Porsche Fitment Tyres on S3???

S3RYE

Interior Next!!
Reaction score
Hi Peoples,

Basically just had two new front tyres put on the S3. I told my guy to order Michelin PS2 225/40/18's for me. Basically i turned up, didnt even look at the tyres and once they were fitted i decided to have a look. It turns out they ARE Michelin PS2 22/40/18 but a (N3) model which is porsche fitment.

Now ive looked over the tyres and fortunately still have NORMAL PS2's on the rear to draw a comparison. the only things i can see that are different are....

Speed rating is 88Y(N3) vs 92Y(normal)
Max load is 530KG (N3) vs 630KG (normal)

I would have thought a Porsche tyre would have a higher speed rating :wacko: i can understand why the max load may be less as these are clearly fronts from a Porsche which are all Rear engine RWD. But then the PS2 (non porsche) is also designed for many different weight/powered cars so may well have been over engineered in terms of being on the S3.

Basically should i be going back to have a moan up or are they actually better for my car? or is it just the name Porsche thats making me think its cool but its not really :laugh:

i know this is long winded and all, tried to keep it short and sweet.

any help is appreciated!!

Last edited:
It will make little odds. They are Porsche rated so if you fitted N3 tyres to your Porsche the car should perform as Porsche intended. There will be no difference apart from maybe sidewall stiffness due to the load rating.

The speed ratings are the same (rated to 186mph), it's only load rating that is different. But as said they will be fine.

Thanks guy. Also I made a typo. Max load on the N3 is 560KG not 530KG.

This is a front Porsche tyre, the car with no engine over the front wheels, the rears will be different due to the rear or mid-engined layout. They will probably be ok, but the tyres Porsche specify are tuned to the car so different front to back, and your original tyres look like they were "higher" specification load-wise.

This is a front Porsche tyre, the car with no engine over the front wheels, the rears will be different due to the rear or mid-engined layout. They will probably be ok, but the tyres Porsche specify are tuned to the car so different front to back, and your original tyres look like they were "higher" specification load-wise.

youve pointed out everything i stated in the first post. Im looking for an answer as to whether they are ok to use.

thanks

I've got a Boxster myself and have done a lot of research on N rated tyres before buying my first set.
The N rating basically means that they have been approved by Porsche to meet all their specs. You can often buy an N and a non-N rated tyre of exactly the same make and model. According to Porsche customer service in Reading, the N rated tyres will be 'pre-scrubbed' so that the tyre won't have such a long break-in period before it has it's full level of grip. I'm sure you've noticed new tyres take a few miles of driving before they perform as they should, but apparently the N rated tyres should be good straight out of the box. They also emphasized that it's not a physical scrubbing and that my tread wouldn't be noticeably less.
Don't flame me for saying this, I'm just repeating what Porsche Customer Service and my local OPC told me. I'm just passing it on.

Also, my insurance (and most insurance companies I checked with) wouldn't pay out if the car was involved in an accident and it was found to have tyres without N marks. Some insurance companies wouldn't even pay out if there were different N numbers front to back!
Personally I think this is just a way out of paying claims as most people wouldn't be aware of this.

As for load ratings, they don't have any reflection on whether it is N rated or not. Continental for example, do exactly the same spec tyres, one with an N rating and one without. I also think the N rating might be to help people get the right tyres to keep the Porsche performing at it's best. Obviously you have to pay a premium for the N rated ones.

The tyres you've got will be fine for your car. They're the same speed rating (Y) and it's the load rating that's the only difference.
On my A3 it gives 2 different tyre pressures inside the fuel flap. One for standard and one for XL (extra load) tyres. I went for the XL's which are 94Y's.
The winter tyres I took off were 88Y, which I assume is the standard load ratings. Just make sure you check you're using the correct pressures for the new tyres.

I hope I've made sense. In my head it all makes sense, but when I try to type it I make it sound confusing.
In summary, you'll be fine. As long as they only charged you the normal tyre price and not the N rated price.

Thanks Dan. The most perfect answer I could ask for! I will call on two more for the rear tomorrow. Got to all match up!!

I must say. They didn't actually need any scrubbing.. I'm totally happy with them.