Has anyone had a MY 2012 TDI remapped

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I understand that remapping the latest 2.0TDI engine can no longer be done through the diagnostic port and the ECU has to be removed from the car. Has anyone had this done?

I like the current A3 very much and mine will be 3 years old in April 2012 so I am considering ordering another existing model even though there is a new model out some time next year. The thing is if I wait for the new model, will I like it as much, will the full range of specs and engines be available at release, will the 6-speed s-tronic still be available?

My current A3 has a 2.0TDI CR engine that has been remapped to around 170. With the possible problems with remapping a new 140 I am considering going for a new 170. Slightly more expensive the a 140 and a remap but probably less hassle and, of course, no insurance problems.

Interestingly I have just found an item about the new 2012 MOT requirement and this item about remapping in particular...
6.1.9 Engine performance: (a) Control unit illegal modified. (b) Illegal engine modification. (by 'illegal', it is assumed that they mean changed/programmed differently from OEM specifications)

Quite how an MOT tester is going to be able to tell if an ECU has be changed I'm not sure. Some modifications will be obvious by a remapped chip. Rather difficult I think.

There is another requiremnt which personally I am very glad to see...

4.1.4 Compliance with requirements: (a) Lamp, emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements (b) Products on lens or light source which obviously reduce light intensity or change emitted colour (c) Light source and lamp not compatible

4.1.5. Levelling devices (where mandatory): (a) Device not operating. (b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory): Device not operating.

Hopefully this will stop 'the few' from adding Xenon headlights with doing the job properly and adding levelling and headlamp washers.

Last edited:
It's the non projectile 10k HID kits you see on fiestas and older golfs that do my head in. So bright don't put the light in the correct place!

Are the new 170's behaving themselves now? My brother in law has a 170 '57 plate and he is regularly getting ECU lights relating to DPF etc. Very good car but they constantly dread the light, but a hard drive often seems to clear it in most occasions. Don't know if it's common rail or PD at that reg.

If MY12 can be mapped by tuning house likelihood is a 140 mapped will go better than a 170 OEM where it matters.

Who mapped your 140 Dave?

Are the new 170's behaving themselves now? My brother in law has a 170 '57 plate and he is regularly getting ECU lights relating to DPF etc. Very good car but they constantly dread the light, but a hard drive often seems to clear it in most occasions. Don't know if it's common rail or PD at that reg.

If MY12 can be mapped by tuning house likelihood is a 140 mapped will go better than a 170 OEM where it matters.

Who mapped your 140 Dave?
i think i may be wrong tho but arent all 170hp tdi's cr engines

i think i may be wrong tho but arent all 170hp tdi's cr engines

No my 2007 2.0TDI-170 was a PD engine. One of the reasons I changed from the 170 to my current 140 in April 2009 when the 170 was only just over 2 years old was to get a common-rail engine. At the time I tested the 140 and the 170 and slightly preferred the behaviour of the 140. This was then remapped to around 170 by P-Torque. But with the possible insurance problems and the 2012 MOT requirements I am considering sticking to and standard OEM car and going for the 170.

I have spoken to P-Torque and they say they can do the current 2.0TDI engines but the ECU has to come out and the chip remapped out of the car rather than through the diagnostic socket. It is then fairly obvious that the ECU has been removed as P-Torque cannot refit using exactly the same secure way used in the factory.