Badger5Volks Autos
    Banana Menace!

Status

HPFP Internals Labour Costs For Fitting?

Hi Guys, I recently bought a brand new set of Autotech HPFP internals (and OEM cam follower) and have enquired with a local independent garage as to how long it would take to fit these and they have quoted me 3-4 hours labour. Does this sound right? I think it seems a bit much, but hey, what do I know, lol? Thanks in advance for your advice. Paula xx
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    30 mins tops if they know what they are doing.

REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

Status
    Ditto. There is no way it can take an hour.

I can barely tell one end of a spanner from the other and I changed and entire fuel pump (whole unit) in about 45 minutes. Given they have the right tools and expertise, add in an HPFP internals change and it can't be more than an hour max (A few photos of what was involved changing it so you can see a fool can do it).

Personally I'd go somewhere else based on the response.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Banana Menace!

Status
    Exactly what I thought myself, guys, thanks. I'll be going elsewhere to have it fitted, methinks. lol. x

2nd Gear

Status
    You could send the pump to autotech in the USA have it fitted there and back on your car in less hours then what them grease monkeys quoted you to do it lol .
    Call them tuners I wouldn't let them lose on my car.
    Best of luck on the out come of your hpfp.

REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Hi Paullie, I'm interested in doing this, can you give some info about where you got the internals from etc. Also why do you need a new cam follower? Thanks!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

2nd Gear

Status
    My garage quoted about an hour and a half which i was happy with and that was removal, fitting internals, cam follower and refitting it all, but i cant remenber if that included the RS4 fuel presssure regulator but i think it did.
    S3 gone but not forgotten, now on a Golf R

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    Hi Paullie, I'm interested in doing this, can you give some info about where you got the internals from etc. Also why do you need a new cam follower? Thanks!
    Hi Silky, I bought a brand new set of Autotech HPFP internals from Robert_Waite (I see you found his thread in the classified ads) and his service was second to none, parts delivered Special Delivery. As for the cam follower, it's a known weak spot on TFSi engines (even unmodified ones). It's highly documented on most of the VAG forums and for the sake of the cost of a new cam follower (around £30 including VAT and postage) it's best to change when fitting an uprated pump or at least to check the condition of your existing follower. x

Quote Originally Posted by brough74 View Post
    My garage quoted about an hour and a half which i was happy with and that was removal, fitting internals, cam follower and refitting it all, but i cant remenber if that included the RS4 fuel presssure regulator but i think it did.
    Yeah, an hour and a half sounds much more realistic. I wouldn't mind paying for 3-4 hours labour if that's how much it takes, but as has been said, if the garage takes 4 hours to do a job that should take no more than an hour and a half, then perhaps they're not the best peeps to let loose on my car, lol. x

Status
    Make sure whoever fits the pump internals uses the right lubricant as part of the installation. I've read somewhere that failure to do so can cause excessive internal wear of the pump itself during the bedding in process.

I'd always assumed the coatings, oil and fuel flowing therough the system was all that was required (I always oil up replacement cam lobes which I do every 20k miles) with basic engine oil.

I wish I could be useful enough to tell you what grease is required, does it come with any in the box? I'll have a search tonight and see if I can find out which one is recommended.

Banana Menace!

Status
    Aww thanks so much Warren. I don't think there's anything in the box apart from the internals themselves and the instructions, but will have another look. x

Status

5th Gear

Status
    3-4 hours if they're totally retarded
    Last edited by akash_sky1; 13th October 2011 at 12:59.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Thanks for that! I'm thinking of doing this to get some more power. Is it worth it at Stage 1? I like it as its very stealth compared to a CAI or Exhaust.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

2nd Gear

Status
    I would also be keen to know if there are any benefits with a stage 1.

Status
    I think under extreme load you can get fuel cuts with stage 1 (accelerating up a steep hill in 5th gear under full load for instance).

I've never heard negative press about this upgrade on any stage 1 or 2 car, but you must make sure you carry out plenty of maintenance checks on cam lobe afterwards to ensure all remains well.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    If I had this with a CAI would I be able to run a stage 2 map. Don't want an exhaust you see!

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Paulie,

Sorry I didnt reply sooner, I am away at the moment with limited reception on my phone and really feeling the cold turkey of not having wireless. I am now logged into the visitor centres Wi-fi though ;-)

Like everyone else has said it should be no more than 90mins. I think that is what Ben at Shark told me it would be. It is important though to make sure it is done in a clean environment and obviously done correctly. I would bin off the local garage.

There are advantages to having the pump internals at any stage of tune as it flows more fuel. Here is a write up.

Autotech HPFP with Revo Stage 1

Here is the Autotech guide as well

http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i127100k.pdf

Hope that helps

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Hi guys,

Anyone got the part number for the cam follower? Gonna get a HPFP now

Build Thread Here!

Banana Menace!

Status
    Hi guys,

Anyone got the part number for the cam follower? Gonna get a HPFP now
    Nice one, matey! Here's the part number you need for the cam follower - 06D 109 309 C

x

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Spot on, thanks Paullie. Hopefully I'll feel some gains on S1, if not then a CAI and S2 is the way forward!

Build Thread Here!

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks for starting this thread Paulie some good info on the HPFP.

I will be getting one of these in the next few months. Glad to see its an easy install! I have the KMD cam follower sat here ready for the HPFP to go on. Also going to fit the Forge Twintercooler.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GNJ_Motorsport View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread Paulie some good info on the HPFP.

I will be getting one of these in the next few months. Glad to see its an easy install! I have the KMD cam follower sat here ready for the HPFP to go on. Also going to fit the Forge Twintercooler.
    You gonna fit a exhaust as well mate?

Build Thread Here!

3rd Gear

Status
    You gonna fit a exhaust as well mate?
    I have done already mate fitted a full Milltek with de cat this week.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Internals ordered as well as a new CF. Will do a write up when I fit them this week!

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    I have got 3 of these left now and am offering them for £280 posted. Once they are gone they are gone!

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Got my Autotech HPFP internals fitted yesterday! Thanks to Robert, sending it really quick!

It took me about 1.5 hours to fit, but I was going steady. The hard bit was removing the engine cover and the rubber fuel line, apart from that it was easy. I just followed the install guide from the Autotech website. Paullie, have a go at fitting it yourself, its fairy easy! I also fitted a new cam follower but the one I took out did not even have a mark on it. A few pics (was meant to take more but forgot!):

The car now feels even better (even just on Stage 1), pulls like a train! Seems like the turbo lag has been reduced as well. Well happy!

Thinking about fitting a CAI now, looking at the ITG ones, any good?

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Glad you are pleased. Definitely get an intake as the noise is so addictive. ITG is a good piece of it's as well.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Got my Autotech HPFP internals fitted yesterday! Thanks to Robert, sending it really quick!

It took me about 1.5 hours to fit, but I was going steady. The hard bit was removing the engine cover and the rubber fuel line, apart from that it was easy. I just followed the install guide from the Autotech website. Paullie, have a go at fitting it yourself, its fairy easy! I also fitted a new cam follower but the one I took out did not even have a mark on it. A few pics (was meant to take more but forgot!):

The car now feels even better (even just on Stage 1), pulls like a train! Seems like the turbo lag has been reduced as well. Well happy!

Thinking about fitting a CAI now, looking at the ITG ones, any good?
    Hi! did you change the remap settings when you were stage 1 and noticed improvement or directly noticed improvement at the same settings? Thanks
    Last edited by berto; 12th April 2013 at 14:41.