recommended quality car battery

k9audi

NITRO
Reaction score
My car battery is on its way out and I was wondering whats the best quality battery I can get for my 2.0 tdi
any recommendations :whistle2:

The best battery you can get for your car would be an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery but hey are pretty pricey and a bit over kill on an A3. Personally I would go for a Bosch Silver top.

Thanks Dandle. I'll do a quick search for Bosch Silver top. Is there a particular part number at all?

2 great batteries mentioned... Thanks but which one? :weight_lift2:

Its a superb battery, its the next step up above the oem version Varta Blue, caters for more electronics & does a better job of it, car starts no problem even after weeks being sat standing.

Nothing wrong with either battery but as your putting it in a TDI would go for a bigger battery than that 77Ah and pick 85-90Ah range.

So would this battery be the correct one for my 2005 2.0TFSI Quattro?

Check the varta battery search site, has chassis & engine types to select from.

Also search online for the same battery if you want cheaper.

Costco do some good prices on BOSCH batteries, have one in my BMW and even after being left for a month it starts as fresh as it would do used daily. Cost around £60 and it's pretty big.

Looks like it may be difficult to source the Varta Silver Dynamic down here in France. What is being offered locally is only the Varta Blue Dynamic E11 and the Bosch S4-008. Both have the same spec. Any opinions on these?

I've received the Varta Silver Dynamic battery. I'm going to change the battery later or tomorrow.

I was reading some installation instructions on the internet and I've seen it mentioned to put grease on the battery knobs (where u attach postive and negative clamps) I'm just wondering if this is recommended or not? if it is where could I get the grease and does it matter what type of grease?

Also other than the negative and positve clamps attach to the battery at the moment is there anything else hidden that holds the battery in place?

Grease is not required at all, ignore that suggestion.

Yeah down the left side bottom is 1 bolt 13mm size head with a clamp, get your hand on this before trying to fully undo or remove, as they can full down into the bay.

How do you avoid locking the radio? Need to out a new battery in mine but don't have a the radio code.

Depends on age of cars, but most these days remember the last vin connected to, newer cars dont have the pin code supplied inside the book anymore given the vin is remembered these days & audi's ideas are it would never be removed from the car, hence no pin.

Grease on the top of the terminals can reduce the chance of corrosion between the clamp.

Each to there own, but tbh in all my days of driving & owning cars, not had 1 terminal corrode, now allowing for differing locations on this planet, its not impossible, but chances are very low & if you were seriously considering it, then an electrolytic grease is best, but again I've never greased a battery terminal before.

Modern day batteries & engine bays have lowered the chance of this aswell, batteries are encased mostly in trims/covers.