Brightness of DRLs / Sidelights (Non Led)

aky20

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone noticed that when you change the lights from the day light running mode to the sidelight function the intensitive/brightness of the light dims down.

I have noticed this on my 2010 A3 with non leds DRLs and was wondering if it is possible to increase the brightness of the sidelights using VAGCOM?

Many thanks

Aky

I've noticed this too and was wondering the same thing as it happens (I've got LED DRL's though).

DRL - LED's on bright.
Sidelights - DRL LED's dim down, rear lights come on.

Anyone know the reason for this? I assumed that it was to encourage people to put their headlights on when it's dark as I once drove back from the gym with just my DRL's on (without realising). They were bright enough to light the road up to an extent so it never really crossed my mind until I realised my centre console wasn't backlit (oops!). I've been used to having auto-lights for the past couple of years too so that probably didn't help either to be fair.

Haha yeah I spotted that just the other day as well! There was an A4 opposite me at a junction and one set of DRL LED's was significantly dimmer than the other. It then clicked why, and I was gobsmacked - they really have thought of everything! :salute:

I'm pretty sure you can change the settings in VAG tho. I'll have a look when I activate Scandinavia mode later.

Thanks Cruiser!

I have the LED's that Andi has posted on the forum and the look brilliant in the DRL mode, but when it comes to the sidelight they are very Dim and hardly and light output.

Hi All,

Has anyone noticed that when you change the lights from the day light running mode to the sidelight function the intensitive/brightness of the light dims down.

I have noticed this on my 2010 A3 with non leds DRLs and was wondering if it is possible to increase the brightness of the sidelights using VAGCOM?

Many thanks

Aky

This is how it is meant to be! on the non LED version the DRL and Sidelight is the same bulb... the brightness of it is what defines the mode it is set it.
when you turn on the headlights the DRL is dimmed so that the headlight is doing all the work. this is how all Audi DRLs work.

if you want the car to have a brighter side light (without using headlights) then just use the DRL!