smoke on startup,2.0 tdi bkd

nokia_aid

Reaction score
ok guys here is my problem,when the car has been left overnight it smokes like a ****** on startup but then it clears after a bit,im getting a error code saying misfire on cylinder 1,i thought it was a sticky injector leaking fuel overnight but i changed the injector and iv still got the exact same problem

heres a video of the smoke,only thing i can tink of now is maby its a valve stem oil seal

[URL=http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/markmills2000uk/?action=view&current=ebb64938.mp4][/URL]

Is it difficult to start first thing in a morning - IE takes several spins of the starter motor to bark into life?

my misses galaxy was just the same until changed turbo.

turbo bearings and seals might be gone

just been out tere and its not just when its left overnight,its when its left cold,i left it for about an hour and started it and it smoked loads again,now when its warm i could leave it for a for a lot longer thatn that before it would smoke on startup again

the smoke seems diesely,reminds me of the fumes that used to come out my jcb,

iv only done a 400 miles in the car since buying it and i did a complete coolant change 100 miles ago so not done enough miles to know if im loosing coolant yet,but i would have thought if it was coolant in the cylinder the smoke would be white and evapourate

It looks like valve stems are leaking m8, had same fault
On lots of cars ive worked on in the past, it wont do any
Harm, its just a bit of a pain in the butt, btw does the car
Still pull ok

Cal

yeah once you have gone down the road for about 10 seconds you wouldnt know the car had any issues and pulls really well,my brother just had a look and says its definatly unburnt diesel fumes out the exhuast and it misfires for a bit too,he suggested the fuel pump maby.

well after looking around someone else had the same issue and it was their injector harness and they checked it by measuring the resistance down the injector wires,iv unplugged it but there are 10 connectors in there,does anybody know wich ones are for the injectors,im guessing there will be an earth and then a wire for each injector,,wiring diagram would be handy but cant seem to find it on my elsawin

found the diagram and measured across them and they al came up the same,

previous owner said it started happening around the time the cam belt was done but not sure if before or after,is there a way of checking if the cam belt is on right,also is there a way of testing the coolant sensors so i can rule those out

Gotta say mate, I have the same issues atm - and its looking like head gasket/porous cylinder head to me.

Whats the Suffix letter on the code on the head? (Under the cover, upside down bottom right?)

the head is a B mate,i dont think mine is the head though,im starting to think its a timing issue,if i leave the car ticking over when its cold it will plume smoke for a couple of minutes but if i drive it instantly i just get an initial small puff then no smoke at all,so that would make me think its not anything dripping into the cylinders as it would smoke all the way down the road to burn it off.

also its only when it stone cold,just went and used the car and its been stood for 5 hours and it started fine(still warm from 50 mile jounry this morning) but if its stone cold like i pop into town and back so it doesnt get up to full temp then it will smoke like a ****** on startup an hour later

If the smoke is white and it's difficult to start the engine then it would indicate a porous cylinder head.
If it's blue smoke then oil is getting into combustion chambers and gets burned with the fuel. Mine was smoking blue when turbo was on its way out. Very noticeable when pulling from the lights, etc.

Get it scanned with VCDS for error codes and let us know what's up.