New 2012 MOT - from January 2012

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I seen details on various other forums of the additional item that will be included in the MOT from 1 January 2012. As there seems to have been nothing posted so far on this particular forum I will add those details...

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements: (a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements (b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour (c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory): (a) Device not operating. (b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory): Device not operating.

6.1.9 Engine performance: (a) Control unit illegal modified. (b) Illegal engine modification. (by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

There will also be a new check on the general condition of the wiring:

4.11. Electrical wiring (a) Wiring insecure or not adequately secured. (b) Wiring deteriorated. (c) Damaged or deteriorated insulation and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners: Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag: (a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle. (b) Airbag obviously non-operative.

7.1.6. SRS Systems: SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system.

One item I'm particularly pleased to see is the requirements for Lighting which should mean that cars which have had Xenons added to headlamps designed for Halogen bulbs and have also done so without including the required levelling and headlamp washing will fail an MOT.

Quite how an MOT tester is going to tell in connection with Engine performance if (a) Control unit illegal modified, (b) Illegal engine modification has been done I'm not sure. Some engine mods will be obvious but a remapping will be much harder to spot!

I seen details on various other forums of the additional item that will be included in the MOT from 1 January 2012. As there seems to have been nothing posted so far on this particular forum I will add those details...

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements: (a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements (b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour (c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory): (a) Device not operating. (b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

6.1.9 Engine performance: (a) Control unit illegal modified. (b) Illegal engine modification. (by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

4.11. Electrical wiring (a) Wiring insecure or not adequately secured. (b) Wiring deteriorated. (c) Damaged or deteriorated insulation and on the function of airbag and seat belt pre-tensioner systems:

7.1.4. Safety belt Pre-tensioners: Pre-tensioner obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.

7.1.5. Airbag: (a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle. (b) Airbag obviously non-operative.

One item I'm particularly pleased to see is the requirements for Lighting which should mean that cars which have had Xenons added to headlamps designed for Halogen bulbs and have also done so without including the required levelling and headlamp washing will fail an MOT.

Quite how an MOT tester is going to tell in connection with Engine performance if (a) Control unit illegal modified, (b) Illegal engine modification has been done I'm not sure. Some engine mods will be obvious but a remapping will be much harder to spot!

If i remeber correctly, there was a discussion about this last week lol

I did a search for MOT and it came up with nothing. Perhaps you could provide a link to the discussion.

I understand what your saying and agree, but if the car was not fitted with Xenons from the factory and so did not have levellers and washers fitted but had Xenons retrofitted by the owner would that vehicle still require them for an MOT as the VIN would show that it should have halogens and not required the "mandatory" items....

The way it could read it is that if the car was fitted with the items from the factory then the items must be in working order...

I understand what your saying and agree, but if the car was not fitted with Xenons from the factory and so did not have levellers and washers fitted but had Xenons retrofitted by the owner would that vehicle still require them for an MOT as the VIN would show that it should have halogens and not required the "mandatory" items....

The way it could read it is that if the car was fitted with the items from the factory then the items must be in working order...

Your question does not make sense? The mandatory requirement that is soon to be enforced is for the requirement for 'ALL' Xenon (HID) headlights to have auto levelling & self cleaning system installed. Why should the law be any different for car manufacturers and those who install the lights themselves?? When you do any kind of modification to your car you need to make sure it meets the legal requirements that maybe necessary and as is the law, ignorance cannot be used as a defence. If you buy a car that has Xenons installed by any previous owner, it would become your responsibility that everything on the car complies with the law. The whole point of having auto levelling is for the safety of other road users. It ****** me off when I see cars with aftermarket HID lights that don't have the auto levelling just because they can't be bothered with the extra cost and make the rest of us suffer by blinding us at night which could quite easily cause an accident. It will be good to see less of these dicks on the road but wish VOSA had implemented these regulations a lot sooner!

Last edited:
(b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour

No more darth vadar A3s then? Sounds to me as though LaminX will be out.

I am all for it guys, my car is standard and if I fitted Xenons it would be with washers and levellers (not that I am!), just saying that the way it's worded could be seen as unclear. a bit like if a spare wheel is in the car and illegal then the car would fail an MOT, if the spare wheel is missing then it's not there to test it would pass.....

Wonder if LED sidelights will be allowed...?

I know the Airbag & ESP are going to cause a few "but it passed like that lasted last year" 's.

The laminex will be ok if its not too dark as the guidelines will no doubt use the word substantial somewhere in the sentance LOL

Is a K&N filter an illegal mod?? There's no way we can tell if an engines been remapped and is a remap illegal??

I don't think MOT testers will be opening the air boxes to check the filter brand or do a rolling road test to establish actual BHP.