AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    imported_CurryMilkShake

2.0tdi with DSG - 1st experience...

My A4 was in at the dealers today, (for the tandem pump recall) and I was very pleased to be led out to a shiny 2.0tdi A3 (3 door) complete with DSG box as my 'loaner'

Yippee, thinks I, this should be fun, after all its 140 compared to my 130, smaller car, have only ever heard good things about the DSG, so was heading for a good day...

Well chaps, at the risk of upsetting what I know are some very happy owners, I havent been that happy to hand a car back for a while...

For me, the DSG was a real letdown. I like manuals, I like autos, I'm very pleased with my multitronic despite the initial 'lag', but the DSG just didnt do it for me.. Pulling away on the uphill slope from the dealers it felt no better than the multitronic at all, and overall I was just frustrated by the amount of time it seemed to 'think' about changing down before doing so..upchanges were smooth, no question..

Now lets be fair - the car in question was an 11,000 miler that I suspect has hard a hard life already despite the low mileage - a number of scratches and dings, were reinforced by a number of rattles, clanks, groans and knocks while going over any surface that wasnt 100% perfect.. it may well be that it wasnt a fair representative.. but I'd be really peed off if that was how my car felt after 11k! That coupled with the much greater road noise than the A4 has, made it a much less than satisfying day, rather than the pleasure of driving a fun new audi! It handled and braked ok, but the normal Audi 'grin' factor just wasnt there for me..

What a shame..

2. # ADS
    ADS

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Re: 2.0tdi with DSG - 1st experience...

Sorry you didn't like it !!

No matter how many miles it should have driven as everyone elses on here. Never driven a multitronic so I can't compare. DSG can be a little slow to change down in 'D' mode but I'm always in manual or 'S' mode. S mode particularly is faster and smoother than any other auto I've driven. And because of no power deficite, I would put it against the manual version any day.

As for cabin noise / road roar then yes I totally agree. The A4 is better isolated from unwanted noises.

It's a shame because 1st impressions count for a lot.

Neutral

Status

Used D mode for the first 5 miles then switched to manual and never used D again as I dont like the way it works in that mode, it's for old gits only and I am one.

Will never go back to manual or a standard auto again. IMO DSG is the poodles privates.

1st Gear

Status

complaining about changing DOWN speed, in D mode? strange... why would that matter? if you're in D mode, then you're not after performance enhancing revs or speed, so D mode makes it as economical as it can... other than the fact it will learn yourt driving style using the last (approx) 10 minutes of driving as a guide.

D is for when you don't care what the engine does... manual mode and S are for when it matters [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

imported_CurryMilkShake

A quick clarification - like so many here have said, i also stopped using D about half a mile into the first journey! the changing down comment was relating to the tiptronic & paddles, just seemed to be more of a delay than I was expecting..

Again being honest, still better than most of the autos Ive had!

Its a shame that a true side by side comparison of the DSG vs Multitronic cant be made - I understand DSG only available on transverse engines, Multi on longitudinal, but correct me if Im wrong!

As long as we're all pleased with what we have, theres no prob - but I think this proves that test drives are essential for forming a valid opinion! Others may have good advice, but Its a bit like high end high fi - once pointed in the right direction there are lots of good makes, Naim, Linn etc etc, all of them highly capable of quality reproduction - but the BEST one is the one you personally prefer the sound of, regardless of it's technical specs!

:-)

imported_CurryMilkShake

Ive just re-read that post - what a pompous ass I sound!!!

(Hangs head in shame...) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    A quick clarification - like so many here have said, i also stopped using D about half a mile into the first journey! the changing down comment was relating to the tiptronic & paddles, just seemed to be more of a delay than I was expecting..

Again being honest, still better than most of the autos Ive had!

Its a shame that a true side by side comparison of the DSG vs Multitronic cant be made - I understand DSG only available on transverse engines, Multi on longitudinal, but correct me if Im wrong!

As long as we're all pleased with what we have, theres no prob - but I think this proves that test drives are essential for forming a valid opinion! Others may have good advice, but Its a bit like high end high fi - once pointed in the right direction there are lots of good makes, Naim, Linn etc etc, all of them highly capable of quality reproduction - but the BEST one is the one you personally prefer the sound of, regardless of it's technical specs!

:-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the previous users drove it too carefully, as the DSG box's ecu does learn and modify shift patterns to suit, dunno other than that.

Yes, the DSG has only been engineered for transverse layout so far.

And yes if we all liked the same thing it would be a dull world wouln't it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

I went from a Multitronic A4 to the DSG A3 and I agree with what you say above, but, after you have done a few hunfred miles it completely adapts to your driving style.
    You can reset it and then it will learn your style far quicker, but you need to give it a fair few miles still.

I have to say out of all the auto boxes I think it is the best I have driven, that includes the new bmw, audi and merc boxes.
    In fact I have been thinking about a 3.0 multitronic cab and am worried about going back to the multitronic, but I did have it with diesel before which is not the best combo.

And I can't believe you like Linn and Naim! well I may let you off the Linn but Naim! leaves me out of breathe! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]