Just ordered a new A3 Sportback

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well I've decided that I'm not going to wait for the new style A3 especially as it seems the new Sportback version will not be available until 2013. So I've just ordered an A3 Sportback SE in Silver with a Light Grey interior, 2.0TDI - 170 s-tronic with around 4.5k worth of options. Delivery should be late February/early March 2012 which will be just right as my existing A3 will be three years old in April 2012. Got a good trade-in value on my existing A3, although I know a local second-hand car dealer who has just purchased my wife's Polo for a better price that the dealer was offering when she bought a new A1, is interested as well. I also got a 9% discount on the new one.

Reactions: TurGe
Congrats mate...hope you enjoy it!

Got my order confirmation through on Sat for my new S3 and they said estimated delivery 20th Feb...so at least they're showing some sort of consistency for once!

so what price did you pay? what options you go for?
if me ok to ask that is :thumbsup:

Can't believe you've had your a3 that long. I remember when you were weighing up getting another 170 or 140 and then remapping it. Time flies!!

Nice one Dave, think you've taken the best route given your options. Let the countdown begin! Worst of winter should be out of the way too.

so what price did you pay? what options you go for?
if me ok to ask that is :thumbsup:

I don't you asking - here is the full spec of the order...

2011 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 SE
A3 Sportback SE - Ice Silver/Light Grey

21,770​
6-speed S-tronic

1,480​

Metallic paint - Ice Silver metallic

510​
17 x 7.5J 16-spoke alloys - 225/45 tyres

560​
Comfort package - comprising

510​
- Acoustic parking system - rear only

-​
- Cruise control

-​
- Light+Rain sensor package

-​
Symphony radio

495​
Interior light pack

150​
Luggage pack

55​
Dual-zone electronic climate control

385​
No smoking package
Reversible load floor mat

50​
Through-load system

180​
Electric driver's seat

315​
Electric lumbar support

195​
Adaptive Xenon headlights

1020​
Door mirrors - folding

125​
Tyre pressure loss indicator

75​

4,625.00​

less discount on new car

-9.0%​

-2,508.75​
Delivery and Number plates

589.27​

First registration fee

55​
12 months Road Fund Licence

55.00​
total price

trade-in value of existing A3

-12,000.00​
amount to change

great spec and choice of options. £12k for the trade-in was it a good price? i mean what was your old A3? i'm think of changing my A3 SB but unsure to go for another SB or go for the new 3 door. thanks the head up on the prices btw :salute:

great spec and choice of options. £12k for the trade-in was it a good price? i mean what was your old A3? i'm think of changing my A3 SB but unsure to go for another SB or go for the new 3 door. thanks the head up on the prices btw :salute:

The £12,000 trade was the top book price for my particular 2009 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE S-tronic. You never get your money back on the extras but it does make the car more desirable and therefore easier for the dealer to sell and therefore they are happy to give the top book price. Also I like my car to have the spec I want even if I don't get the price of the options back.

Audi will just send that straight to auction I should think.

I work for Mazda and anything that comes in thats older than 3 years/average mileage that isn't a bargain gets underwritten and sent out, if they use CAP for the price that is.

Audi will just send that straight to auction I should think.

I work for Mazda and anything that comes in thats older than 3 years/average mileage that isn't a bargain gets underwritten and sent out, if they use CAP for the price that is.

They may well do, but in the past the have sold my trade-in cars in their second-hand car area. Also I have a small second-hand car dealer just down the road who has said he would be interested in giving me a price nearer the time. He has just bought my wife's three year old Polo for cash for more than the dealer offered in part exchange against a new A1 and he sold it in two days.

Wow! Well done him!

It's really worth doing your shopping, (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!) because the price dealers offer you is criminal 90% of the time.

Looks like a sweet spec, nice work :)

Sounds like a good trade price to me. I'd imagine Audi will sell it themselves. In my experience Audi, BMW etc generally sell cars at that age with mileage below 60k or there abouts as long as they have full dealer history. They put them through their AUC at a premium.

To put your trade in price into perspective. I know a guy that just traded a 2008 320d SE with average mileage for TT and he only got £8K for it. I think the Audi dealership are probably still laughing about that one.

I have just had a call from my dealer to say my Sportback has now been built.

Not long to go then Dave, less than two weeks for shipping, PDI etc?

Get ready for your last new 8P!! You've probably had the most new A3's of anyone I know on here.

Not long to go then Dave, less than two weeks for shipping, PDI etc?

Get ready for your last new 8P!! You've probably had the most new A3's of anyone I know on here.

Possibly. So far it's four 8Ls in 7.2 years and 64,011 miles and three 8Ps in 7.6 years and 104,820 miles and every one has been different in some way. 3-door, Sportback, petrol, diesel, manual, s-tronic, face-lift and non-facelift. The common factors are they have all be A3s and all been Silver.

I have just been told by my dealer that my car is now at Emden waiting to be loaded and it will almost certainly be brought to the UK over the weekend or on Monday. It will arrive in the UK at the car facility at Grimsby docks which I have long said I would go and have at look at. I feel a trip to Grimsby coming on for Sunday or Monday. Anyone would thing this is my first new car!!!

I have just been told by my dealer that my car is now at Emden waiting to be loaded and it will almost certainly be brought to the UK over the weekend or on Monday. It will arrive in the UK at the car facility at Grimsby docks which I have long said I would go and have at look at. I feel a trip to Grimsby coming on for Sunday or Monday. Anyone would thing this is my first new car!!!

I wouldn't be so sure mate. My Golf GTI has been released for shipping at Emden since 10/02/2012 and it's still there today. Unless someone's forgot to scan it out of Emden ........ :(

I know people have been facing similar delays on VW forums.

Fortunately, VW have agreed to give me a hire car from 25th Feb onwards which is when my A3 is going to its new owner.

I sincerely hope your car is shipped over the weekend though. I would be very interested to know, please keep us updated.

I wouldn't be so sure mate. My Golf GTI has been released for shipping at Emden since 10/02/2012 and it's still there today. Unless someone's forgot to scan it out of Emden ........ :(

I know people have been facing similar delays on VW forums.

Fortunately, VW have agreed to give me a hire car from 25th Feb onwards which is when my A3 is going to its new owner.

I sincerely hope your car is shipped over the weekend though. I would be very interested to know, please keep us updated.

To be honest I'm not that bothered when it arrives as I still have a nice A3 to drive anyway. Even though I have a personal plate my dealer still says a March 2012 car will be worth a little more than a February 2012 when I come to sell it or trade-in in three years time. I will keep you posted.

I'm going to Grimsby tomorrow anyway as one of the ships that bring the cars from Emden, the Main Highway, is due in at 15:00 and it will be nice to see it dock and unload. The Main Highway or one of it's sister ships the EMS Highway are crossing between Emden and Grimsby with one of them arriving every day at the moment. No doubt lots of cars ordered for 1 March.

To be honest I'm not that bothered when it arrives as I still have a nice A3 to drive anyway. Even though I have a personal plate my dealer still says a March 2012 car will be worth a little more than a February 2012 when I come to sell it or trade-in in three years time. I will keep you posted.

I'm going to Grimsby tomorrow anyway as one of the ships that bring the cars from Emden, the Main Highway, is due in at 15:00 and it will be nice to see it dock and unload. The Main Highway or one of it's sister ships the EMS Highway are crossing between Emden and Grimsby with one of them arriving every day at the moment. No doubt lots of cars ordered for 1 March.

I've been watching the ships go forwards and back. Let me know if you happen to see a white GTI being unloaded. :)

I've been watching the ships go forwards and back. Let me know if you happen to see a white GTI being unloaded. :)
There are so many cars at the Grimsby holding area it would be impossible to pick out any particular car, especially as they all the the white transit covers on. I did visit Grimsby today and saw the MAIN HIGHWAY arrive. It's a big ship!! I have included one of the photos I took just as it was starting to turn round in it's own length to back up the unloading area.

MAIN HIGHWAY-1024-05.JPG

Scott. For your information I called in to my dealers as I passing this morning to show the young lady who deals with admin for my salesman, as she had said she would like to see the photographs I'd taken at Grimsby. She confirmed that my A3 was listed as still being at Emden. There must a lot of VAG cars at Emden at the moment because there is a ship load (approx 800) arriving at Grimsby every day at the moment.

Hi Dave. I had a call this morning to say my car has now arrived in the UK, so I think it may have been on the MAIN HIGHWAY which you saw come in. That means it's taken 10 days from being released from shipping to being in the UK, so you can probably use that to judge when yours might be in UK. Thanks for keeping me updated, and good luck with your new car.

Cheers,
Scott

I've also just had a phone call from my dealer to say my A3 has arrived in the UK. Looks like it left Emden at 04:24 on 21 February on the EMS Highway and arrived in Grimsby at 05:45 on the 22 February. It seems that the is at least one ship a day from Emden to Grimsby at the moment. I've not seen any departures going to either Sheerness or Tyne so perhaps everything is coming in through Grimsby at the moment.

So mine was produced on 14 February and arrived at Emden on 16 February and in the UK on 22 February - 8 days total. Perhaps Audi get priority!!

I've also just had a phone call from my dealer to say my A3 has arrived in the UK. Looks like it left Emden at 04:24 on 21 February on the EMS Highway and arrived in Grimsby at 05:45 on the 22 February. It seems that the is at least one ship a day from Emden to Grimsby at the moment. I've not seen any departures going to either Sheerness or Tyne so perhaps everything is coming in through Grimsby at the moment.

So mine was produced on 14 February and arrived at Emden on 16 February and in the UK on 22 February - 8 days total. Perhaps Audi get priority!!

It does seem that Audi get priority!!! Or each brand is allowed an equal percentage and Audi have sold less cars :p lol

Glad your car is in UK. I'll be interested to know when it gets to your dealer as mine is still at Grimsby. I think there might be ships going to Sheerness still, don't know if they go from Grimsby though

Well my car has arrived at the dealers and I'm collecting it tomorrow afternoon - Something for the weekend sir! for those of you who are old enough to remember.

Total delivery time was 17 weeks from order to build - 1 week from build to arriving in the UK and 1 week to get from Grimsby to the dealer, so a total of 19 weeks. I do hope it's right.