ECU reset??

AudiiduA

Reaction score
Hi all, im now running my3.2 on shell V Power 99,will the ECU learn new fuel or do i have to disconnect battery???

just put it in and away you go my freind the ecu is a clever bit of kit its thinking all the time driving styles and what not.

It will eventually "learn" enough to start benefiting from the v-power, but probably after a couple of tanks of fuel. To speed up the process do an ECU reset / battery disconnect.
I try to do one every once in a while anyway to freshen things up, and help my car "forget" all of the slow traffic jam driving that I do.

It will eventually "learn" enough to start benefiting from the v-power, but probably after a couple of tanks of fuel. To speed up the process do an ECU reset / battery disconnect.
I try to do one every once in a while anyway to freshen things up, and help my car "forget" all of the slow traffic jam driving that I do.
What do you mean forget? Delete?? and being stuck in traffic alot..what effect on how the car drives does this have??

What do you mean forget? Delete?? and being stuck in traffic alot..what effect on how the car drives does this have??

ecu's learn and adapt to your driving style and other things such as fuel type and ambient air temp etc,it adjusts the cells (timing and fuelling) to suit and fine tunes within its parameters,if you change something such as fuel type the car will instantly start to make adjustments but will not fully achieve its "optimum" for about 50-80 miles of driving ,if you potter around under 4k revs it will never fully adjust to suit,also the ecu uses sensors such as lambda and MAF to make these changes,once you use over 3/4 throttle the ecu switches to closed loop and uses the map rather than the sensors (or still relies on them but not as much)so a remap would make the most out of the change of fuel and any other additions/modifications made ,its all about the ecu finding the optimum performance and economy while making sure there is no det or anything similar within the engine

Do Audi's not have a KAM fuse? In my Focus ST I use to pull the KAM fuse every few months and that would totally transform the car. Wrecked the fuel economy but made the daily drive more exciting.

Also, doing a clear DTC's with VagCom will apparently clear the adaptations, even if there are no error codes. I can vouch for there being a fresher feel to the car after doing this, I used to disconnect the battery too on previous S3.

Also, doing a clear DTC's with VagCom will apparently clear the adaptations, even if there are no error codes. I can vouch for there being a fresher feel to the car after doing this, I used to disconnect the battery too on previous S3.

A bit of a dumb question but how long would you leave the battery disconnected for or is it just simple a quick disconnect - reconnect job?

A bit of a dumb question but how long would you leave the battery disconnected for or is it just simple a quick disconnect - reconnect job?

disconnect, pump the brakes a few times to get the residual out and leave for about 20 mins then re-connect

Reactions: andywaddy
to be honest though just run tesco99 or v-power all the time anyway,i do but mine is mapped,its actually better for your wallet too as the higher the octane the more advance the ecu can run the ignition timing so you will get better mpg