Couple of things re my 2004 3.2 (revised)

daver555

Reaction score
Nothing major but one is rather annoying!

1. I really can't figure out how to remove the chrome cover around the DSG shifter :uhm:. I want to wrap it as its got a few marks and looks unsightly. Could someone give an idiots guide to correct removal please?

2. My single din Concert started cutting out earlier this evening whilst listening to a CD. No apparent reason and no error message just appeared to play but no sound. I switched it off and on again which worked but 5 mins later it cut out a couple more times before I got home. Is this a known issue with this HU? After a bit of a search it looks like I need to obtain a TDK CD laser cleaning disc. I'll try and get hold of one and see if this fixes it. Any help or comments would be appreciated in the meantime:icon_thumright:

Cheers in advance
Dave

Last edited:
Crikey, seems rather quiet on here at the moment :3sadwalk:

I would of asked two different questions and been a bit more specific in the heading.

Sorry I can't help with ur issues.

Have you tried the search button?

Edit: I noticed u asked the shifter surround question in July, u got a reply.........in July ;)

Last edited:
Yep, tried the search button and still can't figure out how to remove the shifter cover. As for seperate questions have you been over to the ICE section recently, it's even quieter over there than here lol.

Open ashtray - grip under leading edge of surround next to ashtray - pull upwards hard - feels like you might snap it but it will unclip.

Pull rest of surround off similarly by pulling other end upwards.

Unclip the cable underneath connected to the lit gear indicator.

Unclip the gaitor for the gear lever.

Job's a good'un.

Cheers Cooperuk, however I don't have an ash tray and the shifter doesn't have a gaitor hence my confusion when reading previous guides. All I have is a big storage area in front of the shifter. I know this probably sounds realy stupid to those who've removed theirs but I'm new to the VW/Audi brand and don't want to break anything if you know what I mean so please bear with me lol.