My Throttle Bodys a Tad Dirty...

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Ive been getting a few faults through VCDS intermittantly over the past few weeks, some that relate to the throttle body so I thought Id give it a clean to see if that made any difference.

Ive never cleaned the TB over the 40k miles and 2 1/2 years of owning the car so thought I may as well give it a go.

The top side wasnt too bad:
3c94c2b7.jpg

The underside... Well, let the photo do the talking...
dc9cedad.jpg

Needless to say Im going to be here for hours cleaning this, if itll even clean!

On a serious note, is there something seriously wrong that would cause this build up or just the fact that in the cars 115k mile lifetime its probably never been cleaned?

Mine was the same as that when I replaced it, so it is probably just build up over time. I did try to clean mine first with some electrical contact spray which seemed pretty effective at cleaning.

Its like most of these cleaners these days...They make them so safe they dont work anymore. I remember when carb cleaner would just melt petrol varnish...now its totally useless but if you drink it by mistake you will be fine ...:)......I think thats the thinking...lol

Try redex or some kind of de coke mix but dont push the flap open !! its connected to a tiny stepper motor and you will wreck it if you force it..

No need to replace tbh, just get it clean u lazy git lol, not worth the cost of new if its just dirty.

Whoa.! No wonder mine failed at 120k and had to be replaced...

Its like most of these cleaners these days...They make them so safe they dont work anymore. I remember when carb cleaner would just melt petrol varnish...now its totally useless but if you drink it by mistake you will be fine ...:)......I think thats the thinking...lol

Try redex or some kind of de coke mix but dont push the flap open !! its connected to a tiny stepper motor and you will wreck it if you force it..

Your not wrong, everything has to be made "safe" in the event that an obviously unsupervised child should neck a can of carb cleaner haha.