Strange starting issue - But no apparent coolant loss?

Wabby

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Following on from my first thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/133307-possible-head-gasket-cracked-head-problem.html

I have had the coolant system filled with coolant now for 14 days. In those 14 days I have lost NO coolant whatsoever. Not a drop.

The vehicle, is, however, still difficult to start when cold, and when it finally starts, there is a puff of smoke out of the rear (on occasions, but not ALL the time).

I was assuming it was loosing a header tank of coolant every two months, as I have had it two months and it was low when changing the ECT - but this could have been low when I bought it and overlooked.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what the problem could be:
  • Car is difficult to start when cold. It will turn over about 8-10 times before firing. When hot it will turn over 2-3 times before firing, but most of the time when hot will start on the button
  • Coolant is not being lost, nor is any oil (1000 miles and 14 days since last check, and at the exact same level for both)
Other than the difficulty to start, the car runs lovely, drive great and has no other faults.

I have access to VAG-COM if I need to check/change any values within the ECU itself.

I can post videos of the vehicle starting when cold and warm if this will help anybody help me diagnose :)

Cheers

OK.

So I just finally got my hands on ELSAWIN, and loaded that **** up!

First hit I get is:

Cold engine difficult to start, misfiring and white smoke. The engine has no coolant loss.

Sounds familiar!

Resolution seems to be: To locate the cause of the complaint remove the plug from the coolant temperature sender (G62). If the cold engine starts correctly, update the engine control unit.
Will try starting this bad boy with it disconnected now. See what happens.

OK.

So left overnight and went to start this morning with the ECT disconnected; and guess what? That motherf00ker starter straight up on the button.

So according to ELSAWIN I need a software update from AUDI to 9883 or something.

What is AUDI going to charge me to perform this software update? I have checked and my engine/gearbox/body/ecu code and version match the affected within ELSAWIN.

Also, if I was to get it remapped by somebody, maybe the remap would have version 9883 or later so that would effectively kill two birds with one stone?

Or maybe somebody knows a way I can change these cold start values in VAGCOM?

Gracias