Removing the cowl under the front wipers

1inchpunch

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the black plastic cowl that runs along the bottom of the windscreen? Whipped the wiper arms off at the weekend and had a bit of a tug at it but couldn't see how it would come off near the windscreen as it's pretty flush fitting and last thing I want is a leak in this area.

I'm guessing anyone that's replaced the washer jets or had to get at the suspension top mount bolts will have removed it.

Reactions: Missy T
i did this on farhans one on saturday when installing his bi-xenons...

what you need to do is kind of lift the scuttle panel up vertically away from the windscreen... it sometimes helps to give it a light little wiggle to get it free a bit...
start at the edges but remember not to pull too hard otherwise you might break it in the corners.

Also DO NOT thump it when you are re fitting as you will need a new windscreen.

So just pull it as about 90degrees to the angle of the windscreen? Someone said to lube it up to get it back in or do it on a warm day...... not much chance of one of those for a good 6 months now.

i just lift it straight up towards the sky but i wiggle at it slowly and it comes free after a bit... as for re fitting i always just 'tap' it back in once i have made sure it is sitting properly on the groove... a bit of lube doesnt sound like a bad idea as once its in it just needs to stay in place. have fun fitting those wiper arms back in place :)

If you dont want anything to break i recommend two people helping as when me and ash did it he mentioned that the corner edges could break.

We managed to get the scuttle panel off really easy in the end we kind of lifter it up from the engine bay side and wiggled it out slowly. We both worked on each side so it came off cleanly, Then moved it across got one side out from under the bonnet and it was off.

When fitting it back we did the same we sat the grooved part under the windscreen and locked it back into place :)

If you dont want anything to break i recommend two people helping as when me and ash did it he mentioned that the corner edges could break.

We managed to get the scuttle panel off really easy in the end we kind of lifter it up from the engine bay side and wiggled it out slowly. We both worked on each side so it came off cleanly, Then moved it across got one side out from under the bonnet and it was off.

When fitting it back we did the same we sat the grooved part under the windscreen and locked it back into place :)[/QUOTE is this for A3 8p ?