Help with auto lights please.

BBlackburn

Reaction score
Hi I changed the light switch for my car to the newer chrome style then a thread was posted about the auto lights, I have the problem now where my lights stay on all the time and also I realised my fog lights won't come on due to this. So I changed the switch back to the original one and still the same thing is happening now, does anyone know what it can be just simple coding or something else? Need to get it sorted asap as need to get it in for an MOT.
Thanks guys any help is much appreciated.

if you have put the original light switch back in then it might just be a case of clearing errors if any...
i posted up the issue with the Auto lights but it just seemed to work after i cleared errors and recoded the code i already had... for some reason it decided that it now likes the switch and carried on working... however yesterday i put in the facelift switch from a TT and that is also working perfectly.

Thanks for the help, is there anyone near Epsom surrey who can clear any error codes for me? Just need to get this sorted.

If you can't get anyone to help you out in clearing any error codes you have, it might be worth disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes as this might clear the codes for you. I wouldn't recommend this if you had anything other than a simple light problem that wasn't there before you tried out your new switch, but since the codes don't relate to how your car is running, it might solve the problem quickly so you can get your MOT done and you can sort your new switch out when you're ready. :)

Okay thanks paullie I'll give that a try yeah everything else is working fine apart from the switch just isnt operating. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it.

Codes dont clear from battery disconnect, errors may/may not, but not codes.

Epsom bit far from me, but I'm in East Sussex tomorrow.

Codes dont clear from battery disconnect, errors may/may not, but not codes.

Epsom bit far from me, but I'm in East Sussex tomorrow.

Hmm thanks Nigel. I wasn't sure how it worked on Audis TBH, ..was just a thought as no one had replied :) x

Hey no worries, good of you to help.

I dont see that clearing error codes will help ?

I dont see that clearing error codes will help ?
i didnt think so either but on friday when i got mine working i logged onto the CE with VCDS and checked for errors and ha a couple of bulb out warnings. i then changed the coding by deactivating the rain and light sensor and then changing the bi-xenon setup to something else random and saved it and the coding was accepted. i straight away went back in and recoded the rain and light sensor and set the bi-xenon back to to the right one (in my case bi-xenon with separate drl) and then saved that.
then i flicked the light switch a couple times from off to auto and the headlight (xenon) stopped coming in the daylight. it makes no sense how it suddenly decided to work after a couple months of me trying to get this right but it has been working perfectly since friday. :blink:

So we are sure here it is an error on the coding side of things just to narrow it down? NHN if you could pm me your number I might be able to find you some point this week I'm on the road all week might be able to catch up with you.
Thanks

So we are sure here it is an error on the coding side of things just to narrow it down? NHN if you could pm me your number I might be able to find you some point this week I'm on the road all week might be able to catch up with you.
Thanks

No do not make that assumption... your error came up when you plugged in the new facelift light switch, not for any other error... bare in mind that i have retrofitted bi-xenon headlights and auto lights/auto wipers pack onto my car so in my case errors and coding has alot to do with it.

coding or fault clearing is where i would start with your car as you did not rewire anything just simply changed a light switch so that looks to be the most sensible option.

just out of interest can you post up a pic of the light switch you originally had on the car and the facelift switch you were trying to fit.