit out a bit:

8f2c428a.jpg

Under the armrest 12v sockets and Aux in installed and wired (bar aux in, another day!)

9b9bb3e4.jpg

13fa5445.jpg

Now ready to start putting everything back together:

Old ash tray and slot fit perfectly

f7e1bb2b.jpg

db8f2e08.jpg

c180fb3b.jpg

Only thing I need to get is more of these bolt covers which are located along the foot wells

311a0985.jpg

None of the above fit so heading to TPS to see if I can order more - I also now have a complete list of parts required to do this as I have around 5/6 parts left over that I didn't need - maybe £40 worth.

All fitted:

4f94386c.jpg

Triangle supports are away to get covered in leather so hopefully get them back later this week and installed.

I will stick up a full parts list later today hopefully once I am back from TPS

A good project IMO if a little tedious at times but hopefully this rough guide will help you who want to do it as well. I would really take your time in getting the right length to cut off, it is trial and error but better be safe than sorry.

The passenger side will poke out a bit, something I have still to sort out but it is ok.

Definitly remove your hand brake cover, much easier and less chance of marking it.

Reactions: robbiemac, poli84, MrWhItEwOlF and 2 others
looks good mate!
where did you wire the extra 12v into? im thinking that the original cig lighter port wouldnt be a good idea since it will over load the fuse

TBH that 12v original supply is on a fairly capable circuit anyway, so using as a charger for phones etc should be fine & afaik Boycie doesnt smoke :)

Nice Boydie.

-And don't forget... owing to the perverse nature of the world (and everyone wantong what everyone ELSE has got!) you can probably make a fortune selling your OLD console over here in the states!

(It's EURO... who wouldn't want it!)

;-)

Reactions: MartayMcFly and Ash187
If you know anyone wanting it, send them my way lol

I used the exisiting 12v supply and came off it for the other one.

Not long back from TPS so have the other wee parts ordered and should be here in a couple of days.

Brilliant guide, really wanting to copy you (again) and get this done. Glad to see the trimming isn't too extensive, and hidden right at the front of the console. Suppose I just have to wait for the final parts list and then GAME ON!

Looks good mate! Did you have to remove the HVAC unit to remove the triangles?

Looks good mate! Did you have to remove the HVAC unit to remove the triangles?

No, looks like he managed with the unit in place. You CAN reach the bolts/screws underneath without having to remove the HVAC (photo of a ratchet on one of them in the first group of pics).

Just wondering is it possible to replace the drinks holder slot with the compartment shown or do you have to replace the whole console?...also can you buy the AUX socket thing separately and if so does anybody have a part number?...Thanks :)

You do not have to remove the HVAC - just remove the nearest bolts to the triangles, spread them apart slightly so you can wiggle out the ashtray - it is just clipped in, then use an extension socket bar to remove the last two bolts at the bottom/back of the HVAC

Kevin - unfortunately it is a full replacement job :(

I thought I had listed the part number but must have done on another site - will post it up soon (think said site is down!)

Thanks for the likes/thanks!

Parts list and prices:

000979227EA
Repair wire which I used to wire in the extra 12v supply
2 off
£7.48 each
£14.21 (-5%)

000979023E
1 off
£5.89 each
£5.60 (-5%)

1J0919321
Think this was a socket for the 12v
1 off
£0.85 each
£0.81 (-5%)

8P18632416PS
USA Centre Console
1 off
£81.07 each
£72.96 (-10%)

8P0863387G6PS
12V supply, lighter and slot for Aux in
1 off
£38.05 each
£34.24 (-10%)

8J0035475 Aux in
1 off
£unknown

1J0972977G Plug for Aux in
1 off
£unknown

8P1 863 752 04S Console Bolt Cover
8P1 863 274 05S Console Bolt Cover
8P1 863 273 05S Console Bolt Cover
8P1 863 751 04S Console Bolt Cover
1 off each
£unknown at the minute

In total it has cost £157.82 which excludes the caps for the bolts but includes what I was charged by NHN for AUX In and RNSE Plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: big harty, poli84 and FranA3
Boydie, your a total don. You could make a decent living out of retrofitting this. I know plenty of the guys on here including myself would want this done! Sick of having cup holders in stupid places.

LOL thanks - it is far from perfect to be honest and not something I would like to do on a regular basis due to the passenger side. However, the guide is there to help anyone wanting to change it. It is straight forward enough to do, nothing to really worry about breaking but it is just time consuming to get the cutting right on both sides!

The girlfriends kindly pointed out that it sticks out at the end of the passenger side lol cheers love, I am working on it!!

Boydie, I'll dig outthose part numbers tomorrow morning, the sun's just gone down and the mosquitoes are furious right about now, (I hate working on the car right now, cos as soon as the interior light goes on, they'll fly into the car!)

I'll post pics to make sure I'm looking at the right ones for you.

Keef

That's alot of work! Hats off to ya man!! I guess Audi saves money keeping the brake handle on the same side whether RHD or LHD. We Americans would make a mess of it when drifting or parking trying to avoid our huge McDonald's big gulps!

I have three of the four bolt caps off here... so far there seem to be differences to each...

IMAG0576.jpg

One has a curved face (the others are all flat-faced) and the curved-face part number is:
8P1 863 752 04S-this is the one at the foremost edge of the US passenger (UK driver) side. -It's also marked 'RV' identifying it as a right-hand-side, forward-mounted part. ("Rechts Vorwärts")

One flat one (the other one on the US passenger/UK driver side, but the rearward one by the occupant's knee, not down by their ankle, if you get my description) has the part number:
8P1 863 274 05S and it's marked "RH" meaning 'Right Rear' ("Rechts Hinter")

The other flat one has the part number:
8P1 863 273 05S and it's marked "LH" meaning 'Left Rear' ("Links Hinter")

(that's a letter 's' and not a 'five' at the end of each part number)

The fourth one is a little hard to pry out for some reason... let me go back at it with a smaller screwdriver.

Okay, got it out.

Guess what... -It's a different part number -AGAIN!
8P1 863 751 04S and of course it's marked "LV" meaning 'Left Forward' ("Links Vorwärts")

Hope that helps... and TOP work on a thorough job dcumenting the procedure for others, Boydie!

Note... they're 'keyed' to only go in one way up or the other, so if it doesn't slide in as 'smoove as butta' when putting them in, flip it over and try again.

the last couple I popped back in, I paid attention to keeping the text on the back (hidden) face the right way up, and they both went in first time, so that seems like it might be a useful tip.

Brilliant mate thanks very much!! I will get these ordered tomorrow and return the other ones I bought!

I will update the parts list with prices soon!

Oh and fitted the new handbrake cover:

7c4ee629.jpg

No probs matey!

Handy tip since you've replaced the bandbrake cover: -Slip a bit of 'moleskin' on the bottom front edge of your armrest (if you have an armrest) to avoid the 'scuff' that happens if you heave up on the handbrake while the arm-rest is down.

No probs matey!

Handy tip since you've replaced the bandbrake cover: -Slip a bit of 'moleskin' on the bottom front edge of your armrest (if you have an armrest) to avoid the 'scuff' that happens if you heave up on the handbrake while the arm-rest is down.

Good idea! However, I am in such a habit now of lifting the armrest before lifting the handbrake I probably won't need to bother lol

i dont know if yours is the same Boydie, but once you raise the arm rest a little it won't go down untill you've pulled it all the way up.

i lower the arm rest, pull up the handbrake (slowly) higher up than i ever do which also raises the arm rest, then push down on the arm rest a little. this way, the arm rest is in the lowest place it can be and the handbrake is higher than it goes during normal use - this way whenever i stop the car and put the hand brake on, it doesnt come up high enough to touch the armrest.

god i really need to see someone about my OCD.

but i do like VWAddict's idea with the moleskin too.

Reactions: MartayMcFly
Guys

Updated parts list with the bolt covers for the console - they finally arrived on Saturday and fitted immediately!! Thank goodness they fitted!!

I however for some reason was ordered 3 packets so I have 2 packets here for anyone looking to do the US Console fit, £3 delivered.

000979227EA
2 off
£7.48 each
£14.21 (-5%)

000979023E
1 off
£5.89 each
£5.60 (-5%)

1J0919321
1 off
£0.85 each
£0.81 (-5%)

8P18632416PS
USA Centre Console
1 off
£81.07 each
£72.96 (-10%)

8P0863387G6PS
1 off
£38.05 each
£34.24 (-10%)

8J0035475 Aux in
1 off
£unknown

1 off
£unknown

8P1 989 173 6PS
1 off each
£3

You may need some repair wire or some length of wire to run from the aux in to the head unit but that is about it.

Few things to remember when fitting:

Remove hand brake cover!! - new one costs around £45

Do not be too worried about cutting the drivers side (UK) of the console - a lot does have to come off and about 1-2" is covered by the dead pedal cover!

Under the dead pedal cover there is a metal braket - to the left of the braket is a small ledge of sorts for the console to rest in - please remember that is where the console is inserted and NOT THE OUTSIDE OF IT - I have some small marks on the console due to fitting it to the outside of this braket which in turn scratched it.

The passenger side WILL NOT FIT perfectly and I am still experimenting in how to sort this - mixture of cutting, velcro and cable ties lol but I will keep you posted.

i wonder if there is any way to somehow heat the passenger side, and mould it around a UK centre console in that section, to save cutting it.

It needs cut to be shortened as the US one is too long. Also on our passenger side (UK/EU) there is hard pipe for I think gear cabling which is in the way.

The US console curves inwards (concave) and rests against this.

Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a USB cable that can be fitted instead of the AUX since my Pioneer already has the Aux in the glove box for use of the ipod there.

or maybe someone knows the part number for this one?

2010_audi_a3_tdi_s_line_29_cd_gallery.jpg

Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a USB cable that can be fitted instead of the AUX since my Pioneer already has the Aux in the glove box for use of the ipod there.

or maybe someone knows the part number for this one?

2010_audi_a3_tdi_s_line_29_cd_gallery.jpg

That is actually the part I thought I was getting so was quite surprised to see the one I ended up with!

Getting the one above would save you probably £30 on the retro fit!!

Guys

Updated parts list with the bolt covers for the console - they finally arrived on Saturday and fitted immediately!! Thank goodness they fitted!!

I however for some reason was ordered 3 packets so I have 2 packets here for anyone looking to do the US Console fit, £3 delivered.

000979227EA
2 off
£7.48 each
£14.21 (-5%)

000979023E
1 off
£5.89 each
£5.60 (-5%)

1J0919321
1 off
£0.85 each
£0.81 (-5%)

8P18632416PS
USA Centre Console
1 off
£81.07 each
£72.96 (-10%)

8P0863387G6PS
1 off
£38.05 each
£34.24 (-10%)

8J0035475 Aux in
1 off
£unknown

1 off
£unknown

8P1 989 173 6PS
1 off (4 parts in one bag)
£3

Made a mistake with the last part there - you do not need 4 of them, just one as the bag has 4 parts in it.

Guys

000979227EA
2 off
£7.48 each
£14.21 (-5%)

000979023E
1 off
£5.89 each
£5.60 (-5%)

1J0919321