JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Rebuilding your own turbo? See link...

HI guys, turbo is giving up the ghost and im selling the car so i need to sort it!

Now looking on ebay iv seen this

AUDI A3 TDI 2.0 GT1749V Turbocharger Turbo Cartridge | eBay

Looks good to me, all it seems you need to do is open the turbo up and replace this. Im pretty good with this kind of stuff and i would rather do this myself than pay some guys hundreds to do a potentially 10 minute job !?

Any thought? I might give it a go if i get enough encouragement lol!
    2006 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line l Team Heko Wind Deflectors l Celtic Tuning Remap l Rear De-Wiper l Pipercross Panel Filter l

After a Passenger Xenon Headlight for A3 8P. No ballasts required. PM ME!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Well, no encouragement from anybody as yet...

Either way im buying this, and a seal kit and i am going to get turbo off on weekend and will replace the following weekend and i will let you know how i get on. Should be simple enough, but as iv got a quattro, its going to be quite the challenge...
    2006 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line l Team Heko Wind Deflectors l Celtic Tuning Remap l Rear De-Wiper l Pipercross Panel Filter l

1st Gear

Status
    I don't think it's too difficult a job, You are just bolting ancillaries such as exhaust and compressor housings onto the core, and then the oil and water banjos etc. Not very technical and should be fine.

I'm not entirely sure why you think it will be more difficult because it's a quattro though.

4th Gear

Status
    Because you have the "transfer box" bolted to the offside of the diff and the turbo comes out from underneath so it may be a bit tight. I should think you will be fine.

It doesn't look like a genuine Garrett item though? and make sure you prime the turbo before you refit it.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by asasprey View Post
    HI guys, turbo is giving up the ghost and im selling the car so i need to sort it!

Now looking on ebay iv seen this

AUDI A3 TDI 2.0 GT1749V Turbocharger Turbo Cartridge | eBay

Looks good to me, all it seems you need to do is open the turbo up and replace this. Im pretty good with this kind of stuff and i would rather do this myself than pay some guys hundreds to do a potentially 10 minute job !?

Any thought? I might give it a go if i get enough encouragement lol!
    Looks good, Keep us informed.
    If it goes well I'm sure some people maybe interested in doing it or getting you to do it for them

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    The part is Chinese crap to start with plus you better hope that thing is balanced properly when you fit it or you will be picking turbo fragments out of your engine.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah it is Chinese crap but 12 month guarantee and the guy told me it comes pre balanced so hopefully all should be good, essentially it's just a fan and a bearing, whats the worst that could happen lol. Genuine garrett is 300.00 so il take a gamble with Chinese crap. And I will do a step by step and post my results up chaps. See if I can save us guys some money's!!

flying oyster

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by asasprey View Post
    Yeah it is Chinese crap but 12 month guarantee and the guy told me it comes pre balanced so hopefully all should be good, essentially it's just a fan and a bearing, whats the worst that could happen lol. Genuine garrett is 300.00 so il take a gamble with Chinese crap. And I will do a step by step and post my results up chaps. See if I can save us guys some money's!!
    big white smoke over wolverhampton !!!
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    The part is Chinese crap to start with plus you better hope that thing is balanced properly when you fit it or you will be picking turbo fragments out of your engine.
    Couldn't have put that better myself......if it isn't balanced it'll tear itself up.
    A guarantee is all very well providing it can be collected on,plus this is one piece of engineering that should be done in a clean room,and as always,you get what you pay for.......

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by flying oyster View Post
    big white smoke over wolverhampton !!!
    Better than the black smoke over wolverhampton at the minute, I can't see the car behind me!