Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

just got 07 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi S line, advice on suspension knocking needed.

Firstly thanks to all the replies on this forum which have been beyond helpful(didn't know about injector issue and now Audi UK are going to change them and the loom)

I can't post a picture here for some reason but here's the link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2794569/photo.JPG

Spec is 2007 2.0tdi 170 DSG
    Heated seats(best ever)
    Bose(sounds better than Bose in my 2002 S3)
    Ipod in glovebox(disappointed that track names etc don't come up, any way to get this?)
    Full leather
    Armrest
    Pan roof
    Rear Parking Sensors
    Multi Function wheel
    Speedline multi spoke alloys
    Concert 6 cd in dash(cd stuck in it so just using iPod)
    DSG(jerky first gear but hoping gearbox oil and filter change tomorrow will solve it)
    Lava Grey Metallic
    Rear parcel shelf(broken in the middle of the top bar, Audi have it on back order)

Extras I'd like to fit are:RNS e and factory bluetooth

Also like to swap Speedline multi spokes for the RS6 style five spokes

Car drives beautifully, needs new tyres(gonna go for Falken FK 452s), lovely torque and I like handling my only concern is a knocking sound coming from the rear suspension.

It's your classic wheel bearing or shock absorber sound that can be heard when the rear axle goes over speed bumps.

Would anyone have any tips on how to pin point it before it goes to Audi?

thanks

Paul
    Last edited by paultaylor; 2nd October 2011 at 17:06.

2. # ADS
    ADS

TM
    S-line SB

Status
    Speedlines on darker coloured sportbacks look the dogs IMO.

Hope you get those little niggles sorted and start enjoying it properly!

Some chrome rings around the fog lights would look spot on also.
    A3 Sportback 140 TDI S-line
    Mods: Number plate LEDs, Rear Rings delete, Rear S-line Badge, Internal Audi and Rings stickers, Silvatec chrome indicators, Interior LEDs, Chrome Fog Rings.
    Future mods: Remap, MY09 Rear LEDs.

SOLD & SADLY MISSED

Neutral

Status
    pratically same car as mine however i have the rns-e and bluetooth. i had nightmares with the injectors prior to vosa getting involved... anyhow mine has just had rear shock absorber done under warrenty with audi. have no idea on cost mate but it sounds same thing, horrible metal clangy noise when hitting pothole or speed bump.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashaudia3 View Post
    pratically same car as mine however i have the rns-e and bluetooth. i had nightmares with the injectors prior to vosa getting involved... anyhow mine has just had rear shock absorber done under warrenty with audi. have no idea on cost mate but it sounds same thing, horrible metal clangy noise when hitting pothole or speed bump.
    thanks for the reply, mine has 37miles and appears a cherished example, really good paint with no swirls nor door dents etc, full Audi history, serviced in Audi North Dublin(can't believe they didn't spot the shock absorber in the road test)

How old is yours? mine is JUly 2007 so Uk three year warranty well gone as is the Audi dealership warranty.

I just put mine up on jacks to check for play in the bearings and when moving the left rear I could feel a clunking in the shock when moving the wheel as hard as I could with my hands.

Anyone any idea on shock replacement cost?

thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Update:

Had the car checked over by a Shocks, tyres outfit in Dublin(Similiar to Kwik Fit)

He checked the wheel bearings for play, shocks, droplinks and wihsbones and everything else on the suspension and said he could see nothing wrong but I don't think his shock absorber test was very scientific.

He said on ly the NCT centre(MOT in Ireland) would have the right machine to test the shocks.

Does anyone know of a better way of checking? as i was leaving and when over a pothole the dreaded clunk from the rear happened again.

thanks.

Paul

p.s. on a more positive note the Falkens arrive today(camskill.co.uk, great value) and the gearbox oil and filter should be done by the end of the week

5th Gear

Status
    This may sound trivial, but check you have the parcel shelf wires attached and not hanging in the boot. The weighted balls on the end of mine clunk against the side of the boot quite loudly when haning free! Worth a mention.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    This may sound trivial, but check you have the parcel shelf wires attached and not hanging in the boot. The weighted balls on the end of mine clunk against the side of the boot quite loudly when haning free! Worth a mention.
    I tried that the other day by taking out the parcel shelf and lying it flat on the boot floor and making sure the balls weren't rattling around but the noise still happens.

thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    id go for a worn mount or snapped spring (very common on vags-normally go right up the top so are hard to see)
    3dr Dolphin Grey Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by afcjay View Post
    id go for a worn mount or snapped spring (very common on vags-normally go right up the top so are hard to see)
    Thanks for that, I'll bring it for another inspection