Auto Lights question

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi guys,

Can anyone that has the Auto lights and rain pack from factory confirm what CE module is installed in the car?
I have a F version CE and although the rain and light sensor is detected on the car and on VCDS i can see the sensor working by the measuring blocks it still does not want to switch off the lights in the daytime.

The auto wipers is working fine, so i am wondering if there is something else to do with this?

also i dont know if this changes anything but i have retrofitted bi-xenons (just thinking of all the variable factors) which are working perfectly and was wondering if there is any thing i should code or change as i have xenons and not halogens?

cheers

Reactions: Shay
i have a factory fit K central control module and i have auto wiper/lights.

Considering the C supersede's to an F, F to a K, K to a P, then you either have a faulty module (unlikely), wiring issue or coding problem.

F fully supports auto lights & rain sensor.

F afaik has the bixenon with seperate drl drop down select option in byte 21 of the CE module, so this shouldnt affect it.

Check your wiring & your coding 1st.

thanks for that nigel.
i was actually wondering if F did support it. you are right that the F module has that drop down on byte 21 and that my module is set to bi-xenon with separate DRL.

Ok so since it does i wont need to go looking for another CE...

I have checked the wiring over and over using Elsa and i have tried looking on different year models for the a3 to see where the wiring differences are but these differences are minor (ie. which fuse should be used)

As i said the auto wipers are working fine and in VCDS on the CE 09 on measuring block 8 the light and rain sensor test fine.
I was wondering if the auto dimming mirror had anything to do with it so i checked the wiring and coding on that but nothing i can see there that is wrong.

the wiring i have is as follows:

Auto dimming interior Mirror
Pin 1 > Fuse 7 in fusebox 5A Fuse
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 1 12-pin connector, black (B) onboard power supply (underdash, drivers side) (T12c/1)

Rain and light sensor
Pin 1 > Fuse 16 in fusebox 10A Fuse
Pin 2 > Earth
Pin 3 > Pin 3 8-pin connector, black (F) onboard power supply (T8h/3)

Light switch (1 additional wire is needed) -
Pin 2 10-pin connector, black (A) (back of light switch)(T10e/2) > Pin 14 16-pin connector, Black (E) onboard power supply (T16a/14)

Now the dimming mirror works perfectly, so i dont think that affects anything here...

the light switch does nothing different since i have wired in pin 2, (when i put the switch to auto the lights just stay on) which makes me believe it is coding.

Can you advise what coding i should exactly have so i can double check that?
Also i noticed this:
in adaption channel 7: Main beam with automatic driving lights

Value range: 0 - 1

0 = deactivated
1 = activated

which should it be set to for Auto lights to work with bi-xenon as my headlights currently dont really have a main beam... just has the shutters and the DRL wires from the bi-xenon retrofit went to plug A and D in pin 3 which is normally set as main beams. should this affect anything on the coding?

as you can tell i am trying to break down all the possibilities to over come the issue.

thanks

have you checked the coding of the rain/light sensor as well - this appears as a sub module of bcm 09 and has settings for different types of car - perhaps the light sensitivity is set wrong?

yh i checked that and set it to A3 on both the light and the rain part. Like i said the sensor is actually working as i can test that on VCDS on measuring blocks.
it feels like the headlight switch is not wired correctly to accept the auto function even though it is wired to the location specified in ELSA. everything else is working, just when i put the headlight into auto position the lights come one no matter how light/dark it is outside. also to add if i disconnect pin 2 from the headlight switch i do not get any errors and the lights stay on all the same.

I was just wondering guys I have just changed my light switch to the newer chrome style and now my lights stay on all the time too, I have Auto lights also so If I keep my old module with the newer style switch front will everything be okay?

I was just wondering guys I have just changed my light switch to the newer chrome style and now my lights stay on all the time too, I have Auto lights also so If I keep my old module with the newer style switch front will everything be okay?

not sure what your question there is meant to mean? what module are you talking about?

very interesting that you changed the switch over and you have the same issue as me. I was already thinking that this auto light headlight switch was the wrong one for my car... will have to get another and see if i still get the same issue.

Morning ladies, ok 1st question, what part no. have you 2 used for the headlight switch?

Also pics of said switches aswell.

Well I mean the chip internally inside the switch would this make any difference? I'm not sure about all the coding and everything I'm just okay at changing things lol

ok so i know that the switch i have isnt exacltly right for my setup as i now have xenons and not halogen but here is the switch:

7a0da0ff.jpg

and the part number is 8P2 919 094

I was looking in ETKA earlier and i found 8J2 941 531 E which looks like the right switch from the TT with DRL switching, I also found a thread where Nigel has said its the one he uses so i hope im looking for the right one now.
That being said should the one i currently have still be causing the issue i am getting?

I have Auto Lights and Wipers from the factory. I don't have Vag Com to check what my CE Rev is, but we have had a few A3's now with this function. The first being a 04 "54" car, mine which is an 07 "07" car and my parents have a 10 "10" car which is facelift obviously.

The one difference between the 04 and the 07 cars was when the lights came on, the green sidelight light to tell you the lights were on was situated in the rev counter. On my 07 car the sidelight light is on the switch like the one you have posted up. Could this be a reason for your troubles??

Did you also know that the outside lights can be on but the interior lights stay off... for instance if its raining but bright outside.

ok so i know that the switch i have isnt exacltly right for my setup as i now have xenons and not halogen but here is the switch:

7a0da0ff.jpg

and the part number is 8P2 919 094

I was looking in ETKA earlier and i found 8J2 941 531 E which looks like the right switch from the TT with DRL switching, I also found a thread where Nigel has said its the one he uses so i hope im looking for the right one now.
That being said should the one i currently have still be causing the issue i am getting?

Have you disconnected the levelling dial connector on that switch yet, as that isnt needed anymore given bixenons dont use this at all.

Yes that part number is for the facelift chrome switch for what you have & is what I use.

You must have a wiring or coding issue as it should work fine, given the switches arent interconnected as such, work independently of eachother.

Have you disconnected the levelling dial connector on that switch yet, as that isnt needed anymore given bixenons dont use this at all.

Yes that part number is for the facelift chrome switch for what you have & is what I use.

You must have a wiring or coding issue as it should work fine, given the switches arent interconnected as such, work independently of eachother.

no i still need to disconnect the levelling motor, good reminder.

thanks for the confirmation of the light switch, do you know how much they are or could you price me up on one?

i will check the coding again Jedi master! :wub: you have taught this padawan well

no i still need to disconnect the levelling motor, good reminder.

thanks for the confirmation of the light switch, do you know how much they are or could you price me up on one?

i will check the coding again Jedi master! :wub: you have taught this padawan well

One assumes you disconnected the levelling wires the other end so there are no shorts.

IIRC they're £67, can source & post if like.

Yeah somethings amiss mate

mine does that too when i try a facelift switch, i think its the default the car does if there is a fault in the switch or what will be the more likely case, not wired in correctly. Havent been able to get mine working yet.

so i am not alone in this... hmm there seems to be something in the switch that is causing issues... will investigate the switch wiring and see if i can figure this out! :detective2:

the switch i got has DRL where yours is auto. Problem is the facelift CE module is completely different to the version we have & so rewiring it is a bit more complicated & i was kinda relying on wire colours to match things up LOL

One assumes you disconnected the levelling wires the other end so there are no shorts.

IIRC they're £67, can source & post if like.

Yeah somethings amiss mate

Hi Mate,

can you find out the exact price and let me know? i am just waiting on getting paid end of this week and i should be able to get one from you :)

the switch i got has DRL where yours is auto. Problem is the facelift CE module is completely different to the version we have & so rewiring it is a bit more complicated & i was kinda relying on wire colours to match things up LOL

do you not have auto lights?
so how is your setup? which CE do you have?

i am going to try disconnecting the levelling motor switch first so i can count that out of the equation as the headlight is not wired in for that, leaving it in place will only make the car look for the headlight but then notice its not wired in at the headlight connector end as i have the kufatec adapter in place.

after that is complete i am going to try and disect my current headlight switch and see what is wired up in that comparing it to what i should have wired up just to make sure that i have got the right setup. as you said the lights stay on as an error in wiring or coding. I'm 99.9% sure that the wiring in mine is correct and also the coding is correct as i have all other functions working fine.

i like your style, I to do this!

To throw another scenario into this discussion i have autolights from factory and ash knows my CE module. My cars an 08 8p2 im doing xenons soon so how will the autolights be affected when we fit my bi xenons. Will i encounter the same problem?

To throw another scenario into this discussion i have autolights from factory and ash knows my CE module. My cars an 08 8p2 im doing xenons soon so how will the autolights be affected when we fit my bi xenons. Will i encounter the same problem?

Like i said before Farhan, let us complete the install first before worrying about another issue. in the meantime if i can figure out the fault on mine you wont need to worry!

honestly your such a granny sometimes :p

do you not have auto lights?
so how is your setup? which CE do you have?

i am going to try disconnecting the levelling motor switch first so i can count that out of the equation as the headlight is not wired in for that, leaving it in place will only make the car look for the headlight but then notice its not wired in at the headlight connector end as i have the kufatec adapter in place.

after that is complete i am going to try and disect my current headlight switch and see what is wired up in that comparing it to what i should have wired up just to make sure that i have got the right setup. as you said the lights stay on as an error in wiring or coding. I'm 99.9% sure that the wiring in mine is correct and also the coding is correct as i have all other functions working fine.

this is mine but for RHD. I've got a K rev CE module. There are extra wires that should be added some one is supposed to be for auto lights & DRL but what the problem is I'm relying on >2008 wiring for a 2010 switch as the wiring is totally different due to new style of CE. IIRC there are 3 wires for the headlight adjuster, 12v, earth & a yellow/grey wire that splits into two that must cycle the height. I reused these wire after splitting it LOL.
$(KGrHqF,!jkE5b4nUnBEBObdSOnvVw~~60_12.JPG

i think you also need to get the same switch as the one i am looking for which is the RHD of this:

1254285645_f6fcaa890a.jpg

as you can see its got the chrome but also is wired for our CE and is the actual headlight for our cars (xenon, auto, with DRL)

the light switch you currently have is for xenon but not auto.

i think you also need to get the same switch as the one i am looking for which is the RHD of this:

as you can see its got the chrome but also is wired for our CE and is the actual headlight for our cars (xenon, auto, with DRL)

xmas round the corner cuz, would you buy this for me?

If I get that switch i'd need to get auto lights too LOL.

If I get that switch i'd need to get auto lights too LOL.

ahh i thought you did have the auto lights... :keule:
because you posted this

mine does that too when i try a facelift switch, i think its the default the car does if there is a fault in the switch or what will be the more likely case, not wired in correctly. Havent been able to get mine working yet.

as i posted this thread because my auto lights are acting like a normal dipped beam where it will not go off with the light sensor.

so what problem have you got on yours ?

ah, it was in reference to BBlackburns lights staying on all the time. If I plug the facelift switch in the dip beam comes on all the time no matter what position is selected plus despite the warning lights illuminating on the switch, the front & rear fog lights dont come on as all. I like the idea of auto, its just having to have new windscreen as due to nature of insurance policy i dont have windscreen cover LOL

ahhh i see, i didnt know it was that bad on your switch. on mine its just when i put it in auto that it isnt responding to the sensor. whereas on yours it just lights up regardless of switch position? so which switch are you using right now?

is your auto levelling working?

Mine looks like a RHD of this:

$(KGrHqV,!k0E5YJd98seBOgJdqFz5w~~60_12.JPG

The wires to the headlight aim are no longer connected as i've got the auto leveling all wired in working properly.

ok so thats good, At least the leveller is good. And your lucky to have the DIS function for the DRL, i dont have that on mine, i think that only comes on the K module, My F module doesnt seem to allow me to have advanced convenience enabled (might be a convenience module thing)

i think the problem you will have is that the new facelift switch has a DRL function which you old one never did so you might need to wire that into the CE, as the headlight plug (10 pin black) does not have that wire that controls the DRL

Wire that in and then see how you get along?

ive tried a few things, would need to look back & see what i tried. The Facelift also has a separate 2 pin plug thats for the DRLs according to Elsa & I tried that to where i thought it should go on the CE going by the >2008 wiring

ok so to test Ewan, can you connect a pin from T10e/8 (light switch) to T16a/10 (16-pin connector, black - connector E) and disconnect the pin in T12d/8 (12-pin connector, brown - connector C)

the facelift switch has T10e/8 listed as the DRL pin and the pre-facelift has T16a/10 as the DRL on/off connector on the CE (module K)

T12d/8 is where T10e/8 is currently connected to on the CE so disconnect to not short out the connection.

simple explanation

currently = T10e/8 -> T12d/8
new (test) setup T10e/8 -> T16a/10

you shouldnt have a pin in T16a/10 as that is where the DRL switch in the light switch that i am looking to get should be connected to.

hope that makes sense

edit: alternatively take the connection from T12d/8 and plug it into T16a/10

ok so i was trying to recode the lights as i couldnt think what the problem was, I cleared any bulb warnings on the CE and i changed the coding on the CE Byte 21 to 'bi-xenon with additional high beam' and then back to 'bi-xenon with DRL' and somehow the auto lights just started working. really weird as i had no errors for the auto lights pack... but hey all is working fine now

thanks for your help anyway guys