Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Thumbs down My experience of owning a 170 s line so far. It's not all a bed of roses

Hi all
    I thought I would share my experience of owning my 57 plate a3 s line. I purchased the car approx 6 weeks ago privatly and TBH I have had nothing but trouble since day 1.

The car has covered 100k and has been a fleet car batting up and down the motorway and has full vag history.
    So after a few days I noticed that the car was putting out white smoke under load and also it seemed to be holding back. A quick search pointed towards a possible injector. Had the car vagcom'd and it came up with a faulty lambda. Had a new one fitted and all seemed to be ok for a day or so. Then back to the same senario white smoke and holding back. Next thing was the coolant warning light came on and it needed topping up, funny I thought it was ok a few days ago. Over the next week i discovered that the car was loosing coolant. A quick google search showed two possible faults, pourous cylinder head or DPF cooler leaking both common faults..

It transpires that it's the cooler at fault that is chucking water down the exhaust that in turn is knackering the lambda FFS
    So booked into Audi next week to have a peek and today I am driving to work and the car is kangarooing like a bugger, then the DPF light appears on the dash F**k. So a call to my local garage and they advised me to go and rag the car so the car will regenerate the exhaust and off I go. whilst trying to drive it hard it's still kangarooing and then the glow plug light starts flashing and the car is now in limp home mode and refuses to rev over 3000 rpm aaaaaahhhhhhh..........
    To add insult to injury the ESP light has come on as well

So it looks like i need a dpf, a lalmbda sensor and whatever else is fooked on the car
    To say I'm gutted is an understatement.... Looks like it's gonna be expansive :>(

Any idea's guys
    Ted
    Ps I also have an a3 06 140 tdi and it's been no trouble in the last 3 years
    Last edited by tedstdi; 30th September 2011 at 22:13.

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    DPF delete + Remap! Love my 140 though

4th Gear

Status
    100% what N8 said. Dpf's on all vehicles are nothing but a major pain in the anus, especially if the car is mainly used around town.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    i know this doesnt sound the same as the issues posted on the thread below but have you had the injectors changed as its a known fault on the 170's?

maybe email Audi UK so that the dealers can check it when its in for the fault diagnostic

Anyone else with this problem on 2006 2.0 TDi? Injectors...
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.