A3 1.6 lying about MPG? what do you get?

marcusgrant

Reaction score
I got my A3 about a month ago now and have been monitoring the fuel consumption.

I put £50 in at a time and do about 260 miles on it. That works out at about 33 MPG.

After each journey i do i look at my average MPG and its generally around 38MPG???

Anyone else have this or explain whats happening?

Thanks

maybe you are not using all the fuel, there is reserve left that could do another 25-30miles before filling up

depends how you calculate it too. most accurate way is to fill up to the cuttoff point, drive for a few hundred miles then fill up again to cuttoff point.
compare litres used to miles covered

did it once when i got horribly low mpg last winter and it was accurate to 1mpg

I get around 350 miles from a full tank(to red line) averaging around 35mpg. That's the 1.6 FSI

33-35MPG on full tank!
Nice driving not too slow!

Last edited:
i cant be far out with my calculations, i just put £50 in every time the fuel lights comes on.

Its just annoying that the cars telling me one thing, but doing another.

My TT and my A3 both lied optimistically about their MPG. My TT used to say 34, but it was closer to 29. Same story in the A3, DIS adds about 5Mpg onto the real figure.

worked mine out to be around the 45mpg mark all depends on where i drive if i go on a run i can get up to 53-54 mpg but average is around 40-45mpg

worked mine out to be around the 45mpg mark all depends on where i drive if i go on a run i can get up to 53-54 mpg but average is around 40-45mpg

but is that what the car is telling you or what you're actually getting?

Im just confused as to why the two are different.

Driving like a granny fran! But seriously I can never get mine anywhere near those figures

If you do 20 trips of 10 miles and average 38 mpg then add a couple of nips down the garage and to the Chinese where its probably doing 18-20 mpg for short distances that clobbers your overall ave. the car is not telling porkies, i just think looking at the ave for most trips and the ave for the tank is always going to be different. I get the same sort of thing on the S3 but if i do 300 miles on the tank which i often do in one go then the ave for the trip on the Dis works out spot on.

Over the last 5k odd miles during the summer months the overall average (2) has crept up steadily to 55.1MPG. I do mainly steady 11 mile journeys, with some longer runs here and there.

However, I know that in a normal week doing these 11 mile trips I get 150 miles to 15 litres which is a 'real' 45MPG. Every day the (1) current trip MPG on the DIS says 50+MPG.

I reckon weekly I get a 'real' 45MPG and on a run maybe a little over 50MPG, but the DIS lies optimisticallly either way.

LOADS of people have this though so its pretty normal on Audis, trying to trick you into thinking they are better than they are!

Driving like a granny fran! But seriously I can never get mine anywhere near those figures
lol yes granny driving and ive hardly ever got the a/c on windows shut ,tyres always checked weekly for pressure , and i run mine on momentum99 tesco fuel , i dont see the point in putting my foot down anymore fuel just costs to dam much lol

Reactions: pinterovski
I think my current TDI170 is pretty acrruate (long term avg is 44mpg), but my old one was pessimistic and would show high 30s/low 40s even after steady driving when checkign at the pumps it was nearer 50.

You can adjust the DIS either way with VAGCOM. Best way it to fully fill the car and reset the trip. Note down miles and how many litres it takes to fill it back up again and work out the ture mpg vs the DIS. Do this a few times and you should have a rough idea what the difference is usually like (ie overreads by 10% etc) and then adjust the DIS using VAGCOM/VCDS a little to suit.

My A3 is only every used for commuting during the week as I use another car at the weekends. I do the same journey 5 days a week. On setting 1 my DIS normally reads between 55-57mpg. On setting 2 which I haven't reset in over 60 hours of driving it's reading 56.2mpg. I've brim tested a few times and find that my average is around 50mpg so my DIS is out by roughly 10%.

how are you guys getting such high MPG on my 1.6 i get like 25-28, recently been serviced as well.

I do drive on roads with loads of humps and a lot of stop starting but would it really decrease it that much?

It can depend on loads of factors. How heavy your right foot is, tyre pressure, weight in the car. If you're lugging around a couple of passengers, a full tank of fuel and a toolkit, you're carrying a lot more weight than if I'm alone with an empty tank. (Sounds a bit upsetting when I say it like that). Hills, traffic, engine temperature, speed.

Brim testing is the only sure-fire way to know, and that's assuming your odometer is accurate ;-)

hmm so it looks like they may over read then! i had a little search around today and found that minis do it and apparently other cars as well.

I manage to get quite good results (for a 1.6) as my jouneys are generally along country roads with no starting and stopping or hard acceleration.

I've changed my driving style quite a bit since owning the car, i dont drive much slower than i used to but with the MPG computer i've learnt to drive economically.

how are you guys getting such high MPG on my 1.6 i get like 25-28, recently been serviced as well.

I do drive on roads with loads of humps and a lot of stop starting but would it really decrease it that much?

I manage over 400 miles a tank in a 2.0T, so 37-40mpg.

My 2.0TDI 170 Sport, remapped. About 45-50 MPG average, depending on driving. My tank holds roughly 52 Litres (about 10 gallons or so) cost about 72 quid to fill up and get just around 500 miles to the tank, give or take 10-20 miles, depending on driving!