2.0TDI - Anyone had a remap ?

• Thread starter imported_Spin140
  • Start date
I

imported_Spin140

Had my car 3 weeks now and am very pleased in general but power is obviously down on my previous car (Chipped 150PD) - Has anyone on here had a re-map yet ?

Keep 'em coming marriedblonde /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Spin140 we only need another 2 names to get the group buy going (out of ten in total). You get the best part of £200 of the full price through this method.

You know it makes sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Only one tiny problem there Cheechy. I'm pretty sure Spin140 is the same as Spin 150PD on UK-mkiv, and he's already on the Superchips list (almost 3 times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)! Or can we persuade you to defect?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am going to give them a bell tomorrow regarding DSG warranty, or rather lack of, to see exactly what is not covered.

Having said that I am selling my car, but I think I will regret it as it is a superb motor.

ive heard of 198 BHP from a 140 PD engine with suttle mods.

its a great engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to give them a bell tomorrow regarding DSG warranty, or rather lack of, to see exactly what is not covered.

Having said that I am selling my car, but I think I will regret it as it is a superb motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone know what the torque on the 2.0 TDI ? compares to the Torque on the 3.2 V6 ?

ive heard from my dealer that a few dsg gearboxes have been rebiult which have been from 3.2 v6 owners playing with launch control too much.

I think both are 320NM. The limit for the box is between 350 and 400, I think. A bit too close for comfort, if you ask me.

[ QUOTE ]
Only one tiny problem there Cheechy. I'm pretty sure Spin140 is the same as Spin 150PD on UK-mkiv, and he's already on the Superchips list (almost 3 times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)! Or can we persuade you to defect?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ah!

Booooooo!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Can you tell I'm getting desperate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Max. torque, lbs. ft(Nm) at rpm 236(320)/1750-2500

2.0tdi
Max. torque, lbs. ft(Nm) at rpm 236(320)/2500-3000

I beleive the DSG can handle around 360ft(Nm) before any problems arise, at what point you have to start really worring I don't know.

You and me both!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif

I going to give RSD a call tomorrow and also ask them about a Milltek cat-back and some springs.

G - 260lbf is about 350NM. I doubt it's 360lbf, as that's about 490nm and should not be a problem for tuners.

Karcsi - you could always ask about the price for 8 as opposed to 10?

Doesn't look like we're going to get 10 now but the impression Foxy gace was that the price may still be cheaper with a few of us together?

Sorry to hijack the thread btw!

Am reading this thread with interest as I would like chip / re map.

However, as yet to even order car (think will be 2.0TDI) suspect should not ask for my name to be number 9 on list !

Sorry, would have liked to be included on this !

Hope you get same price for 8 people as you would for 10.

Will continue to watch list & see what you all think of upgrade !

Had the oettinger re-map on mine last July. Very happy with it, makes a massive difference, very smooth and very quick. Going to go to a rolling road soon see how much BHP and lb/ft it is producing. Well worth the money especially if there is a group buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Im sure a Remapped 2.0 TDI would give my 3.2 V6 one hell of a run for its money !

I have a 1.9 TDi Caddy van producing 220 LBS at 2000 RPM and its a right little rocket ship /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Those Tdi engines are the best out there.

Keep us informed a3derv1 mate will be interesting to see the extra power, as with other re maps on the TDI theres always MAssive increases, unlike the Non Turbos ( 3.2 ) where a re-map does not really change much .

I bought a digital tuning box for my A3 and just installed it, and it makes a hell of a difference.
As soon as they sort out a remap without having to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif around with the ecu too much I will go for it.

I think the big thing everyone worries about is whether they are really going to notice a difference, well let me just say it isn't subtle, it completely transforms the car. I had our ML re mapped and our 320d, both with superb results.

Well it says it takes the torque to 360, so should be ok, the tuners will take it to around 400 which may cause problems so you have to make sure you can go with someone who can limit the torque.
If this is 360 torque then I would be more than happy to get the same but out of a proper remap.
With the DSG I would also go with superchips or amd or otteinger as they seem to have a smoother power band that the others and this would probabluy be safer, I would not want to loads of torque suddenly kicking in hard with the DSG box.

Thanks for the replies Guys, Yes I am the same Spin from MKivs-Forum who is considering the S/Chip & RSD group buy.

Broadmarsh kindly responded to a pm about his superchipped car and I am still leaning towards this route as this offers great value for money for the performance benefits they are offering.

A3 2.0TDI - after 3 weeks of ownership my conclusion is ...great car, great engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Depends on how you drive the car. My previous car (a PD 115 Bora) ended up being around the same. Used more fuel when you booted it but used less when you changed up earlier with the extra torque available........

My previous car a Golf 150PD was superchipped, cant say I noticed a reduction in mpg, still averaged 43mpg with mixed driving but on long journeys this greatly increased. What I did notice was a massive improvement in power & driveability /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It seems like Forge Motorsport are getting in on the act. According to their site they are neally ready to release OBD tuning on the 2.0ltr Diesel engine for £500.

"Due shortly" and all the other "hopeful" phrases means "we must keep the punters guessing and it also makes us look professional along with the other tuners.

If they ever crack the code and it is a big if, then your car is more at risk from the thieves.

[ QUOTE ]
If they ever crack the code and it is a big if, then your car is more at risk from the thieves.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does someone 'cracking' the code to enable OBD tuning make it any more susceptible to thieves ?. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I assume that the ECU coding is part of the immobiliser that prevents a thief starting the car without a key. If the code is cracked, that security is gone.

What's the deal with copyright etc.? Are tuners allowed to fiddle around with the ECU and then produce a product based on cracking a security feature? How is this different from computer hacking?

I have read something similar here in the UK, just can't do it via the obd port. although I can't find the article where I read that!!! Plus Broadmarsh has actually had his car chipped and watched the procedure.

They'll get there.

J.

Seems strange though, because surely they 'download' it through the obd port to e-mail it to germany no ?.

SimoP and Japper inferred from what SimoP had been told that the software was downloaded from the car.

Probably what the company chappie meant was that the software is downloaded from the ECU, after the ECU has been removed from the car.

[ QUOTE ]
SimoP and Japper inferred from what SimoP had been told that the software was downloaded from the car.

Probably what the company chappie meant was that the software is downloaded from the ECU, after the ECU has been removed from the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't infer, more asked the question from simonp !

[ QUOTE ]

Broadmarsh,

I dont think anyone in this thread has said you can upload the new code through the OBD port but what has been said in another thread some where else on another forum is that superchips and RSD are now able to upload the code without opening up the ECU but it does need the ECU to be removed from the car.

It is only a matter of time before they do crack the OBD port though.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are going round in circles! The dealers still cannot bypass the security inside the ecu, so they have to remove it from the car to get inside it, to attach a harness to the soldered connections on the circuit board that misses out the security part of it, but has direct access to the chip that holds the code that needs flashing. Remember I watched it and had it explained so I fully understand what is going on. Sorry if I am being pedantic. But these are the facts.

If they were able to get past the security inside the ecu without removing the 4 bolts on the cover, then they would not have to remove it from the car, and they would most probably be able to use the OBD port to carry out the flashing process. Note. The hat is still next to me ready for eating. Please prove me wrong!

[ QUOTE ]

The dealers still cannot bypass the security inside the ecu, so they have to remove it from the car to get inside it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Broadmarsh,

I know what your saying and i'm sure you know what your talking about with regards to superchips. But you said or implied that if it could be done via OBD port then Superchips would do it this way. I'm not sure I agree on this point as Superchips have always 'chipped' the cars like you say and Revo, AMD and APR have always done it the OBD port waY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Agree S/chips do remap alot of cars via the mentioned procedure but they also utilise the OBD port where possible, my MKiv Golf was 'chipped' in this way. I think the discussion thread should now be renamed " OBD remapping for 2.0tdi, Is it possible ?" to which we all now know the answer - No, not at the moment but broadmarsh has a hat to eat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regardless of how it is done, as long as it provides a reliable & smooth power gain perhaps we should leave the process to the experts, too much info can be enlightening but scary !

I think the reason that a lot of people are holding out for Revo etc. to 'chip' their car the OBD2 method, is the facility with the dongle to change it back to stock when going in for a service.

[ QUOTE ]
Agree S/chips do remap alot of cars via the mentioned procedure but they also utilise the OBD port where possible, my MKiv Golf was 'chipped' in this way. I think the discussion thread should now be renamed " OBD remapping for 2.0tdi, Is it possible ?" to which we all now know the answer - No, not at the moment but broadmarsh has a hat to eat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regardless of how it is done, as long as it provides a reliable & smooth power gain perhaps we should leave the process to the experts, too much info can be enlightening but scary !

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree entirely, there is a lot of misinformation going round and a lot of misunderstanding by people who have not experienced the process of remapping or rechipping.

It is a straw hat and it wil be a long time before I have to dust it off! Believe me I know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Hmmm well they said it couldn't be done on the previous version of the A3 and it's sister the mkIV golf but they cracked it years ago so it is only a matter of time.

Oh and just because one companie chips a car a certain way doesn't mean thats the only way - theres more than one way to skin a cat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

J.