2.0T FSI - 250BHP

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
In the April 2005 issue of Volkswagen Driver are 2 articles which may be of interest to 2.0T drivers.

One is a detail description of the 2.0T FSI engine and the other entitled 'Must have more' gives details of AmDs new 2.0T tuned Golf GTI which measured on AmDs in-house rolling road gave 254 bhp. and 290 ib ft of torque following a remap of the ECU.

This is of course the same basic engine as used in the A3 2.0T FSI

[ QUOTE ]
254 bhp. and 290 ib ft of torque following a remap of the ECU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, trying putting that through front wheels alone though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

My Leon Cupra R was remaped by AMD and gave 273bhp & 280 lb ft but the low down pick up
is what you realey notice and pull in any gear. I can see a trip to AMD coming up when I have some more miles on the clock

[ QUOTE ]
which measured on AmDs in-house rolling road gave 254 bhp. and 290 ib ft of torque following a remap

[/ QUOTE ]

And thereby lies the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll believe those figures when I see similar on another independant RR plus the fact that they want £850 plus VAT for it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A friend of mine had his golf 1.8t done at AMD and was well chuffed when they showed him the dyno. After driving it home he wasn't so sure, took it to an independent who showed 17bhp less than the AMD plot...

I think AMD's dyno is optimistic, it showed my 210 LCR as having 222bhp as standard, but its the change thats important not the actual reading.

The old 1.8T should give around an extra 50bhp with remap. With the new 2.0T around +40bhp
looks to be the gain, this is understandable given the 1.8T had twin intercoolers bigger turbo and two cat exhausts.

What are all the "other" tuners claiming for the 2.0T? I would be very suprised if it gave the same gains as a 1.8T due to the fact that the 2.0 is a LOW pressure Turbo engine agianst the 1.8 being a HIGH pressure Turbo engine, the difference being in the engines compression ratio, basically the lower the std comp ratio the higher amount of boost can be supplied = greater HP increase

Yes thats true but by a small amount that would be insignifcant around 5% or 2.5bhp in a 40bhp gain. It's proberley why they do it to gain a slight percerved advantage over their competitors

Is it not down to how they measure the transmision losses, i.e. from power at wheels back to power at flywheel ?.

Amd's Dyno has shown an increase from standard on just about everyones car I know that has been on it. But to be fair to AMd it's not just thier's! Most people who have had thier car chipped by them are happy with the reults.

Dyno results are to taken with a pinch of salt. There are too manay variables invlved when doing power runs. The same car dyno'd in the morning will more that likely give a different result on the same dyno in the afternoon, humidity, temperature in the Dyno cell, tyre wear, tyre pressures all have an effect.

But they are excellant for before and after power runs, smoothing out ECU programs etc. Oh and for boasting in the pub about how big your /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif obviously are for driving such a high performance car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But saying that when a manufacturer release engine performance figures they engine must make at least what they claim so it is not un common for engines to make mre than the manufacturer claims - the 2.0Tdi being a case point!

J.

[ QUOTE ]
The main difference is the 2.0T has as 30% more efficient exhaust manifold than the old 1.8T alowing it to produce considerably more power from the same amount of boost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, wouldn't you say the main difference is the direct fuel injection, which lowers the intake charge, thus allowing much higher static C.R.?

But back to AMD's power increase claims... Are their % increases claims valid or not? i.e. can I believe them when they say their (Shrick) cams, miltek and tuning will yield 300bhp (20%) out of my 3.2?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But back to AMD's power increase claims... Are their % increases claims valid or not? i.e. can I believe them when they say their (Shrick) cams, miltek and tuning will yield 300bhp (20%) out of my 3.2?

[/ QUOTE ]

jaminBen - be careful mate. I have ridden a fair few bikes with highly tuned engines on track, and they have all been gutless. New cams will give higher lift and duration allowing your engine (with reprofiled intakes etc) to flow more fuel/air mixture at high revs. This means that 300bhp is well within reach (although I know nothing about actual outputs for AMD jobs).

Unfortunately this also means that your engine will be less efficient at lower revs. Valves which open wider for longer rely on high intake velocities, and at low revs the intake velocities will be so low as to create drop outs (fluffiness) and incomplete burn (poor economy and torque). Unless, that is, you have variable intake lengths, valve timings or valve lifts. Even flaps in the airbox / exhaust can only disguise this effect.

So although you can get 300bhp, you will pay for it lower down the rev range. This is not an issue for race cars / bikes (try 600cc giving 122bhp at the rear wheel!), but can be a total pain in the arif on the road.

Doesn't anyone do a turbo for the 3.2?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think superchips are the actual measured readings on their car not Audi's claimed figures

do u have any pics of your A3 2.0T DSG S line sportback as l am thinking of getting the same car and spec especially open roof system,how does this look/operate ?....just dont know what colour to get !!

Superchips sales emailed the figures to me today. I think there's is a permanent 'open-the-box' mod, not via the serial port.

I'll be waiting for the REVO version - when they figure out how to do it.