Fuel consumption 2.0T Quatttro

I

imported_Skywalker

Had my car just over a week now, done 850 miles in it (including a trip to North Yorkshire with the Mrs and got engaged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif).

Love the car nearly as much as her and the gadgets are fantastic!

I'm not that bothered by the fuel consumption cost as work pays but i am disappointed. My old 1.8TQ used to return 30-31mpg on a motorway run. I drove 170 miles and had cruise control set at 80mph for much of the way and it averaged 27mpg.

Is this likely to improve once the engine beds in? Anyone else found the same thing?

I have to admit I would normally use Optimax but had to stop off for some random petrol (garage was called Spot On or something like that) as i was running on vapour! This might have something to do with it.

Hi mate,

I do most of my driving around town and the DIS is showing 26.3mpg which isn't bad considering I have lead feet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Not had a chance to give it a really good run yet unfortunately...

Hi Booster

Are you going by the trip computer or a brim to brim measurement?
My trip is showing 30 – 32 on shortish trips but from past experience with trip computers they can be 2 mpg or so out compared with a brim to brim measurement.
As always things will improve as the car loosens up, my LCR would regularly give mid 30’s once it was run in.

Booster,

You may find from now on it will improve quite noticeably. I always find that a new car needs a long run to help bed it in. It cetainly made a big difference to my last two cars. Also I found on my last car Golf PD150 that using cruise does not give the best mpg. I think this is that it brakes going down a hill and then extra gas going up a hill, whereas driving manually you may gain a few miles / lose a few miles on the speedo.

Hope this makes sense !

I am using the DIS so am probably getting less in reality!!

Will keep an eye on it.

As a side issue, what tyres did everyone get? I got Pirelli P Zero Rossos which seem ok but traction control light is on more than I would like.

I am up to around 750 milles on my 2.0T. My average for the whole period has been around 27 mpg. On the M4 out side of peak times I can get up to 32 mpg and around town typically 20-25 depending on just how much lead in my foot I wake up with... I also find it takes about £40 to fill up with regular petrol. Should I be using 97 octane instead of 95?!? What do you guys use?

Michelins in experience are pretty good but wears out faster and cost loads more to replace. I had those on a Peugeot 306 XSI long ago, only 185 section tyres but cost about 130 each (about 8 years ago). Then Michelin on a BMW 330 Sport. 255 section on the rears set me back 260 each (Kwik Fit wanted about 300) - this was about three years ago.

I've got 225 40 18 ZR Michelins and they seem to stick pretty well. Eagle F1's used to be my tyre of choice but the Michi's were already fitted.

Don't care how much they cost as I'm on fixed cost servicing.

[ QUOTE ]

I've got P-zero's as well and doubt they will last very long...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think you'll struggle to get near 15k out of a front set, as they are a bit soft.

E’m think I’ll rotate so they wear out equally and change to Bridgestone RE050’s

[ QUOTE ]
nope, M27, M3, B3349, A33, M4....Slough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good going. Used to be able to get this with golf pd150 if really careful, but never had above 55 with the A3.

But saying that, the average over 6000 miles is the same at 44.5mpg.

So it seems that I don't get the highs but don't get the lows either.

[ QUOTE ]
I am up to around 750 milles on my 2.0T. My average for the whole period has been around 27 mpg. On the M4 out side of peak times I can get up to 32 mpg and around town typically 20-25 depending on just how much lead in my foot I wake up with... I also find it takes about £40 to fill up with regular petrol. Should I be using 97 octane instead of 95?!? What do you guys use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always use Optimax or super if I can't get to a Shell station. If you read the manual it does say that you will experience a "minimal" drop in performance if 95 octane fuel is used.

Mines doing great, 5900 miles on the clock and averaged around 48mpg on a tank full, and I don't hang around. Plus its a mixtured of town and country roads not often motorways so thats great for me.

yeah, I'm not sure how much longer I can maintain this sort of mpg, foot is starting to feel a bit heavy.
Might have to give it a bit of a kicking on the way home. Shame though, current prediction for this tank is just over 720 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the hinged pedal is just too light to be honest... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Petrol light came on this morning - have done just over 300 miles in the first tank - not sure what the dealers put in it tho. Probably some Home Brew petrol.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I'm not sure how much longer I can maintain this sort of mpg, foot is starting to feel a bit heavy.
Might have to give it a bit of a kicking on the way home. Shame though, current prediction for this tank is just over 720 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheeeet - I thought I was doing well with 540 miles from a tank. I can see this turning into a very sad competition... if anyone sees a Lava Grey Sportback doing 50 on the M1 next week, don't hassle me, I'm on a mission!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheeeet - I thought I was doing well with 540 miles from a tank. I can see this turning into a very sad competition... if anyone sees a Lava Grey Sportback doing 50 on the M1 next week, don't hassle me, I'm on a mission!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll not hassle you, more like spin you around on the way past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I've never had more than 530 ish out of a full tank.

It's starting to improve!
My car is now up to 26mpg average from new. Going to London next week so will check out the average for the whole journey.

Ta very much TDi-line!!

Done 1k miles now, engine is definitely loosening up nicely! Could never go back to a non satnav car now!!

[ QUOTE ]
Could never go back to a non satnav car now!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell em about it, and the RNS-E Nav is the best sounding OEM head unit I have heard, superb!

I was looking at the files on the Nav disc earlier to see if I could edit the colours of the menus, so it is red when you select cd/radio/sd card etc. rather than orange, and the file that loads the software is looking for an Alpine XXX-XXX unit, so I guess that would explain why the pre amp is pretty good.

Weren't we talking about fuel consumption?

Mine did 35.9mpg on this monday's morning run from Manchester to Dartford. (7.30-11am)

Av speed 59mph, the odd burst of 120, usually about 70 ish. A/C on ECON seems to give about +1 or 2 mpg. DSG in auto also saves 2-3mpg, especially in busy traffic.

However, since then on short runs from hotel to work then between local work sites during the day it is currently averaging 13.2 mpg. not too clever.

[ QUOTE ]
Weren't we talking about fuel consumption?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, consider me reprimanded! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, 3 door....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What colour is that?

(inside and out)

Avus outside

Black inside

(don't think the flash helps - the inside is a lot darker than it looks in the pics)